The Anthem

greg775

Do you support what Colin did?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Kaepernick's decision to sit?

• Yes. Great way to express himself
    • No. What was he thinking?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 12:29 AM)
Not in the filibuster. It was a passionate post. That's all.

I've been suspended for posts that the mods simply disagreed with in the 'buster ;)

BUT that's ancient history. Literally. Just thought it was funny, but not worth continuing this line of discussion.

#imwithcolin

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 11:27 PM)
Thank god for Malcolm X and the Black Panthers or MLK would have been Kaepernicked as well.

He WAS. He, and the Freedom Riders, had really low approval ratings while he was alive. Most white people hated him.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
He WAS. He, and the Freedom Riders, had really low approval ratings while he was alive. Most white people hated him.

Especially after he started criticizing the Vietnam War more vocally.

When he came to Chicago in '66 he was pelted with bricks for demanding fair housing laws.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 03:05 AM)
Greg, looks like you'll have to pick someone other than Jesse Ventura.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jesse-ventu...epernick-2016-9

I still love Jesse after watching that. I mean I think Colin is being disrespectful to the military with his stance of kneeling during the anthem when everybody else pretty much is being respectful. Jesse says he fought to give guys like Colin the right to protest. That's fine. I can accept that. I still think the way he's protesting is bulls*** but I can accept Jesse's points. Jesse did say, "Whether I agree with what he did is irrelevant." Yeah, I guess so.

Like I said, Colin pretty much made a mockery of doing the anthem at sporting events. And the Gabby Douglas thing was so silly that people were mad at her. So as of today I think we should get rid of the anthem at sporting events. Because of Colin, it's kinda finally jumped the shark. Our country is way too divided to play a "National Anthem" at sporting events. Just kill it now and let us all continue to hate each other. That's what we seem to do best as a country.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
I still love Jesse after watching that. I mean I think Colin is being disrespectful to the military with his stance of kneeling during the anthem when everybody else pretty much is being respectful. Jesse says he fought to give guys like Colin the right to protest. That's fine. I can accept that. I still think the way he's protesting is bulls*** but I can accept Jesse's points. Jesse did say, "Whether I agree with what he did is irrelevant." Yeah, I guess so.

Like I said, Colin pretty much made a mockery of doing the anthem at sporting events. And the Gabby Douglas thing was so silly that people were mad at her. So as of today I think we should get rid of the anthem at sporting events. Because of Colin, it's kinda finally jumped the shark. Our country is way too divided to play a "National Anthem" at sporting events. Just kill it now and let us all continue to hate each other. That's what we seem to do best as a country.

LOL Keith said this same thing to you last week and you completely ignored the post.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)

The military is sworn to protect the constitution, in which you have the right to peacefully protest. So not sure how he's disrespecting the military at all.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
The military is sworn to protect the constitution, in which you have the right to peacefully protest. So not sure how he's disrespecting the military at all.

Like I pointed out, right or wrong, the Anthem is a big part of military life. I said I heard some military guys on the radio very upset because of the Colin protest. Some gave their lives; others limbs for our freedom.

You watch the military during the anthem ... there is so much respect. How can it not be a slap in the face to many military when some rich ballplayer is sitting or kneeling during an anthem treated with so much reverence by the Army, Navy, Marines, etc? If some military are not offended by Colin, that is great. I respect whatever position any military man or woman wants to take on this issue. I respect Ezio's take and Jesse's. But I'm saying I can see why many are flat out pissed off. They gave limbs for us and we sit during a song that is treated with reverence and respect by virtually all military outlets.

That said ... kill it. It's jumped the Shark. Colin ruined it. The Twitterverse ruined it by ripping poor Gabby Douglas. Get rid of it at sporting events NOW.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
Like I pointed out, right or wrong, the Anthem is a big part of military life. I said I heard some military guys on the radio very upset because of the Colin protest. Some gave their lives; others limbs for our freedom.

You watch the military during the anthem ... there is so much respect. How can it not be a slap in the face to many military when some rich ballplayer is sitting or kneeling during an anthem treated with so much reverence by the Army, Navy, Marines, etc? If some military are not offended by Colin, that is great. I respect whatever position any military man or woman wants to take on this issue. I respect Ezio's take and Jesse's. But I'm saying I can see why many are flat out pissed off. They gave limbs for us and we sit during a song that is treated with reverence and respect by virtually all military outlets.

That said ... kill it. It's jumped the Shark. Colin ruined it. The Twitterverse ruined it by ripping poor Gabby Douglas. Get rid of it at sporting events NOW.

I'm completely ok with getting rid of it at NFL games, considering the NFL only started having players stand outside during the anthem in 2009 and before that they were still in the locker room, and they only do this because it's good marketing. The NFL does close to *nothing* for veterans, and it's all phony.

In the case of the Olympics, that's appropriate, because in that case the actual country is being represented.

Jim Brown on Syracuse.com says about what I've been saying about Colin's stance insulting the military and there being better ways to protest.

SYRACUSE.com link for those who again think I'm trolling

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/ind...al_activis.html

Brown, however, cautioned that police shootings and cases of police brutality can't be lumped together and protested against in bulk.

"The things he's pointing to are things that should be evaluated and handled by those in a superior position to him," Brown said. "When you talk about police killing people and brutality, that is not something you can just march in the streets and protest against because every case is a different case and should be adjudicated. We have people in position in the political arena that should be spearheading those types of things. That issue is above football players."

He also questioned the wisdom of using the national anthem to boost the visibility of the protest.

"You can point it out but you don't necessarily want to disrespect the national anthem or the flag," Brown said. "There are outside entities that are trying to bring this country down. We have to go back to the memories of 9-11. If that memory doesn't do anything to you as an American, then you're not really that sensitive a human being. When you think of the sacrifices our firefighters make, think about the service of soldiers in foreign lands and listen to their lives, you have to be careful that whatever you do, don't cast a shadow on what these great people do. They make sure you have the right so speak out without retaliation, or at least no retaliation other than other people criticizing you."

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 18, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Jim Brown on Syracuse.com says about what I've been saying about Colin's stance insulting the military and there being better ways to protest.

SYRACUSE.com link for those who again think I'm trolling

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/ind...al_activis.html

Brown, however, cautioned that police shootings and cases of police brutality can't be lumped together and protested against in bulk.

"The things he's pointing to are things that should be evaluated and handled by those in a superior position to him," Brown said. "When you talk about police killing people and brutality, that is not something you can just march in the streets and protest against because every case is a different case and should be adjudicated. We have people in position in the political arena that should be spearheading those types of things. That issue is above football players."

He also questioned the wisdom of using the national anthem to boost the visibility of the protest.

"You can point it out but you don't necessarily want to disrespect the national anthem or the flag," Brown said. "There are outside entities that are trying to bring this country down. We have to go back to the memories of 9-11. If that memory doesn't do anything to you as an American, then you're not really that sensitive a human being. When you think of the sacrifices our firefighters make, think about the service of soldiers in foreign lands and listen to their lives, you have to be careful that whatever you do, don't cast a shadow on what these great people do. They make sure you have the right so speak out without retaliation, or at least no retaliation other than other people criticizing you."

And veterans have said different.