Sox attended Lincecum showcase day - Angels expected to sign him

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ May 9, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
Plus there are rumors that he is wanting more than he worth. Would assume $5M+. He's worth a cheap gamble but not much more than that. Wish Fulmer was closer than he was. I do have a feeling that whoever (hopefully Gonzalez) fills the 5th starter role will do well once they settle in & have a good outing.

My biggest question with the off-day on Thursday, do you go with your top 3 guys this weekend or still have a 5th starter go Sunday?

I'd skip the 5th spot whenever possible. Nobody has ran up any egregious workloads yet. If guys are starting to pile up innings in July it's a different story.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at it this way. We paid Manny Ramirez the same for what, one month or six weeks of work?

Bonifacio, Keppinger, Duke, etc. It's nothing in the overall scheme of things if they believe he can be a viable fifth. Remember, they've already paid a portion of that money to Jacob Turner as a lottery ticket with a low likelihood of payoff.

Lincecum's made enough money in his lifetime that the guaranteed starting opportunity is worth more than the difference between $7 and $5 million, or 5 and 3. The only important consideration is "guaranteed starting spot" means how many starts before the plug would be pulled if he was ineffective?

That the Giants aren't yet willing to give up on either Cain or Peavy this year in favor of Lincecum...is quite telling. They know him better than anyone else, and that's pitching in the NL West in bigger stadiums, not the AL Central.

In general, there's something to be said for the team feeling like it least has a 50/50 chance to win before they take the field...not the current 10-15% like the situation with Danks or Gonzalez. At any rate, these kinds of situations tend to work themselves out over time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ May 9, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
Plus there are rumors that he is wanting more than he worth. Would assume $5M+. He's worth a cheap gamble but not much more than that. Wish Fulmer was closer than he was. I do have a feeling that whoever (hopefully Gonzalez) fills the 5th starter role will do well once they settle in & have a good outing.

My biggest question with the off-day on Thursday, do you go with your top 3 guys this weekend or still have a 5th starter go Sunday?

Starting them against Toronto and Texas, two of the prolific offenses in the AL...probably not the best way to accomplish that. Not to mention the Erik Johnson start against the Red Sox.

If he gets lit up by the Royals the way their offense is going AND without Moustakas, the Angels, Rays, Twins, A's, that's one thing. But nobody can realistically expect less than 3-6 runs allowed against the better offenses in the league.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 8, 2016 -> 11:47 PM)
A Latos-esque deal.

June 1st, 2016:

With Fulmer in the pen and insurance in case one gets injured?

F that, let him start in the minors until he's ready to start with the Sox. Maybe after minors season ends...

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ May 9, 2016 -> 01:49 PM)
F that, let him start in the minors until he's ready to start with the Sox. Maybe after minors season ends...

You want him to wait until the end of August to join the Sox?

That's not very realistic...if our hopes were to actually sign him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Starting them against Toronto and Texas, two of the prolific offenses in the AL...probably not the best way to accomplish that. Not to mention the Erik Johnson start against the Red Sox.

If he gets lit up by the Royals the way their offense is going AND without Moustakas, the Angels, Rays, Twins, A's, that's one thing. But nobody can realistically expect less than 3-6 runs allowed against the better offenses in the league.

You can't fully pick and choose who these guys start again. When you have no offdays, they have to go some time.

We have to prepare ourselves for Fulmer potentially being a reliever for most of his career. This is not to put him down, but guys like him are particularly made for that role.

He will of course get a lot of MiLB opportunities as a starter b/c of the high draft status

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 9, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
We have to prepare ourselves for Fulmer potentially being a reliever for most of his career. This is not to put him down, but guys like him are particularly made for that role.

He will of course get a lot of MiLB opportunities as a starter b/c of the high draft status

Well that and the fact that he is incredibly talented.

As far as Linncecum is concerned has anyone heard any reports on his tryout other than what he or his agent have posted. He said he felt and did great but what do team scouts have to say? If he gets signed I would imagine a $5M a year contract is not out of the question or even fair for a guy with his history. My only concern is that injury and if it may resurface

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
You can't fully pick and choose who these guys start again. When you have no offdays, they have to go some time.

I do have a feeling that whoever (hopefully Gonzalez) fills the 5th starter role will do well once they settle in & have a good outing.

