Tim Anderson's development

ronkark

Definitely depressing when you start looking up the Sox top tier prospects and read over their minor league numbers so far this season....brutal. Courtney Hawkins might be on an even worse trajectory, after starting off his career with such promise (ala Jared Mitchell).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ronkark @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 11:37 PM)
72 ABs

Zero walks.

given that was one of the things he was told to work on, that's concerning. He's making Alexei Ramirez look patient.

You can't do that unless you're overly aggressive. I mean, that doesn't even seem possible. He has to have come across some pitcher unabe to find the strike zone.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

What's this dude's issue? From all indications he has a pretty sweet line drive stroke with a great contact rate -- SO TAKE SOME PITCHES. Why be so afraid to go deep in the count? Seems to a org wide failure as much as an individual one IMO. At some point a coach needs to sit him down and radically adjust his approach.

Unless he's Vlad with the plate coverage being over aggressive in MLB is a great way to put up a line like Avi or 2015 Ramirez.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 06:42 AM)
His walk rate was horrible in the first half of last season at AA before showing improvement. Let's give him another month before we panic, he needs to learn how to hit the junk he's seeing in AAA before he knows what to lay off.

This is exactly right.

First, anyone who thought he'd get to AAA and suddenly hit .300, I don't know what to tell you. Every indication was that this level would be a challenge, and that he'd likely struggle at first. And that's what we are seeing. Let the guy develop.

Second, understand why he was able to hit as well as he did before without walking much or at all. He's got insanely fast hands, excellent barrel control and prime athleticism. Those things can't be taught. But he was not only over-aggressive, he was also going in without a good plan at times, and made poor choices on swing judgment. Those things CAN be taught, though obviously there's no guarantee he learns it. But it's crucial to see that his downfall right now is something repairable.

Just adjust your thinking to be 2017 for Anderson, which is what it should have been all along, and you'll feel more comfortable.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 11:56 PM)
Definitely depressing when you start looking up the Sox top tier prospects and read over their minor league numbers so far this season....brutal. Courtney Hawkins might be on an even worse trajectory, after starting off his career with such promise (ala Jared Mitchell).

He's a 22 year old in AAA that has produced at every level. Relax.

I am not worried at all about Anderson now that we know what the basis of that "mysterious disappearance" was. He'll be fine, the biggest concern for me has always been his defense and from what I understand that continues to improve.

In the end, I don't think he's going to be in the Sox org much longer. Other teams have things the Sox are going to want very badly, and Anderson is a chip the Sox can cash in for something very, very useful.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)
I am not worried at all about Anderson now that we know what the basis of that "mysterious disappearance" was. He'll be fine, the biggest concern for me has always been his defense and from what I understand that continues to improve.

In the end, I don't think he's going to be in the Sox org much longer. Other teams have things the Sox are going to want very badly, and Anderson is a chip the Sox can cash in for something very, very useful.

Anderson isn't going anywhere after we moved Semien in that horrible Ynoa deal. Rollins is quickly approaching 40 and is horrid against RHP and Saladino while he hasn't been given a fair shake at the major league level appears to be a solid bench player, same likely fate for Sanchez. Anderson is exactly what this team needs a young cost controlled SS. Another bat will be a needed addition but with Melkys new found defensive competence in LF they can likely just pursue a DH / back up 1B and if the yankees continue to trend downward Tex and Beltran make a lot of sense for not a lot of money or talent.

Trading Anderson makes little sense if you look at how many position players potentially will be gone after 2017...which is pretty much everyone but Abreu and Eaton.

You simply can't continue to not produce ANY regular position players internally and continue to compete at a mid-tier payroll number and with mid-tier revenues.

Realistically, the only way to do that is to be able to find a Jose Quintana, Latos, JD Martinez, Colin McHugh, etc., with your scouting department and not ever have to pay top free agents. That's just incredibly difficult to do consistently against 29 other organizations that are all looking for the exact same assets you are.

Whether Anderson is at SS, 2B, CF or DH, he needs to be in our future batting order.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 06:46 AM)
Who said the Sox should trade Anderson?

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:05 PM) *

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 08:19 AM)
QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 04:05 PM) *

Well it better be a lot more than "useful," even if of the very, very variety. For a quality young OF with years of control, sure. But that's not the way Kenny Williams operates.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 06:47 PM)
Trading Anderson makes little sense if you look at how many position players potentially will be gone after 2017...which is pretty much everyone but Abreu and Eaton.

You simply can't continue to not produce ANY regular position players internally and continue to compete at a mid-tier payroll number and with mid-tier revenues.

Realistically, the only way to do that is to be able to find a Jose Quintana, Latos, JD Martinez, Colin McHugh, etc., with your scouting department and not ever have to pay top free agents. That's just incredibly difficult to do consistently against 29 other organizations that are all looking for the exact same assets you are.

Whether Anderson is at SS, 2B, CF or DH, he needs to be in our future batting order.

The only way the White Sox consider trading Anderson is if they get a superstar player back in the deal. Remember the Reds wanted him, and the White Sox walked away from the Todd Frazier deal because of it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
This is exactly right.

First, anyone who thought he'd get to AAA and suddenly hit .300, I don't know what to tell you. Every indication was that this level would be a challenge, and that he'd likely struggle at first. And that's what we are seeing. Let the guy develop.

Second, understand why he was able to hit as well as he did before without walking much or at all. He's got insanely fast hands, excellent barrel control and prime athleticism. Those things can't be taught. But he was not only over-aggressive, he was also going in without a good plan at times, and made poor choices on swing judgment. Those things CAN be taught, though obviously there's no guarantee he learns it. But it's crucial to see that his downfall right now is something repairable.

Just adjust your thinking to be 2017 for Anderson, which is what it should have been all along, and you'll feel more comfortable.

This was my sentiment exactly. I'm glad we're off to a good start and giving Timmy time to develop. I figured there would be an adjustment period. Let's see how he's doing in another month or so. We're slowly seeing hitters in this organization develop. He's the best of the bunch and will be fine IMO.