Adam Eaton "Racial" Tweet Controversy

Jose Abreu

Robin Ventura prefers players stay off social media (1/2): "Any time you get on twitter you’re going to get some backlash I don’t care ..."

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/704432244593545216

Robin Ventura on social media 2/2: " you say. ... It just never goes well, I don’t care what you say. So it’s just better to stay off it."

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/704432428287336449

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 10:58 PM)
Oh Greg....

I just don't see what he said that was so bad. Eaton's only problem is tweeting anything besides cliches to please all fans of all teams. Like "Boy I'm having fun in the sun at spring training!" Gosh oh gee I feel like if we play as well as we can we can do some great things this year!"

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 11:36 PM)
Robin Ventura prefers players stay off social media (1/2): "Any time you get on twitter you’re going to get some backlash I don’t care ..."

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/704432244593545216

Robin Ventura on social media 2/2: " you say. ... It just never goes well, I don’t care what you say. So it’s just better to stay off it."

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/704432428287336449

Robin is 100 percent right. Unless you are willing to be a Trump and fight back you simply can't afford to Tweet anything remotely topical or deemed as controversial in this day and age. It's simply absurd the PC in today's world but it is what it is (see, I know my cliches). Kudos to Robin. He's 100 percent right.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
This is probably a better question for caulfield but I've heard multiple people bring up the fact that Asians are generally racist. Movie studios make a ton of money overseas and in Asian nations, they don't want to see movies with black people in them. I'm not sure how true this is but Bill Maher brought it up and I've seen it mentioned in a couple of other places as well.

First of all, I don't think many white people saw The Artist, Carol, The Room or Brooklyn, either...to respond to an earlier comment. I also doubt many white people saw Beasts of No Nation or the documentary about honor killings in Pakistan. That's not the point. When they constantly make movies and "whitewash" the characters like in Aloha or Gods of Egypt, there's a real issue.

As far as Asia goes, what Jimmy said is largely true. Denzel Washington action movies like Man on Fire or the Equalizer don't sell well here at all. Now if you throw Chris Pine and a train into the story, great. Same thing with stories involving interracial romance unless it's mostly white men with Asian women. The only way you can be embraced is as a martial arts crossover star. And, in general, comedies don't translate...so you'll never have a Kevin Hart movie. About the only exception was the Rush Hour series with Tucker and Chan and Zhang Ziyi, but, even then it got banned by the third movie for negative stereotypes about Chinese triads/criminal activity.

On the other hand, Kobe Bryant and Stephon Marbury (plays in Chinese league still) are wildly popular, as well as some of the African footballrs in the Euro leagues...but, once again, not in the context of movies and tv shows.

In general, I typically hear comments like "black people are dirty/meaning not white or pale skin as well" and the worst one, that lots of black people (students here from Africa mostly) all have disease/s. Most Chinese parents and grandparents won't allow their children to date men of color as well. While I do see quite a few college or university interracial couples...the eventual marriage rate is infinitesimal.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 05:06 PM)
First of all, I don't think many white people saw The Artist, Carol, The Room or Brooklyn, either...to respond to an earlier comment. I also doubt many white people saw Beasts of No Nation or the documentary about honor killings in Pakistan. That's not the point. When they constantly make movies and "whitewash" the characters like in Aloha or Gods of Egypt, there's a real issue.

As far as Asia goes, what Jimmy said is largely true. Denzel Washington action movies like Man on Fire or the Equalizer don't sell well here at all. Now if you throw Chris Pine and a train into the story, great. Same thing with stories involving interracial romance unless it's mostly white men with Asian women. The only way you can be embraced is as a martial arts crossover star. And, in general, comedies don't translate...so you'll never have a Kevin Hart movie. About the only exception was the Rush Hour series with Tucker and Chan and Zhang Ziyi, but, even then it got banned by the third movie for negative stereotypes about Chinese triads/criminal activity.

