AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:32 PM)
Kershaw is the only pitcher I'd take over Sale. As great as Arrieta has been for 4 and a half months now or whatever, there's still a decent amount of pitchers I'd take over him.

And as close as they are, Sale is a lefty, which is the trump card.

Twins let the Indians get away with one.

Hit four homers (Park 2, Nunez and Sano) but still couldn't get the win. Had leads of 2-0, 4-2, 5-4.

Park just missed a third homer (three Koreans have had multiple homer games in the last week, in MLB history it has only happened five total times, Kang/Park/Lee recently and the other two must have been Choo and Hee Sop Choi).

Sano is looking better and better offensively (still vulnerable to breaking stuff, especially outside) but still a mess defensively.

Weird to see Uribe in an Indians uniform. Twins had two huge chances with bases loaded to blow the game open, but Arcia and Suzuki struck out against McAllister. Cody Allen looked REALLY shaky. Park had an at-bat at the end of the game where he ripped a ball down the line but he pulled it just enough to barely go foul or the Twins would have taken the lead again.

In the Orioles game, Verlander looked as good as he has all season but still not good enough against the O's, who are now one of the hottest teams in baseball again. Tigers lost 1-0, had a leadoff double in the late innings and couldn't move him from second. 8 1/2 games back now in the standings and teams are circling their roster for guys like Kinsler, Victor Martinez and JD Martinez. Tigers have taken to putting Upton in CF in order to get rookie Stephen Moya's bat in the line-up (Gose out)...but that creates another set of problems for them defensively.

Royals looking like they're going to stay 6 1/2 games back (5-1 late). Both the Twins and Braves have the same record, 7-26. YIKES. The thing is, the Twins have some really nice looking offensive players. The problem is their starting rotation and defense...Plouffe, Arcia and Dozier haven't been nearly as dangerous as last year, and then Buxton had to be sent down again. But Mauer, Park, Santana and Sano all look pretty dangerous, especially Park and Sano. They've had a lot of pitching injuries, and their bullpen is a complete mess (Trevor May has good stuff but hung the game-winner to ageless Marlon Byrd with a 1-2 count and converted SS Santana couldn't flag it down in CF)...not to mention the injury/ineffectiveness with their closer.

Wish we had Fernando Abad (lefties are 0 for 17 so far against him) and Park on the Sox roster. With the hitting success of the Koreans, hopefully we'll start to take a harder look there than in previous years.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
The Sox have Jose, Q, Sale and Eaton locked up to some of the most insane contracts in baseball mostly because Hahn was smart enough to realize whicih way the wind was blowing with pre arb buyouts.

Even the media is piling on now and he's said hes not giving a discount. Its going to be the largest contract ever.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 13, 2016 -> 08:38 PM)
Imagine is this team had Trayce in CF and Semien at SS :D

We'd have a cheaper roster, that's for sure. (And probably a 21-15 record without Frazier, if not 20-16).

Perfect additions would have been Abad (lefties 0 for 17 against him), Park or Trumbo at DH, Maeda for the rotation...but Hahn obviously didn't know LaRoche was leaving and Avisail at least hasn't been a negative compared to last year (especially defensively). And if you look at that guys like Upton and Gordon, only Cespedes has been earning his money (and still not sure he's worth THAT much).

As long as Anderson makes it as an impact player at SS, trading Semien won't hurt nearly so much.

The one thing to remember with Thompson is that he's primarily getting at-bats in favorable situations and hasn't been playing everyday because of Joc Pederson's presence there...kind of like when Viciedo was protected in a similar way against really tough RHP and that was exposed later on in his career.

Also, Inciarte's really struggling for the Braves and we might take a stab at him as the 4th outfielder, but he's not going to come for free.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 13, 2016 -> 08:42 PM)
Its a win either way. Its either going to be awful for them or they are going to lose the best pitcher in the league.

I'd go with Kershaw or Syndergaard/Sale...but then someone who's averaging almost 98 MPH as a starter isn't long from the surgeon's office, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
I'd go with Kershaw or Syndergaard/Sale...but then someone who's averaging almost 98 MPH as a starter isn't long from the surgeon's office, either.

This isn't a guess. He's asking for the largest contract for a pitcher ever.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2016 -> 07:45 PM)
We'd have a cheaper roster, that's for sure. (And probably a 21-15 record without Frazier, if not 20-16).

Perfect additions would have been Abad (lefties 0 for 17 against him), Park or Trumbo at DH, Maeda for the rotation...but Hahn obviously didn't know LaRoche was leaving and Avisail at least hasn't been a negative compared to last year (especially defensively). And if you look at that guys like Upton and Gordon, only Cespedes has been earning his money (and still not sure he's worth THAT much).

As long as Anderson makes it as an impact player at SS, trading Semien won't hurt nearly so much.

The one thing to remember with Thompson is that he's primarily getting at-bats in favorable situations and hasn't been playing everyday because of Joc Pederson's presence there...kind of like when Viciedo was protected in a similar way against really tough RHP and that was exposed later on in his career.

Also, Inciarte's really struggling for the Braves and we might take a stab at him as the 4th outfielder, but he's not going to come for free.

