Tim Anderson Called up...Rollins DFA'd

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
Right! Which means that with Latos at #5 for $3M and only this year committed...was this move really necessary?

No.

Possibly not, but they concluded Latos wouldn't provide them with what is needed, and many here agreed.

I think it is unfair to make conclusions about James Shields after 2 innings. If it continues, yes. But it's one bad game at a pretty unfortunate time.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
Tim Anderson doesn't pitch and is making league minimum.

Who are you to wave your finger? Must be out your head...

Eyehole deep in muddy waters, you practically raised the dead.

Anyway, we were talking about Shields. Or rather, I was b****ing about that signing (again).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
Possibly not, but they concluded Latos wouldn't provide them with what is needed, and many here agreed.

I think it is unfair to make conclusions about James Shields after 2 innings. If it continues, yes. But it's one bad game at a pretty unfortunate time.

To be fair, I'm basing it on more than 2 innings (let's say 4 and about 20 runs :P ), but I see your point.

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
You've read nothing about how he was excelling at Charlotte? Because he was excelling at Charlotte.

Apparently my information is a month or so out of date. I know that his walk rate was bad early on.

I hope that he's really ready and that Hahn isn't doing this for the sake of doing something.

I hope everybody is patient with Anderson, including people like myself. Don't pull an Eric Johnson with his development and send him down if he goes 1 for 35. Just let him play. It's a rebuilding year for us now anyway as this team just isn't good enough to make the playoffs. So just let him play a couple months. I'd actually give him a day or two off per week and let Saladino play ss 2 days a week and second base two days a week. Sit Lawrie some. He's not exactly a good hitter, either.

Whether you like the decision or not fans, to rush Anderson, be patient and let him suck a while. Again, the team is nothing.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
Who are you to wave your finger? Must be out your head...

Eyehole deep in muddy waters, you practically raised the dead.

Anyway, we were talking about Shields. Or rather, I was b****ing about that signing (again).

You're showing your age as a tool fan :P

Really thou - Shields has nothing to do with Anderson or Rollins... Hommie.

The way things have been going for the White Sox ... poor Anderson will be nervous and have several errors in the first inning and we'll get our asses kicked by the Royals and the fans will boo as they did Shields.

Hate to be so negative but the Sox do that to you.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
The way things have been going for the White Sox ... poor Anderson will be nervous and have several errors in the first inning and we'll get our asses kicked by the Royals and the fans will boo as they did Shields.

I can't even remember the last high pick position player who came up. It was what... Beckham? Don't remember who was before that. Hopefully Anderson proves different and lights the world on fire, f*** it.

Not saying that's probable but here's for hoping.

At least in 24 hours Hahn has said, "oops. I f***ed up."

Twice.

He's holding himself accountable and taking action... That's all I can ask at this point. Responsibility.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)

Who are you trying to kid, you love to be negative.

i'm excited to see him. can't remember the last time we had a positional prospect i was so excited about. i'm really not worried about him being damaged long-term if he struggles here -- he's pretty much struggled and overcome at every level. speaks well to his make-up, imo.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 08:27 PM)
Who are you trying to kid, you love to be negative.

Don't go there now. I am wishing Anderson the best. But the way this organization works ... James Shields takes the mound, sucks and gets booed. Anderson comes up against the Royals ... I hope he's the hero but he could have the same fate with this snakebit organization.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
Nothing I've read about Anderson this year suggested that he was excelling at Charlotte and was ready to take the next step. And you have to remember that Anderson is not your typical prospect. He was primarily a basketball player in high school who didn't play baseball until later. So, development-wise, he's a little behind. For the sake of his development, it would've been preferable to leave Anderson in AAA for the remainder of the year and allow him to continue developing.

So while Anderson may be the best option for the Sox (and that's debatable), I don't agree that it's the best thing for Anderson in the long-term. And the Sox's farm system isn't exactly loaded with can't-miss position player prospects, so I wish that they would've handled him a little more cautiously. Especially since he's probably a .700 OPS in a best-case scenario this season, and thus a very modest upgrade over Saladino/Sanchez. He's also defensive downgrade from Saladino, which further lowers his current value to the team.

