Adam Eaton "Racial" Tweet Controversy

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
If you read his tweet on its own it seems innocuous. But he was tweeting during the opening monologue, which implies that he was saying 'i cant be bothered with this'

and that is not a good look.

It doesn't imply anything that people aren't looking to infer from it.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
It doesn't imply anything that people aren't looking to infer from it.

An activist is on TV speaking

You say 'why does everything have to be about race'

Then by definition you're saying 'get off my TV'

That's exactly how it came off. We can root for these guys and not blindly defend them 100% of the time. He messed up and his apology is warranted, and I'm glad he apologized in a direct way too, leaving no doubt. The situation called for it.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)

That's exactly how it came off. We can root for these guys and not blindly defend them 100% of the time. He messed up and his apology is warranted, and I'm glad he apologized in a direct way too, leaving no doubt. The situation called for it.

He is saying why does everything have to be divisive, which is exactly what taking the "get off my tv" position is doing back.

Eaton said nothing more than "can't we all just get along".

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
He apologized, it's over. I really don't care about this.

Often, people use verbiage like this to hide their racism, but I honestly don't believe Adam Eaton is a racist or anything like that.

I just think he may not have known the context for why Chris Rock was giving the monologue he gave.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
If you read his tweet on its own it seems innocuous. But he was tweeting during the opening monologue, which implies that he was saying 'i cant be bothered with this'

and that is not a good look.

So basically he gets muddied up because you inferred what he meant in a tweet sent during the Oscars opening? Seems like a big stretch to me, and not insulting in any way.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
So basically he gets muddied up because you inferred what he meant in a tweet sent during the Oscars opening? Seems like a big stretch to me, and not insulting in any way.

You can't say "Why does it have to be about race?", when the Academy made the ceremony about race months ago. Everyone knows why it's important.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)

But this is your OPINION, not a fact. I don't feel he owes anyone an apology, and was not offended in the least. People are way too quick to make a mountain out of a molehill, especially when anything is related to race.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
The media made it about race, not the Academy imo. Media ran with it, hoping for a fire. It's no surprise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
And the response to the Academy made it about race.

The Academy nominated all white people. The media did its job: They exposed systematic discrimination by an organization run by liberals.

Please don't pretend this race issue holds no water. It absolutely does.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
The Academy nominated all white people. The media did its job: They exposed systematic discrimination by an organization run by liberals.

Please don't pretend this race issue holds no water. It absolutely does.

Its not about nominations, its about opportunity.

There was probably one minority acting snub from all of the roles, but there were other white people snubbed as well. The point is the roles available arent equal therefore nominations dont happen.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)

There was probably one minority acting snub from all of the roles, but there were other white people snubbed as well. The point is the roles available arent equal therefore nominations dont happen.

Agreed. but the available roles is just the problem, and it is a real one. It's not a media fabrication.

When Chris Rock did his "man on the street" thing with black people outside a movie theater in Compton, he asked them if they saw (fill in the blank "white" movie). The answer was pretty much "no" across the board.

If, as a community, you largely ignore "white" films, how can you be outraged when black actors/films aren't nominated? If you, as a community, don't see the work done by white actors in "white" films, what is your frame of reference for outrage?

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
When Chris Rock did his "man on the street" thing with black people outside a movie theater in Compton, he asked them if they saw (fill in the blank "white" movie). The answer was pretty much "no" across the board.

If, as a community, you largely ignore "white" films, how can you be outraged when black actors/films aren't nominated? If you, as a community, don't see the work done by white actors in "white" films, what is your frame of reference for outrage?

Bingo.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)

This brings up a good point, man on the street things are always good frames of reference to understand a community.

It doesn't really matter what movies people in Compton are watching. Award nominations can't be about how many people saw the film, or else Star Wars gets all the Oscars for 2016. People who vote are supposed to watch all the films, "black" "white" and whatever doesn't fit into those categories.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)
He is saying why does everything have to be divisive, which is exactly what taking the "get off my tv" position is doing back.

Eaton said nothing more than "can't we all just get along".

Exactly. He made a simple tweet. He did nothing wrong. That's one reason Trump winning wouldn't be so bad. This P.C. world is fricking ridiculous. Like that situation at Mizzou. Half that stuff was set up and caused by ACTIVISTS. No wonder Pinkel said the hell with it and got out. He's too old to put up with all this p.c. crap.

Poor Eaton. So many celebrities have had careers ruined by little tweets. I don't blame him on this one except he was ridiculously stupid to not realize you can't say what you really think on "social media." He should have thought one thing, said that to his wife, then wrote, "You tell em, Chris Rock! I've always loved Chris Rock and he's great as usual tonight!"

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
Exactly. He made a simple tweet. He did nothing wrong. That's one reason Trump winning wouldn't be so bad. This P.C. world is fricking ridiculous. Like that situation at Mizzou. Half that stuff was set up and caused by ACTIVISTS. No wonder Pinkel said the hell with it and got out. He's too old to put up with all this p.c. crap.

Poor Eaton. So many celebrities have had careers ruined by little tweets. I don't blame him on this one except he was ridiculously stupid to not realize you can't say what you really think on "social media." He should have thought one thing, said that to his wife, then wrote, "You tell em, Chris Rock! I've always loved Chris Rock and he's great as usual tonight!"

Oh Greg....

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
I just think he may not have known the context for why Chris Rock was giving the monologue he gave.

I think this is 100 percent what happened. Like I said, not a big deal but he does have to be smarter than this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)

This is probably a better question for caulfield but I've heard multiple people bring up the fact that Asians are generally racist. Movie studios make a ton of money overseas and in Asian nations, they don't want to see movies with black people in them. I'm not sure how true this is but Bill Maher brought it up and I've seen it mentioned in a couple of other places as well.