Semien is just so inconsistent.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:56 PM)
Semien is just so inconsistent.

The thing about our roster is that defensively its pretty amazing in the positions that arent hitting great. If anything we need a sweet pinch hitter in the Matt Stairs mold. OUr defense is whats carrying this team and removing someone like Jackson or Rollins is just not going to help

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 13, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)

I don't mean about the biggest contract. I meant about the "best" pitcher.

I wouldn't give it to him if I were the Cubs. Would use my minor league system/draft/international to work around it. Another option is making the offense even MORE dangerous, like taking on Ryan Braun's contract.

The odds of an injury/breakdown are simply too high. You have to get maximum value out of a pitcher his first 6 years and, if you're lucky, you can extend a couple of gems like Sale and Quintana EARLY but you can't wait until year 5 or 6. By then, a free agency payday is too close. The best thing that could happen for the Cubs would be winning the World Series THIS year and then having less pressure to keep Arrieta from the fans' standpoint...if Lester breaks down and Arrieta is allowed to leave (assuming they don't win it yet), then Cubs fans will be constantly ruing let him get away.

(Dad, why did the Cubs trade Rafael Palmeiro and let Greg Maddux and Arrieta go, too?)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)

Between the minors and majors, he's thrown about 1,000 less innings than Greinke. That'll likely be a selling point as well (assuming he keeps pitching great until then). He also broke out kind of late meaning he will look to cash in on his one chance (as he has already come out and said for the most part).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)
The thing about our roster is that defensively its pretty amazing in the positions that arent hitting great. If anything we need a sweet pinch hitter in the Matt Stairs mold. OUr defense is whats carrying this team and removing someone like Jackson or Rollins is just not going to help

If Avila can actually stay consistent with that short/quick swing to LCF, it would be HUGE for the Sox.

He doesn't have to be the 2011 or 2012 Avila, an All-Star caliber guy, just something in between. You can bet both he and Jackson want to prove to Alex's dad that he was wrong to let them both go...especially when we face the Tigers.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 13, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
Between the minors and majors, he's thrown about 1,000 less innings than Greinke. That'll likely be a selling point as well (assuming he keeps pitching great until then). He also broke out kind of late meaning he will look to cash in on his one chance (as he has already come out and said for the most part).

Yes, BUT.

If you look at his career track record, and then tremendous increase of innings pitched the last TWO seasons, especially the number of "high stress" pitches in 2015 because of the post-season, well the human shoulder and elbow aren't meant to take that much stress. I'm not looking at the numbers right in front of me, but I'd have to guess the increase/s from 2013 to 2014 and then 2014 to 2015 are pretty darned significant.

Of course, you can argue guys like Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander a decade ago were both throwing upper 90's and now are more consistently 89-92 MPH with their fastballs. Nobody can defeat Father Time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2016 -> 10:04 PM)
If Avila can actually stay consistent with that short/quick swing to LCF, it would be HUGE for the Sox.

He doesn't have to be the 2011 or 2012 Avila, an All-Star caliber guy, just something in between. You can bet both he and Jackson want to prove to Alex's dad that he was wrong to let them both go...especially when we face the Tigers.

I agree though I like Navarro. As long as the running game for the opposition is somewhat contained it doesnt matter to me. The defense needs to be priority #1

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 13, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
Its a win either way. Its either going to be awful for them or they are going to lose the best pitcher in the league.

Not sure I agree. If you even overpay for a player and they lead your team to years of success, it is not awful. If Sale was due next year, I would want the Sox to retain him at all costs even if we had to overpay because I think he is the best pitcher in baseball. I would place the top 4-8 players in baseball in a category that their team needs to retain them as long as they are on the younger side of their careers. So I would give Sale the ranch but I wouldn't give it to Price or Lester for example.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 14, 2016 -> 07:14 AM)
Not sure I agree. If you even overpay for a player and they lead your team to years of success, it is not awful. If Sale was due next year, I would want the Sox to retain him at all costs even if we had to overpay because I think he is the best pitcher in baseball. I would place the top 4-8 players in baseball in a category that their team needs to retain them as long as they are on the younger side of their careers. So I would give Sale the ranch but I wouldn't give it to Price or Lester for example.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2016/5/13/1167...-it-hurt-so-bad

You might change your mind if you're a Tigers' fan and are stuck with the Verlander, Upton and Cabrera contracts right now.

As pointed out, they had essentially a decade run of success, including 4 in a row from 2011-2014, but in the end divisional opponent in Chicago and Kansas City have won the brass ring.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
http://www.blessyouboys.com/2016/5/13/1167...-it-hurt-so-bad

You might change your mind if you're a Tigers' fan and are stuck with the Verlander, Upton and Cabrera contracts right now.

As pointed out, they had essentially a decade run of success, including 4 in a row from 2011-2014, but in the end divisional opponent in Chicago and Kansas City have won the brass ring.

Because of bullpens. That's the one thing Dombrowski couldn't build well enough.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 13, 2016 -> 10:00 PM)

The sox to me provided Avi is for real, should focus on acquiring someone like Andres Blanco who crushes right handed pitching to pair with Rollins at SS and another left handed 4th outfielder defensive type. In addition to a possible 5th starter.