Early Trade Speculation

hi8is

The White Sox aren't going to DFA Danks and then bring in Coats or Danny Hayes.

Chris Carter

Ryan Braun

Kemp

CarGo

Rasmus

Beltran or Gardner

Justin Bour

Freeman

Markakis

Bruce

Reddick

Carlos Gomez

Logan Morrison (might be DFA'ed soon)

Those are the type of names they're looking at...players with significant MLB experience, preferably in the AL.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox have to wait another month for more AL teams to sink. I dont think the Marines and A's will still be seeing themselves as contenders June 4th, and the Yankees are quickly approaching "abandon ship" mode. Those are three very interesting rosters the Sox can pillage.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 4, 2016 -> 12:25 AM)
Sox have to wait another month for more AL teams to sink. I dont think the Marines and A's will still be seeing themselves as contenders June 4th, and the Yankees are quickly approaching "abandon ship" mode. Those are three very interesting rosters the Sox can pillage.

Tanaka & Tex or Beltran take this team a long way in a short time.

Masahiro has a full no trade and a sizable commitment going forward [16-19: $22M, 20: $23M], but KW does always seem to get his man. Tanaka is the six months older than Sale and would fit this teams window like a glove.

Sale

Quintana

Tanaka

Rodon

all under control for the next 3 years.

I think the opposite as far as Tanaka.

The lessons from contracts like Danks, Dunn, Rios, etc., have shown how much the entire team is hamstrung when just a couple of huge contracts underperform. We simply don't have the cushion there that teams like the Red Sox or Cubs do to overcome it...which has led to a number of bargain signings this offseason (Avila/Navarro, Jackson, Rollins, Latos, etc.)

In the end, from our payroll position and without a consistently reliable farm system, that 2005 White Sox approach (or 2013 Red Sox in terms of value FA's like Napoli, Victorino, S. Drew, Gomes, Ross, etc.) has to be the best path forward because of all the health risks of Tanaka blowing up and pulling down the whole team with him in terms of low financial flexibility in the future.

One would think they would tend to look at players who are becoming free agents after this season and 2017, with the POSSIBILITY of the right player who would be team-controlled through 2018...but they're going to have to feel very comfortable with the risk assessment.

That $111 million to Tanaka would almost 2/3rd's larger than the biggest Sox contract ever awarded...to Abreu.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2016 -> 11:37 PM)
Okay, so what are you willing to give up for Rasmus?

If it's going to cost Adams + _________ (someone else between 6-15 in the system), do you still do it?

There are a lot of names out there still, but most of those longer-term contracts will involve even more complicated contractual considerations or possibly another three-way trade.

They'll give you Carlos Gomez for free right now, do you take that chance? Don't answer, Hawk.

What about Marisnick, Tucker or Singleton?

Rasmus wouldn't cost Adams +, so I'm not going to deal in hypotheticals

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2016 -> 07:35 AM)
Would Julio Teheran cost Tim Anderson?

That's an interesting name. 25 years old, lot of control left, RHP, that would be something I'd consider giving up Anderson for.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2016 -> 07:35 AM)
Would Julio Teheran cost Tim Anderson?

Tehran is a mid rotation guy who would help more to get to the playoffs than in the playoffs. That may be his price but it's too much. Such trades of course rarely help and usually cause harm. But that doesn't stop the exuberance for them. Heck no one is even talking about Frazier, the super super slugger, and his Dunn-like output.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 4, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
Tehran is a mid rotation guy who would help more to get to the playoffs than in the playoffs. That may be his price but it's too much. Such trades of course rarely help and usually cause harm. But that doesn't stop the exuberance for them. Heck no one is even talking about Frazier, the super super slugger, and his Dunn-like output.

You're right. Trade Frazier for 5 mediocre prospects and bring up Davidson. Can't be any worse than his Dunn like output, amirite?

Edited by TheTruth05

Frazier is on pace for 3 WAR, he's not one to complain about.

Probably because everything points to Frazier being very good and not at like Dunn? 9.5% BB% (8.6% average), 19% K% (21.4% average), .233 ISO (.173 average among ML 3B), .200 BABIP (.284 for his career), 3 DRS, 1.3 UZR, 5.5 UZR/150. That's a good baseball player who's been unlucky on balls in play.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ May 4, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
You're right. Trade Frazier for 5 mediocre prospects and bring up Davidson. Can't be any worse than his Dunn like output, amirite?

Exactly. It's not like Frazier is playing defense any better than Dunn, after all. Heck, Davidson is a young, cost-controlled asset that will give the Sox the same production. Why can't they see that?

He only has a .740 OPS but he's on pace for another 30+ homer season and has already accumulated 1.2 WAR because of stellar defense at 3B.

Heck no one is even talking about Frazier, the super super slugger, and his Dunn-like output.

This is so very far off. Do you even watch games? Do you at least check the numbers before you post stuff like this?

I've heard a lot of people talking about what a welcome addition Frazier has been. Then again, I pay attention.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 4, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
I know it's not as big of a need, but thinking ahead towards October, it would be interesting to add a name like Aroldis Chapman to this bullpen.

While Chapman would be an asset to any bullpen, we don't really need help there. I'd add a #5 starter and a left-handed DH before Chapman.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
I agree under a few caveats.

1.) The Yankees have to continue to suck obviously.

2.) The Yankees have to eat some money.

3.) He has to rebound a bit. Dude had trouble with his wrists his whole career. It'd only be for the rest of this season, but you want to make sure he's not doing a Paulie fall off the cliff.

L CF Eaton

S LF Melky

R 1B Abreu

R 3B Frazier

S DH Texiera

R 3B Lawrie

L/S C Avila/Navarro

S/R SS Rollins/Saladino

R CF Jackson

That's so much better than what we have right now.

I'd be on board. What happened with his wrists? Did he fracture them at some point? I know he's had issues and obviously hurts his swing and production.