2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
I'm with you Greg. It's really an amazing time to be a live and in the great city of Chicago. I, for one, moved near Wrigley field (within a walk 0.5 mi away) to get to enjoy this wonderful moment coming.

I moved out of Uptown just in time so I wouldn't have to be around there. My fiancé and her mom will be celebrating, but other than those two people I won't be happy for the other assholes who I know are Cubs fans (except for some elderly people).

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
I'm with you Greg. It's really an amazing time to be a live and in the great city of Chicago. I, for one, moved near Wrigley field (within a walk 0.5 mi away) to get to enjoy this wonderful moment coming.

But I don't want them to win it. I don't even want them in the WS.

I can't suggest betting the house on the Cubs cause they are such prohibitive favorites. I can't recommend betting so much money that you get a tidy profit. It's like betting the heavy heavy favorite at Arlington. It's not worth it.

But in terms of locks ... this is the biggest lock in a long long time. The AL team might as well be the Indians for the heck of it, cause the Cubs will roll through the postseason as our Sox did in 05.

Cubs over cleveland 4 games to none.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 10:34 PM)
But I don't want them to win it. I don't even want them in the WS.

I can't suggest betting the house on the Cubs cause they are such prohibitive favorites. I can't recommend betting so much money that you get a tidy profit. It's like betting the heavy heavy favorite at Arlington. It's not worth it.

But in terms of locks ... this is the biggest lock in a long long time. The AL team might as well be the Indians for the heck of it, cause the Cubs will roll through the postseason as our Sox did in 05.

Cubs over cleveland 4 games to none.

Without Salazar, CLE will run Kluber, Carrasco and Bauer out there. Might not be enough.

Let me ask you all this. Is there, or should there be "Chicago fans," where people are loyal to one team but cheer for the other in the postseason if their team is not there? And, if your wife/girlfriend/family/friends are Cubs fans or have ties to being Cubs fans, how would you approach what is about to happen this October? My approach right now is to just not address it and say they are having a hell of the season. I wish them well but I am not actively cheering for or against them.

I really can't see anyone but the Nationals having a legit shot beating the Northsiders in the postseason.

Edited by SpankyEaton

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
Let me ask you all this. Is there, or should there be "Chicago fans," where people are loyal to one team but cheer for the other in the postseason if their team is not there? And, if your wife/girlfriend/family/friends are Cubs fans or have ties to being Cubs fans, how would you approach what is about to happen this October? My approach right now is to just not address it and say they are having a hell of the season. I wish them well but I am not actively cheering for or against them.

I really can't see anyone but the Nationals having a legit shot beating the Northsiders in the postseason.

Thats how I'm kind of addressing it. Hard to deny they're having a hell of a season.

I don't root for or against them. A lot of people I know would be really happy if they won a world series. I don't watch Cubs games. The playoffs are a b**** though and variance trumps everything. Any of the 8 teams could win the whole thing because it's just so damn random.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
Some Cub fans on my FB feed were b****ing how they won the division yesterday. They kept saying it should not have happened this way. Whatever that means.

They should have won yesterday against a s*** Brewers team so they could celebrate at the game instead of waiting till near midnight when the Cardinals lost.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
My grandpa died in 1995, never saw a Cubs World Series. I was lucky enough to see my team win one when I was 25. As annoying as some Cubs fans are, I just don't care if they win it all. They saw us celebrate already.

I have had this talk with cubs fans. They claim their parade will be better and a ws win for them is more historic. I just can't win. lol

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
My grandpa died in 1995, never saw a Cubs World Series. I was lucky enough to see my team win one when I was 25. As annoying as some Cubs fans are, I just don't care if they win it all. They saw us celebrate already.

They can certainly celebrate, but I am more worried about the insults that they'll have for the next crosstown classic and for when the Sox and Cubs banter gets aggressive. I have said that I'll congratulate the Cubs for winning the World Series and I'll be happy for people who I love that will see that, but I won't be happy for all of the assholes that I know that love them.

The only reason the Cubs are a bit different than any other baseball team for me is because I do have a lot of close friends that I'd be super happy for if they do end up winning it all. That said, I'm not rooting for them and I'm not rooting against them, whatever happens...happens.

And they're obviously the best team in baseball but they're far from a lock to even get out of the NLDS, this is the baseball post season, it's random as s***.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
The only reason the Cubs are a bit different than any other baseball team for me is because I do have a lot of close friends that I'd be super happy for if they do end up winning it all. That said, I'm not rooting for them and I'm not rooting against them, whatever happens...happens.

And they're obviously the best team in baseball but they're far from a lock to even get out of the NLDS, this is the baseball post season, it's random as s***.

This is all me 100%. I won't sweat it or be pissed if they win.

Edited by soxfan2014

Nope.

How many of them rooted against the Sox in 2005? And with my grandfather no longer around, I'd gain no joy from them winning. And considering many of them would be gloating/making life miserable for Sox fans, I have the interest to root against them.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
Nope.

How many of them rooted against the Sox in 2005? And with my grandfather no longer around, I'd gain no joy from them winning. And considering many of them would be gloating/making life miserable for Sox fans, I have the interest to root against them.

Same. Hope they never win.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
The only people I'd be happy for if they won it all are the really old people and diehard fans that waited their entire lives for this.

The people that go to the games just to party and get drunk can f*** themselves.

I'll be rooting for any team that plays them.

Yeah the douchey frat boy type of fans can f*** themselves. I have friends that aren't bad to me about it so I don't care if they win for them.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
Yeah the douchey frat boy type of fans can f*** themselves. I have friends that aren't bad to me about it so I don't care if they win for them.

Yeah, the bandwagon f***ers piss me off. They will be jumping up and down screaming how much they love the cubs and have been waiting for this. Most can't even name the manager from 2014.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
Yeah, the bandwagon f***ers piss me off. They will be jumping up and down screaming how much they love the cubs and have been waiting for this. Most can't even name the manager from 2014.

I had friends saying they were waiting their whole lives for last season. So the NLCS. Which they were in in 2003.