White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins

Princess Dye

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)
I take that as a big f*** you to Saladino. I guess he never had a chance.

Nope. Both will be on the team. Both will play plenty during the season. Whoever plays better will play more.

Bizarre fixation, not just in this specific case, but in general with "who's gonna win the job?" and "who's gonna be named the starter?" Whoever plays the best will get the playing time during the season. Opening day is irrelevant. Micah Johnson was the opening day 2nd baseman. He lasted a month. We're talking about a $2 million 37 year old and a guy playing for the league minimum. There's no incentive to play anyone other than whoever is playing best.

Rollns should have the job on opening day assuming he shows he isn't cooked. He's done it for a ton of years. He hits left handed. He'll benefit from time off with Saladino playing particularly against lefties. If and when Saladino proves he's the bigger asset on the field on a daily basis, he'll play more.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 04:38 AM)
Nope. Both will be on the team. Both will play plenty during the season. Whoever plays better will play more.

Bizarre fixation, not just in this specific case, but in general with "who's gonna win the job?" and "who's gonna be named the starter?" Whoever plays the best will get the playing time during the season. Opening day is irrelevant. Micah Johnson was the opening day 2nd baseman. He lasted a month. We're talking about a $2 million 37 year old and a guy playing for the league minimum. There's no incentive to play anyone other than whoever is playing best.

Rollns should have the job on opening day assuming he shows he isn't cooked. He's done it for a ton of years. He hits left handed. He'll benefit from time off with Saladino playing particularly against lefties. If and when Saladino proves he's the bigger asset on the field on a daily basis, he'll play more.

You missed the bigger questions. Was Rollins brought in to be the starter? If so, what happens if Sanchez and Saladino have better springs than Rollins?? If Sanchez cannot play SS, who is the backup to Saladino if Rollins has nothing left??

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 08:52 PM)
When the Sox signed Jimmy Rollins it was to be the starting SS.

I agree. They use the minor-league contract so that they have an out in case he has absolutely nothing left, which is possible considering his age. But if he can play acceptably he's the man,for the last decade of this organization.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:38 AM)

Guys let's not act like Tyler Saladino is some kind of big deal. He is on the old side for a prospect and his MiLB record is very spotty. He has some nice skills and we saw that he could pick it at 3B last year, but if the Sox are trying to win this year then they don't owe him s***. I'm already borderline shocked that the Sox seem to be putting him ahead of Sanchez on the depth charts.

Like ss2k5 said, Rollins was signed to be the everyday SS, otherwise he wouldn't be here. I don't see this as some kind of timeshare.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 07:31 AM)
I agree. They use the minor-league contract so that they have an out in case he has absolutely nothing left, which is possible considering his age. But if he can play acceptably he's the man,for the last decade of this organization.

They a MiLB deal for a couple of reasons. First because they could. Second because the 40 man roster was full, and that way they didn't have to risk cutting someone.

Yes. Ventura made a lot of changes last year besides that. 3B, DH, etc.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)
Guys let's not act like Tyler Saladino is some kind of big deal. He is on the old side for a prospect and his MiLB record is very spotty. He has some nice skills and we saw that he could pick it at 3B last year, but if the Sox are trying to win this year then they don't owe him s***. I'm already borderline shocked that the Sox seem to be putting him ahead of Sanchez on the depth charts.

Honestly, Saladino is pretty much Trayce Thompson. He is a great defender, with a bat that is a long way behind it. He could start, but he is a guy that you would be looking to replace if he was your starter. I think the reason Saladino is ahead of Sanchez at SS is because Saladino can throw from SS and 3B, while Sanchez is a 2B.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
I don't understand the reasoning why people want Sanchez to be in AAA again.

In my opinion, he's already proved himself there and putting him back there again does him no good.

To me, he should either be in the big leagues or be traded.

He is an asset. If he isn't going to be starting, he still is needed as depth unless he is going to get us someone better.

In my opinion, he's already proved himself there and putting him back there again does him no good.

He's young enough to justify going back down and can still get every day at bats down there. He's fine going back.

Edited by soxfan2014

There isn't a spot for him in the majors though. Saladino is an ideal utility guy because he can play anywhere on the infield. I don't think Sanchez can play SS but they have been giving him reps at 3B.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
He's young enough to justify going back down and can still get every day at bats down there. He's fine going back.

Also true. Sanchez has been on the radar forever, but he has always been one of the youngest players at each level he has played at.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
He is an asset. If he isn't going to be starting, he still is needed as depth unless he is going to get us someone better.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)

Agree with you both. As long as Rollins, Saladino, Frazier and Lawrie are healthy, there's no playing time for Sanchez at the MLB level. The Sox can get Sanchez every day playing time down in Charlotte. Better to stash Sanchez there for the time being and fall back on him as the assert that he is instead of trading him and possibly needing to fall back on Leury Garcia. If a team wants to give + value for Sanchez in a trade that's fine but as of right now, Sanchez is probably more valuable to the Sox than he is to another team.

A 23 year old switch hitter with + defense and range is an asset worth keeping.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
Agree with you both. As long as Rollins, Saladino, Frazier and Lawrie are healthy, there's no playing time for Sanchez at the MLB level. The Sox can get Sanchez every day playing time down in Charlotte. Better to stash Sanchez there for the time being and fall back on him as the assert that he is instead of trading him and possibly needing to fall back on Leury Garcia. If a team wants to give + value for Sanchez in a trade that's fine but as of right now, Sanchez is probably more valuable to the Sox than he is to another team.

A 23 year old switch hitter with + defense and range is an asset worth keeping.

And I would rather have him playing every day in Charlotte, versus once a week in Chicago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
And I would rather have him playing every day in Charlotte, versus once a week in Chicago.

Exactly. We all know he can field 2B so I'm wondering if the Sox will put Davidson at 1B/DH from time to time so that Sanchez can gain some experience playing 3B. I kind of doubt Sanchez has the arm for playing the left side of the infield but I could be wrong.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Exactly. We all know he can field 2B so I'm wondering if the Sox will put Davidson at 1B/DH from time to time so that Sanchez can gain some experience playing 3B. I kind of doubt Sanchez has the arm for playing the left side of the infield but I could be wrong.

Spring Training and AAA are the places to find that out.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (OnlyGillis @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 11:22 PM)
He must have a terrible agent.

Edit: I just looked up his agent and the guy has Pujols and Votto. I wonder what he has against Jimmy.

Maybe Rollins really believes in himself, especially given his competition. The player ultimately makes the call.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 22m22 minutes ago Goodyear, AZ

Robin Ventura says he knows who will be the White Sox starting shortstop in Oakland... He declined to tell us today.

Oh great. Who do people want to be the SS? I think Saladino would be my choice but I feel like Robin will go with Rollins