On the other hand, Kobe Bryant and Stephon Marbury (plays in Chinese league still) are wildly popular, as well as some of the African footballrs in the Euro leagues...but, once again, not in the context of movies and tv shows.

In general, I typically hear comments like "black people are dirty/meaning not white or pale skin as well" and the worst one, that lots of black people (students here from Africa mostly) all have disease/s. Most Chinese parents and grandparents won't allow their children to date men of color as well. While I do see quite a few college or university interracial couples...the eventual marriage rate is infinitesimal.

:huh:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
:huh:

He asked me what most Asians think...I can't speak for all, obviously, but I've lived/worked in South Korea, China (3 cities), Thailand, the Philippines and Indonesia. A pretty good mixture in terms of skin color and socioeconomic groups.

In general, Korean/Chinese/Japanese and Singaporeans feel they are the dominant countries now, and represent the "whitest/purest" in their own minds.

As far as racism goes, it's VERY prevalent. China does not have a diverse culture internally, despite the feeling (as a foreigner/visitor) of Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong/Guangzhou/Shenzhen being "melting pots" compared to the interior of the country.

My wife went to one of the top 5-6 universities in China and she still has lots of incorrect (I'm sure most Americans would call them racist) ideas in her head that mostly come from Chinese culture/stereotyping but also as a result of watching lots of American t.v. shows and movies. One can only imagine those with lesser educations being even more ill-informed.

And I did think of one, but only one, movie star who was/is very popular in China...Will Smith. But his popularity more or less peaked here with I Am Legend. The the sci-fi film he did with his son (one of the worst movies that year) actually did pretty good box office here in China before the negative reviews caught up with it. Cloud Atlas did better box office than in the US, and Halle Berry is one of the stars of that film. On the other hand, Creed wasn't shown here and Django Unchained was pulled by the government at the last second.

AND NOW, BACK TO ADAM EATON TALK, sponsored by the Score

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
Anyone ever read the tweets from Gordon beckham's wife? I'm surprised that never became a topic back when he was with the team.

Gordon Beckham's wife is

1) Not a celebrity

2) Not affiliated with the Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 04:16 AM)
Gordon Beckham's wife is

1) Not a celebrity

2) Not affiliated with the Chicago White Sox

Yes and no. Was involved in a lot of white sox charity events. Regardless, it's just a risk not worth taking.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/adam-eaton-tweet-oscars

Now the Eaton story has become "mainstream," getting picked up as a headline at USA Today and Yahoo News.

SIGH.

As far as Gordon's wife goes, it's not totally unexpected. She grew up in the Deep South, just like Scott Fletcher (her father), Greg Walker, Hawk Harrelson, etc. Beckham made a series of comments over time that were perceived to be anti-Obama, but, once again...it is what it is. Democrats in general struggle to get to 25% in some of those rural counties in Georgia and South Carolina.

http://www.gammonsdaily.com/gordon-beckham...nvitation-list/

Beckham and his fiance (Tiffany Fletcher) also invited President George W. Bush and Laura Bush to his wedding in 2013. Apparently Scooter was a favorite player of his when he co-owned the Rangers.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 06:20 AM)
Good story about Gordon Beckhams wedding invites. Compelling and rich

Do you believe the White Sox prefer for their players to be openly political?

It's probably not very helpful from a public relations standpoint to criticize the most famous White Sox fan in the world...many would see it as disrespectful.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 06:34 AM)
Do you believe the White Sox prefer for their players to be openly political?

It's probably not very helpful from a public relations standpoint to criticize the most famous White Sox fan in the world...many would see it as disrespectful.

I don't really see Beckham inviting George Bush to his wedding as an openly political statement, and I don't really see it running parallel with Eaton either

I honestly had no idea Gordon was married to Scooter's wife!

As for the thread, and to touch on Rock's post, the racism comes in the form of art imitating life. Just as we live in a world of inequality, our art imitates and perpetuates that inequality.

