Panda

Lillian

This article from a couple weeks ago, suggests that the Red Sox appear to be ready to extricate themselves from the Sandoval disaster:.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2...PeLP/story.html

How much of his horrible contract would boston have to pay to get a team to take him off their hands?

The first thing the acquiring team should do is suggest that he have liposuction, on that enormous belly.

Then they would need to assign someone to cook for him and "baby sit" him, to make sure that he eats what he's supposed to eat.

Back down to a reasonable weight, could he provide that left handed, middle of the order bat, the White Sox could use, vs. RHP?

Who would sit? I really would like to give Avi as much of an opportunity to succeed, as possible. I'd hate to see him only getting at bats vs. LHP.

Avi is too young and too intriguing to be platooned, this early in his career.

Any ideas?

Edited by Lillian

With there being a fair chance of his getting released, it would pretty much take a Josh Hamilton back to Texas from Anaheim type of deal to make it worth while. The Red Sox would have to take on almost the entire contract, PLUS not get any real player in return for it to be worth thinking about.

Realistically, I'd take a chance that he gets released and pick him up without having the obligation of any contract, versus being connected to him for another four seasons.

If they paid all the money and paid for his trainer, chef, and babysitter, I would give them a bag of balls. The only consideration is that he could stay on the DL for about 4-6 weeks losing weight and getting in shape. Also a clause for him called Taser Tuesday. Every time he misses his weight he is chased around the infield(burns calories) until he ultimately gets tased. New promotion! ……..All this firmly tongue in cheek, I don't advocate tasing people. Pandas even less.

I agree with all of you. Now that the shoulder injury appears to be something serious, it wouldn't make any sense, at any price.

Would someone please close this thread? It was just a thought and I was merely asking. I think I have my answer.

To all of you who are complaining about having raised this idea again: I stated, shortly after posting it, that I agree that it's a bad idea, especially now

that he appears to have a serious shoulder injury.

My original interest was based upon the fact that his career numbers vs. RHP are pretty intriguing: .298 .352 .484

He is still only 29 and I was speculating that Boston might eat enough of his salary to make it palatable.

I assume that the wise crack about Sizemore was yet another of the never ending references to my ill advised fascination with his potential "comeback".

Will I never live that one down? LOL

I still don't think that it was a foolish suggestion. That was a couple of years ago, when Sizemore was still only 31. He's the same age as Cano and Sin Chu Soo,

who had both just signed huge free agent contracts.

Back then, as now, the Sox needed a left handed bat, with Dunn retiring. Hey, he would have been a better gamble than signing La Roche. At least we wouldn't have had to commit to more than one year, and with almost no impact on the payroll. It would have saved us the whole disrupting fiasco over Adam and his son.

Sizemore didn't make the comeback, on which I wanted to gamble. So what? What kind of a gamble did La Roche turn out to be? And he was 35 when the Sox signed him.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 16, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
To all of you who are complaining about having raised this idea again: I stated, shortly after posting it, that I agree that it's a bad idea, especially now

that he appears to have a serious shoulder injury.

My original interest was based upon the fact that his career numbers vs. RHP are pretty intriguing: .298 .352 .484

He is still only 29 and I was speculating that Boston might eat enough of his salary to make it palatable.

I assume that the wise crack about Sizemore was yet another of the never ending references to my ill advised fascination with his potential "comeback".

Will I never live that one down? LOL

I still don't think that it was a foolish suggestion. That was a couple of years ago, when Sizemore was still only 31. He's the same age as Cano and Sin Chu Soo,

who had both just signed huge free agent contracts.

Back then, as now, the Sox needed a left handed bat, with Dunn retiring. Hey, he would have been a better gamble than signing La Roche. At least we wouldn't have had to commit to more than one year, and with almost no impact on the payroll. It would have saved us the whole disrupting fiasco over Adam and his son.

Sizemore didn't make the comeback, on which I wanted to gamble. So what? What kind of a gamble did La Roche turn out to be? And he was 35 when the Sox signed him.

What is getting old is in your quest for a middle of the order left handed bat, you suggest hitters who aren't middle of the order hitters anymore. Sizemore hadn't played in 3 seasons yet you thought he would make a fine clean up hitter, Panda sucked last year and really was no better than Conor Gillaspie the year before, that was before his got even heavier to the point he belt exploded on a swing and a miss the other day. Panda is eating his way out of baseball. If he wasn't owed the money he was owed, he probably would be stuffing his face right now somewhere as an ex ball player. He is a talented guy, it is a shame he either won't get the help he needs to put himself in a better position to perform, or he just can't do it. It isn't like he has to be all that well conditioned to play baseball. But he is off the charts now, and going the wrong way. It is one of those signings where you just knew what was going to happen. The guy has played well fat before, but he is getting older and fatter.

I would think a professional athlete being paid what he is being paid would want to be in the physical condition he needed to be in to provide the most value. From some of his comments last year, it seems like he doesn't really give a s***. He is content getting paid .

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
What is getting old is in your quest for a middle of the order left handed bat, you suggest hitters who aren't middle of the order hitters anymore. Sizemore hadn't played in 3 seasons yet you thought he would make a fine clean up hitter, Panda sucked last year and really was no better than Conor Gillaspie the year before, that was before his got even heavier to the point he belt exploded on a swing and a miss the other day. Panda is eating his way out of baseball. If he wasn't owed the money he was owed, he probably would be stuffing his face right now somewhere as an ex ball player. He is a talented guy, it is a shame he either won't get the help he needs to put himself in a better position to perform, or he just can't do it. It isn't like he has to be all that well conditioned to play baseball. But he is off the charts now, and going the wrong way. It is one of those signings where you just knew what was going to happen. The guy has played well fat before, but he is getting older and fatter.

I would think a professional athlete being paid what he is being paid would want to be in the physical condition he needed to be in to provide the most value. From some of his comments last year, it seems like he doesn't really give a s***. He is content getting paid .

I guess that I do tend to explore some pretty desperate alternatives, in my never ending quest for a left handed hitter. I'm the first to admit that.

However, don't you agree that the Sox do in deed need a left handed bat? Right now, Melky is pretty much the only guy who can break up the string of Abreu, Frazier, Lawrie and Avi. Yes, you're right. I do obsess over that void, on the Sox roster.

You will note that our offense has pretty much stunk, during these last few seasons, that I have been harping on this topic. If these guys were getting it done, all from the right side, it would be less of an issue. Rick Hahn has himself, similarly expressed the need for a left handed bat. His choice of LaRoche was a failure, and Kenny Williams' pick of Dunn, wasn't exactly a smashing success, when you consider the cost. So I guess my suggestions haven't been much worse, and would have cost a lot less. They're just lucky LaRoche bowed out of the remainder of his contract. I wish that this organization would finally address this need, and acquire a decent left handed, power bat. Then we could all stop speculating about these desperate possible solutions. Until then, the "quest" continues.

Do you have any realistic candidates, whom you would like to suggest?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)

He is a freaking slob. End of story.