Frazier Trade Discussion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
LA wants Turner back, not to deal for Frazier on a one year rental

If LA offers him 4 years, $64 million he will likely resign

I don't think this is entirely accurate.

No doubt it's easier to sign/spend Turner but they may prefer the expiring contract/compensation and one more crack at things next year.

I know Frazier struggled to hit for average last season but at one point his BABIP was the lowest in the history of baseball for qualified people. That was like at the All-Star break. It was like him and Aaron Hill or something to have a sub .200 babip. The league average is like a few ticks under .300.

I checked and saw he ended up in the .230's. That is extreme. He still was a 3.6 OWAR player in a fluke luck down season. He's in his prime years. He isn't a liability defensively.

I don't understand the distain for him on this board.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
Done.

Love Lux and Calhoun. Puig could have rebound value.

My first thought with Puig on a bad team was good god no but if that dude comes over here and produces along with playing nice in the clubhouse we could get a nice return on that investment at the trade deadline somewhere down the line. That is how you rebuild.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
My first thought with Puig on a bad team was good god no but if that dude comes over here and produces along with playing nice in the clubhouse we could get a nice return on that investment at the trade deadline somewhere down the line. That is how you rebuild.

The front office's entire focus must be to completely clean house, torpedo the next two seasons and get young

The White Sox are probably the only team that currently is willing to sell off all of it's major league talent over the age of 25

Robertson, Quintana, Abreu, Eaton, Cabrera, Jones, Gonzalez, Lawrie...all of them should go to restock the farm

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
Done.

Love Lux and Calhoun. Puig could have rebound value.

Getting him into a more relaxed clubhouse is worth the gamble. If you turn him around, you either get a superstar OF, or you get an amazing trade piece. If not, he isn't signed that long anymore.

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
I think the next domino to fall is Jansen. If he goes to the Marlins then the relief market gets very bare. I think the Dodgers will stay away from Chapman as a bidding war would be costly.

Robertson becomes a very interesting play here as well. I still think the Dodgers trade De Leon with the Hill signing. They have plenty of depth in the rotation. If they could get a package back that has Frazier+Robertson= De Leon+ Lux+ Smith. I think you are in the ballpark.

I think Chapman to the Yankees is all but done. He is out shopping for a deal and then will take it to the Yankees and they will match it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
Getting him into a more relaxed clubhouse is worth the gamble. If you turn him around, you either get a superstar OF, or you get an amazing trade piece. If not, he isn't signed that long anymore.

Imagine the speed and athleticism with Anderson, Moncada and Puig.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)

And maybe you build a new Cuban connection with him, Moncada and possibly Abreu as an elder statesman.

Also, keeping in theme with Cuban Missile, Cuban Tank and Cuban Comet, we really need some for Abreu and Moncada.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 7m7 minutes ago Maryland, USA

Will Dodgers sign Turner or trade for White Sox Frazier as third base replacement ? We could find out before meetings end.

I can literally write Levine's tweets for him with no inside knowledge and it would be the same as what he writes.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
I can literally write Levine's tweets for him with no inside knowledge and it would be the same as what he writes.

All he does is regurgitate what's already been reported. Can't believe people still pay attention to the s*** he writes.

Anyway, moving along.

Frazier to the Dodgers would make sense. Cheap and only under control for one season so there's no long term financial commitment to him.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
He's only averaged 3.7 fWAR per year in his career. What a bum!

If the Sox aren't able to acquire a young 3B via trade and aren't interested in signing Abreu to an extension, they should consider offering Frazier a four-year deal. With Melky on his way out and Abreu getting older and more injury-prone, the Sox are going to need a reliable power bat in the middle of the lineup. His defense at 3B is also a plus, though he may have to move to 1B in the last year of that contract. His age and good-but-not-great bat should make him affordable and relatively low-risk financially.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
If the Sox aren't able to acquire a young 3B via trade and aren't interested in signing Abreu to an extension, they should consider offering Frazier a four-year deal. With Melky on his way out and Abreu getting older and more injury-prone, the Sox are going to need a reliable power bat in the middle of the lineup. His defense at 3B is also a plus, though he may have to move to 1B in the last year of that contract. His age and good-but-not-great bat should make him affordable and relatively low-risk financially.

What's the point of paying Frazier as we go through a rebuild though?

Worst case we keep him and get draft pick compensation for him

We can also hope that he has a good season and trade him at the deadline to a contender who needs a power bat

I'd shop him now and see what you can get. If it's not decent then he stays.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
And maybe you build a new Cuban connection with him, Moncada and possibly Abreu as an elder statesman.

Also, keeping in theme with Cuban Missile, Cuban Tank and Cuban Comet, we really need some for Abreu and Moncada.

If half of the Puig rumors are true, I don't want him anywhere near Moncada, let alone being mentored by him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 29m29 minutes ago Dodgers like Frazier and talked to chisox but first choice at 3B remains keeping turner. No plan to accede to 5-yr hope tho

Soooo much posturing by the Dodgers, Turner and the Sox. Makes me wonder if the Dodgers are using Frazier's name in the media to try and get Turner to lower his contract demand's.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
I'd be happy with Barnes and Lux, that is probably to steep still.

I would be happy with that in return and really it is not all the unreasonable of a return. I still think if Jansen and Turner sign elsewhere the Dodgers will turn to the White Sox for a Frazier and Robertson package.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
What's the point of paying Frazier as we go through a rebuild though?

The point is that the Sox need somebody to play 3B competently and to hit with power in the middle of the lineup. Unless the Sox are willing to move Moncada to 3B, they have no in-house answer for that position. If the Sox hold on to Q and Eaton, this won't be a four-year rebuild. They should be competitive by 2019.

I don't know what Frazier's market value is right now, but I don't see him commanding much more than 4/55 or 4/60. That's not a large risk for a guy who should be good for 30-40 HRs and average-to-above-average defense at 3B for 2-3 years of that contract.