John Danks Appreciation Thread

BaconOnAStick

fWAR for Danks:

2008 - 4.8

2009 - 2.7

2010 - 4.4

2011 - 3.0

Then he got hurt. He was maybe the best starter on a couple very good (and a couple disappointing) White Sox teams.

His contract and injury came to be unfairly associated with the stink of failure that hovered over this team the last 3 years.

QUOTE (daggins @ May 3, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
fWAR for Danks:

2008 - 4.8

2009 - 2.7

2010 - 4.4

2011 - 3.0

Then he got hurt. He was maybe the best starter on a couple very good (and a couple disappointing) White Sox teams.

His contract and injury came to be unfairly associated with the stink of failure that hovered over this team the last 3 years.

Danks was a top 5 left handed starter in the AL for a few years. That's why he got the contract he got.

The hate for the Twins has faded a bit since 2010, but in 2008 there wasn't a team in sports I hated more than them. That made beating them in the Blackout game that much sweeter, and Danks was a huge part of that. Despite the poor results over the past few years, I never stopped liking the guy.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 3, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
The hate for the Twins has faded a bit since 2010, but in 2008 there wasn't a team in sports I hated more than them. That made beating them in the Blackout game that much sweeter, and Danks was a huge part of that. Despite the poor results over the past few years, I never stopped liking the guy.

Totally agreed. I hated the Twins more than the Packers, Cubs, Tigers, Indians, and Royals combined.

The worst part of it was that those Twins teams would beat our built-to-win-in-the-playoffs teams in the regular season and then just suck horribly in the playoffs. They were basically a waste of space in the postseason. Meanwhile we were sitting at home with 3 top of the line starting pitchers (especially in 2003 and 2010) and good offenses.

Was probably gonna be one of the best #2 pitchers in the league, hell he could have been an ace.

Then his shoulder happened.

He earned his contract with the Sox. Then his shoulder fell apart. Then he battled and always gave everything he got.

It's a shame that it came to this, but I won't miss his terrible starts.

I will miss the starts where he suddenly could reach back and battle his way through a great start. It was easy to want him to succeed.

I am still sad to see him go, because he is the ultimate teammate. He never once tried to blame anyone else or anything else for his problems. He always mentored pitchers as they came in, even with the real possibility is that he could have been training his replacement.

At one point he was one of the steals of the century coming over here in the Brandon McCarthy deal, and providing the White Sox with some big years.

The Blackout game goes without question as the high mark of his time here. Hopefully he enjoys the fruits of his labor.

It's sad when an athlete's career ends on such a low note. If the team was sub .500 he keeps on pitching and chucking it up there and getting toasted like a pop tart. I'm sorry to see the Danks that was trotting out there this year.

QUOTE (daggins @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)

Excellent line. Thank you for that.

The nice posts in this thread are starting to lessen the sting of all the vicious, classless things said about Danks in game threads the last two seasons. I hated reading the word bum in game threads about Danks. It'd be nice if somebody in the NL picked up Danks and allowed him to continue his comeback, but I assume they'd have to pay him. So he must be done.

That said ... one of my favorite Sox ever. It's not his fault he got hurt. I think some haters thought he should give the money back. It doesn't work that way.

Danks is a class act. It'd be great if he could continue his career.

In conclusion, I loved Johnny Danks and we've had a lot worse pitchers stand on the mound at the Cell in White sox uniforms than Johnny Danks! Go Danks!

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:05 PM)
Excellent line. Thank you for that.

The nice posts in this thread are starting to lessen the sting of all the vicious, classless things said about Danks in game threads the last two seasons. I hated reading the word bum in game threads about Danks. It'd be nice if somebody in the NL picked up Danks and allowed him to continue his comeback, but I assume they'd have to pay him. So he must be done.

That said ... one of my favorite Sox ever. It's not his fault he got hurt. I think some haters thought he should give the money back. It doesn't work that way.

Danks is a class act. It'd be great if he could continue his career.

In conclusion, I loved Johnny Danks and we've had a lot worse pitchers stand on the mound at the Cell in White sox uniforms than Johnny Danks! Go Danks!

He wouldn't even survive in the NL at this point sadly.

His one hope is reinventing himself as a pitcher, possibly learning a knuckle ball. I don't know.

Kinda wish he would have gone to Charlotte to work on things.