I was watching someone comment on tv about how some of the members of the academy don't even watch all the movies they are voting on, even for categories as critical as best picture. And this goes to the point someone made sort of indirectly about Chris Rock's bit outside the theater in Compton...a lot of times we're not particularly interested in movies that don't seem familiar or similar to our lives or our place in the world. Maybe I don't identify with Beasts of No Nation and so I don't give it much of a chance, but Spotlight...now that's something I am interested in! This is where the racism occurs...not so much in its old forms of "gasp, Idris Elba cannot win because he is black," but "eh, I'm not particularly interested in a movie on this subject matter."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 05:46 AM)
And this goes to the point someone made sort of indirectly about Chris Rock's bit outside the theater in Compton...Maybe I don't identify with Beasts of No Nation and so I don't give it much of a chance, but Spotlight...

My main point with using the Compton man on the street bit was to illuminate that there is all this outrage about no black actors being nominated, but who do you think deserved to be nominated? Idris Elba? Ok, I've heard he was great. Who does he replace? Eddie Redmayne? Oh, you didn't see his The Danish Girl? So, how can you have that opinion?

I'm not saying no black actors or directors deserved to be nominated. But, who and who do they replace?

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 05:16 AM)
My main point with using the Compton man on the street bit was to illuminate that there is all this outrage about no black actors being nominated, but who do you think deserved to be nominated? Idris Elba? Ok, I've heard he was great. Who does he replace? Eddie Redmayne? Oh, you didn't see his The Danish Girl? So, how can you have that opinion?

I'm not saying no black actors or directors deserved to be nominated. But, who and who do they replace?

I don't presume to answer that question. I don't even watch many movies.

I think the point some are trying to make though, by claiming there is an element of racism here, is that there is an inequitable measure of minority representation in the celebration of the best achievements of the motion picture industry, or however might be a better way of putting that. That may not be occurring overtly, but simply as an imitation or indirect furtherance of the disproportionately low representation minorities have in other facets of our modern civilization.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
Dear professional athletes,

Unless you are going to use your bloated salaries to affect any sort of real change, shut the hell up and perform on your field of play. That's all we care about. Stick to your day job.

The First Amendment applies to professional athletes as well as those of us in this message board.

No one has to shut up, this isn't North Korea or Cuba.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
Exactly. He made a simple tweet. He did nothing wrong. That's one reason Trump winning wouldn't be so bad. This P.C. world is fricking ridiculous. Like that situation at Mizzou. Half that stuff was set up and caused by ACTIVISTS. No wonder Pinkel said the hell with it and got out. He's too old to put up with all this p.c. crap.

Poor Eaton. So many celebrities have had careers ruined by little tweets. I don't blame him on this one except he was ridiculously stupid to not realize you can't say what you really think on "social media." He should have thought one thing, said that to his wife, then wrote, "You tell em, Chris Rock! I've always loved Chris Rock and he's great as usual tonight!"

I might vote for Trump for just that one reason alone: to combat political-correctness and the increasing stifling of free speech.

It's turning into an Orwellian nightmare these days and it has to be stopped. If anyone might be the slightest bit put off by a comment, people are guilt-tripped into apologizing even if no real harm was done. No one can freely speak their minds anymore and it's BS, it's definitely not America.

Eaton shouldn't have apologized, he instead should have pulled "a Trump" and boldly denied that he said anything that could even be remotely construed as racist. He shouldn't be catering to the PC extremists. By apologizing, it makes it looks like he DID do something wrong and helps to fuel more PC in a vicious cycle.

I sincerely hope that Sox management didn't order him to apologize. That would be a serious chicken-poo move.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
The First Amendment applies to professional athletes as well as those of us in this message board.

LMAO what?

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)

Congrats for completely misunderstanding what the amendment right to free speech actually means.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
The first amendment gives us all the right to post insensitive things on social media and then get torched by SJWs and get fired from our jobs, yet not get imprisoned. yay!

Freedom of Speech is a two way street. Just because you have the right to say something stupid, doesn't negate somebody else's freedom of speech to respond as to exactly how stupid it was.