I was simply replying to this quote (hard to settle in with our May schedule)...maybe it happens this weekend against the Yankees, and Gonzalez has certainly pitched against them enough in his career. But there will be a lot of pressure on Hahn again if he gets bombed out of the Ballpark.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_...miguel-gonzalez

His numbers career-wise against the Yankees are pretty similar to what he's done against Texas (in terms of their current hitters). 252 BAA and 743 OPS.

We'll have a lot better indication with the warmer weather down there if that 92-93 MPH fastball is gonzo and/or how effective he can be at 89-91 MPH instead.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 9, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
As far as Linncecum is concerned has anyone heard any reprts on his tryout other than what he or his agent have posted. He said he felt great but what do team scouts have to say?

What I read was he looked OK, but anyone hoping for a return to domination would be disappointed. He basically looked like he's looked the past 4 years or so. Nothing overwhelming.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 9, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
As far as Linncecum is concerned has anyone heard any reports on his tryout other than what he or his agent have posted. He said he felt and did great but what do team scouts have to say? If he gets signed I would imagine a $5M a year contract is not out of the question or even fair for a guy with his history. My only concern is that injury and if it may resurface

Keep in mind that we are 32 games into the season, and any contract he gets will be prorated for the remaining part of the season.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 9, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
As far as Linncecum is concerned has anyone heard any reprts on his tryout other than what he or his agent have posted. He said he felt great but what do team scouts have to say?

They are mostly concerned with his hip and surgery recovery.

Apparently, his delivery looked fine. He didn't throw an inordinate amount of pitches, but claims he has been throwing sets of 15 pitches X 6 "simulated innings" for days now and needs 1-2 and maybe 3 minor league starts before being ready to go.

Fastball was 88-92, so that was encouraging to see him top out at 92 and consistently at that speed when he was 87-89 more recently (last couple of years with SFG, supposedly due to the hip/mechanical issues, at least partially).

Most of the scouts said his breaking stuff looked pretty crisp, but then you can't really gauge it unless you have live hitters' reactions.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
You want him to wait until the end of August to join the Sox?

That's not very realistic...if our hopes were to actually sign him.

What's the hurry? Unless you thought I was referring to Lincecum, I was referring to Fulmer.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 9, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
I bet he gets a minor league contract. Nobody is going to sign him to a guaranteed MLB deal without seeing him in front of live batters, are they? I mean, Danks could go and throw 41 decent pitches against air.

My guess would be MiLB deal, with short time to an opt out. Say 30 days. Promised money around a couple of million, with a couple million more in incentives.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
My guess would be MiLB deal, with short time to an opt out. Say 30 days. Promised money around a couple of million, with a couple million more in incentives.

Sounds about right. Personally I'd pass. Be better to invest the time and effort and money into the guys already here or potential trade targets.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 12, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
Ken RosenthalVerified account

‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: #SFGiants, #Angels, #WhiteSox most interested in Lincecum. Not close to decision.

Giants probably want him in the pen, but Timmy could hedge his bets that Peavy or Cain can be replaced.

Angels, he gets a rotation spot - sure... But does he really want to play on a team that won't sniff the playoffs? Even if he prefers west coast teams, I don't see it.

White Sox, great track record with pitchers. One of the best teams so for in baseball. s***ty home field for a pitcher and probably comes with a guarantee that he makes the rotation within 4 weeks.

All and all - I bet he goes back to SF or to our Sox.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
I was told the Sox were not impressed by Lincecum at his showing.

Thank god. I was really hoping they wouldnt keep throwing junk at the wall and seeing what sticks. They need a solid RH #3 so they can move Rodon back to 4, and Latos to 5.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
I was told the Sox were not impressed by Lincecum at his showing.

Lincecum in the AL at USCF is a bad idea unless he can turn back the clock 5 years. From all accounts, his showcase didn't show he was anywhere near that.

I never saw where he was an obvious upgrade to what they have. As long as he's not, I'm glad they agree.

I suppose if he was anywhere near as good as the White Sox needed him to be, a team closer to his geographical preference would be throwing some money at him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
Supposedly the readings the media spit out weren't quite the same as readings picked up by the Sox people. Funny how that works.

Interesting. I'm encouraged by Miguel Gonzo's last start anyways. Let's see if he can keep it up!