2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
So Woj is reporting that the Hornets will trade #22 if someone takes Jeremy Lamb's contract 3/21. Is this something the Bulls should consider in order to get another 1st rounder?

I think the Bulls should consider buying draft picks, however, I think if they do, it should be because they can leverage the multiple picks to move up and get a more talented asset. Quality over quantity right now, imo. I don't think Lamb is that bad of a role player, either, but again, you don't want to tie up all your longer term cap space on "role" players. Is Lamb's contract expiring at the end of this year, so Charlotte's move is to clear cap space immediately? If so, I definitely could see the Bulls being able to leverage that strategy if their plan is to make a major push at a big time FA in 2017.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Rondo was pretty awesome again last year.

Sure, if you only look at his assist totals. Sacramento pushed the pace and played zero D, so he blended in. Awful shooting/offensive efficiency, useless without the ball, bad D, and he's bit of a malcontent.

BMAGS doesn't want to watch Robin Lopez, I don't want to watch Rondo loaf on D and dribble for 15 seconds until passing for a jumper.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
So Woj is reporting that the Hornets will trade #22 if someone takes Jeremy Lamb's contract 3/21. Is this something the Bulls should consider in order to get another 1st rounder?

I'd do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)
Do the Bulls have the cap room to take on almost $10 million?

They have quite a bit of space. Remember, cap alone shot up a lot. If you remove Gasol and Noah from the equation, plus consider moving MJD or Taj or Niko and you can really clear a ton of space. If Bulls wanted to, they could make some moves to have just massive amounts of cap space this year, but I don't know the rationale for it, unless of course it is to get Durant plus. Nothing else in this market is worth taking up so much space that you can't make at least one max offer a year from now (when the FA class is much stronger and far more likely, imo, to actually relocate).

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
Trading Butler for Wiggins and a pick makes so much sense on paper if the Wolves are willing to do it. The Bulls could then take Dunn and you'd have 2 young studs to build around.

But makes little sense to the Wolves, unless Thibs just flat out thinks Butler is the star he needs next to Towns (and he doesn't see it working with Wiggins).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
But makes little sense to the Wolves, unless Thibs just flat out thinks Butler is the star he needs next to Towns (and he doesn't see it working with Wiggins).

What if the Bulls swapped picks with the Wolves in that trade? Instead of keeping their 14th.

I had completely forgotten about Anthony Bennett and just went to look him up and saw after he was traded to the Wolves he ended up getting waived and was eventually sent to Torontos d league team. From 1st overall pick to barely sticking to a d league team in 3 seasons seems difficult to do.

Wolves get a proven All-Star vet and guy Thibs loves in Butler and they still get a relatively decent pick at 14.

Bulls get an unproven player with higher upside IMO than Butler and the 5th pick where they can get Dunn who they love.

Its risky from both sides but benefits both sides. I could see it.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 12:35 PM)
Wolves get a proven All-Star vet and guy Thibs loves in Butler and they still get a relatively decent pick at 14.

Bulls get an unproven player with higher upside IMO than Butler and the 5th pick where they can get Dunn who they love.

Its risky from both sides but benefits both sides. I could see it.

Do you think the Bulls would risk losing a trade to Thibs?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)

If that were part of their decision making it would say a lot about how management values personal issues with people compared to winning.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)

Nope.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
If that were part of their decision making it would say a lot about how management values personal issues with people compared to winning.

They have already displayed for everyone to see where they stand on this. Really pathetic.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Jimmy Buckets will be playing in the olympics. Could be a good opportunity for him to start recruiting other potential FA's / showcasing the type of teammate he can be (so hopefully he is on his best behavior). I hate the extra minutes he's going to play, but I also view it as a really good learning experience for him to be around some of the best in the NBA.

That is really good for Butler. With the amount of guys who have decided not to play because of injuries or otherwise this is going to be a really mediocre team (in comparison to what it could have been). The 8 guys we appear to know so far are Lowry, Butler, Anthony, Durant, Green, Cousins, George and Jordan. That is a far cry from what people thought the team would look like 6 months ago with Curry, Paul, Davis, James, etc.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)

You don't already know this?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
Man, you guys are so setting yourselves up for disappointment with these Butler trade scenarios.

Kind of naturally happens that way when you don't choose to be a fan of whoever is one of the front running teams just because its convenient to watch a winner every year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
Kind of naturally happens that way when you don't choose to be a fan of whoever is one of the front running teams just because its convenient to watch a winner every year.

Damn

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)

Agree, but sometimes the personal / emotional side is hard to ignore (unfortunately). I do think a bigger term deal which would include someone like Taj (plus our 14) could ultimately drive something to happen where you essentially start building around Dunn, Wiggins and a s***ton of cap space for next year (maybe you sign someone like Barnes with that space to fill up your backcourt) or maybe you try and sign a Horford this year so that next year you have that vet to go with the younger assets that you are going to try and sell a Durant / Westbrook / etc on.

Ultimately, I don't see the Bulls moving Butler, but I absolutely think from a rebuild perspective, if you could legitimate get Wiggins and the 5th for a package headlined by Butler, that is the type of move you have to absolutely consider. If all I'm getting is one or the other, than it is harder to do, unless I have a lot of confidence in specific targets around what I can leverage that cap space for.