To me, the best way to improve is to play against the best players out there, that's where I'll always disagree with everyone. He's proven he's mentally tough enough to bounce back if and when he falters so lets get him up here and play against the best competition possible. He's not fully developed of course but to me this is the best possible thing for his development.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
To me, the best way to improve is to play against the best players out there, that's where I'll always disagree with everyone. He's proven he's mentally tough enough to bounce back if and when he falters so lets get him up here and play against the best competition possible. He's not fully developed of course but to me this is the best possible thing for his development.

I've never bought the whole "brought up too soon and ruined a guy". If a little failure "ruined" a player, he probably wasn't any good to begin with.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)

I mostly agree but it's hard to try to learn new things when every AB matters so much.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 07:37 PM)

i also think that if you are looking at the window of contention hahn has mentioned, ta represents the best opportunity to add an impact player without overpaying through free agency or trades and just hoping. i don't think he'll be a difference maker this year, but i do think he can equal the production we were getting at the position while getting the seasoning he needs to more fully realize his potential next year and the following.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
Really surprised at all of the concern about bringing up Anderson too early. Look, the kid is not 18 years old! He's been playing pro ball for a number of years now. Do we think if he goes 1-16 he's going to fall into a deep depression and never recover? There's tons of young prospects that have come up to the big leagues with much less experience than Anderson and succeeded!

Age is a number. Not all guys are on the same developmental path at a certain age. Anderson is proably something like 1000 ABs, maybe more, behind kids his age. He didn't play baseball his first two years of HS. He hardly played in college either. His entire college career was barely more than just Gordon Beckham's last year of college in terms of total ABs. That isn't even counting lost time in the off season that baseball only guys got.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)

or go through another team's farm system

If anyone can remember when Ventura was called up they told him not to worry about his hitting and you are up here to catch a baseball. Hopefully people wont expect instant results.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I've never bought the whole "brought up too soon and ruined a guy". If a little failure "ruined" a player, he probably wasn't any good to begin with.

I always wondered if there was a study to validate this. I'm on the fence about this. In the Sox system maybe it is better to be brought up too soon.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
I always wondered if there was a study to validate this. I'm on the fence about this. In the Sox system maybe it is better to be brought up too soon.

I wonder if there might be some psychological element that factors in as far as the reputation of the system. When teams that have a good reputation of evaluating players and having them succeed in the majors it resonates with each player that comes up. Those players believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that they belong because they have seen others succeed through their system. Maybe position players that come up with the Sox dont have AS MUCH self confidence and allow doubt to creep in their minds just a wee bit easier because of the orgs history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Age is a number. Not all guys are on the same developmental path at a certain age. Anderson is proably something like 1000 ABs, maybe more, behind kids his age. He didn't play baseball his first two years of HS. He hardly played in college either. His entire college career was barely more than just Gordon Beckham's last year of college in terms of total ABs. That isn't even counting lost time in the off season that baseball only guys got.

This is exactly why I'm not excited about Anderson being called up. Maybe he's physically talented and mentally tough enough to deal with being sent to the bigs early, and maybe he's not.

I hope that he rakes with the Sox and dispels my concerns.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)
This is exactly why I'm not excited about Anderson being called up. Maybe he's physically talented and mentally tough enough to deal with being sent to the bigs early, and maybe he's not.

I hope that he rakes with the Sox and dispels my concerns.

The one trademark he has shown through his trip in the minors is extreme inconsistency.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
I dont like this move at all.

The kid needs some more time on the farm, this is a panic move that could really hinder Andersons development.

You can't really be surprised that you need a SS when you let your guy walk away and went dumpster diving for a replacement. Just not sure how the Sox were expecting more from the SS position than what they have gotten when they ignored it over the offseason.

I would rather have used Sanchez and Saladino at SS for the time being and give Anderson at least another month at AAA.

I heard this guy named Ian Desmond was willing to sign for $8 million (and he would have picked the Sox over the Rangers to stay at SS), and also has the ability to play LF/RF.

Gee...sounds like someone we could have used. And it would have preserved Anderson's timeframe for September, 2016 arrival.

We shall see how it all works, and if Burdi makes it all worth it.