'17 Breakout Prospect

beautox

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
Not sure that he'll "breakout" but I'm excited to see what Amado Nunez does this year. He had a really strong season in the AZL last year and hope he can build on it this year.

I'm also interested to see what Zach Thompson does this year, a little old for his league but I really like his frame and hope he can stick as a starter.

Nunez committed 30 errors at SS in 52 games. He's young, but the glove seems to be extremely raw.

Thompson appears to be best suited to be a two pitch middle reliever to me

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of Hansen votes, but he's a clear Top 10 guy and has already "broken out" in my view.

I'd go with:

Pitcher: Jordan Stephens

Hitters: Aaron Schnurbusch, Seby Zavala, Johan Cruz

Also, guys who I think will rebound after falling back: Jordan Guerrero, Trey Michalczewski

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
A disappointment due to health not lack of skill, which leaves some room for optimism

It's really both for him. He's still very raw skills-wise, partly due to lack of play, but he definitely lacks skill. Tools he's got though, and he's a fine age for Kanny as others said.

Pitcher: Dane Dunning - surprised no one picked him yet. I think he will be fast mover and end up in Double A by year end.

Hitter: John Cruz - strong defender and I have confidence in his ability to hit. Will be 21 starting the year in High A.

On Carlos Perez, IIRC he was healthy all of last year and didn't get much playing time. It likely means the organization isn't that high on him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
It's really both for him. He's still very raw skills-wise, partly due to lack of play, but he definitely lacks skill. Tools he's got though, and he's a fine age for Kanny as others said.

With respect to Adolfo, even though I've believed that he sucks out loud, Ill add my voice to those who look hopefully to his 2017 season.

If he can stay healthy, & keep the K-rate under ~25%, I'll consider it a great season for Micker Adolfo.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Not a breakout prospect per se but here's a list of players I think will be thought of more highly at the end of the year than they are now:

Starting pitchers: Jordan Stephens, Dane Dunning

Relievers: Aaron Bummer, Matt Cooper, Brian Clark

Hitters: Eddy Alvarez, Nicky Delmonico, Danny Hayes, Jameson Fisher, Alex Call, Kevan Smith

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 9, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
Not a breakout prospect per se but here's a list of players I think will be thought of more highly at the end of the year than they are now:

Starting pitchers: Jordan Stephens, Dane Dunning

Relievers: Aaron Bummer, Matt Cooper, Brian Clark

Hitters: Eddy Alvarez, Nicky Delmonico, Danny Hayes, Jameson Fisher, Alex Call, Kevan Smith

I agree with most of your list. However, Kevan Smith turns 29 this season and was recently taken off the 40 man roster. I don't see his value improving much this year. And I think Eddy Alvarez is incredibly overrated around here. His upside is reserve infielder IMO and as a 27 year old speed guy he's simply running out of time.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 9, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
I agree with most of your list. However, Kevan Smith turns 29 this season and was recently taken off the 40 man roster. I don't see his value improving much this year. And I think Eddy Alvarez is incredibly overrated around here. His upside is reserve infielder IMO and as a 27 year old speed guy he's simply running out of time.

Both Smith and Alvarez were late to baseball, so their ages come with something of a caveat. And I think both might surprise and make the majors this season, and produce positive WAR. That would qualify for improved value. And reserve infielder would be something for Alvarez considering he's not in any of the top 30 lists (admittedly his Birmingham assignment is a blow for that prediction).

I think it's kinda ridiculous to say Alvarez is incredibly overrated and then lost his upside as a reserve infielder, which is basically the same opinion as those rooting for him. He's fast and has good OBP skills, and a good story. Not everyone people root for is because they think they'll be stars.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 9, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
I think it's kinda ridiculous to say Alvarez is incredibly overrated and then lost his upside as a reserve infielder, which is basically the same opinion as those rooting for him. He's fast and has good OBP skills, and a good story. Not everyone people root for is because they think they'll be stars.

The fact that he's a good story is part of the reason why he's overrated. Go ahead and cheer for him all you want, but I hear way more about him than other prospects in our system who also have backup ceilings. He's routinely on these sleeper lists and I'm pretty sure a certain poster here predicted Alvarez would develop into a top 100 prospect at one point. If it weren't for his interesting background, he'd just be another organizational guy IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 9, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
The fact that he's a good story is part of the reason why he's overrated. Go ahead and cheer for him all you want, but I hear way more about him than other prospects in our system who also have backup ceilings. He's routinely on these sleeper lists and I'm pretty sure a certain poster here predicted Alvarez would develop into a top 100 prospect at one point. If it weren't for his interesting background, he'd just be another organizational guy IMO.

One argument to make here is, his "story" itself gives him an edge. His Olympic experience gives him an edge in handling the daily grind, and knowing what "it" takes.

Just adding a thought here.

I kind of agree here. He's an older prospect and while that's not really his fault, it's tough to see him having much of an impact on the next good White Sox team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 07:25 AM)
One argument to make here is, his "story" itself gives him an edge. His Olympic experience gives him an edge in handling the daily grind, and knowing what "it" takes.

Just adding a thought here.

To some extent, the guy has seen pressure at a level that is probably equal to the World Series by succeeding at the highest Olympic levels. He obviously has the fortitude to handle himself. Now the question is how can he make himself viable into a team that already has Tim Anderson, Yoan Moncada, and Tyler Saladino up the middle. The answer is that even if he is good enough to push himself to the major league level, there is probably no where for him to go here.

There's like 6 posters that regularly post back here, so if anyone of them gets a crush it becomes disproportional. You can already see the soxtalk push happening for Delmonico.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
There's like 6 posters that regularly post back here, so if anyone of them gets a crush it becomes disproportional. You can already see the soxtalk push happening for Delmonico.

Delmonico was actually a real prospect before though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
I tend to agree with CWS here. Alvarez can really get on base but he's hit a pretty decent wall in the upper levels in the minors. I am no going to say the drop down to AA was an indictment on him given the addition to Moncada, but Alvarez needs to put together a serious year this year to hold any prospect. He has little power and isn't an everyday SS. Great story, but he's not a sleeper for long if he is now.

Guys I think will improve on their rankings on their performance alone:

Collins - This guy can be an offensive force. Sox said they got the top bat in draft on draft night. I am closer to believing them now than I was in June.

Dunning - A ball won't challenge this guy. Lack of spotlight at Florida may have discounted scouts' opportunity to see his ability. Throws strikes and has better stuff than advertised.

Bernardo Flores - Not sure he stays as a starter long term but his repertoire is totally different than what scouts saw in college. A bit thin, but amazing the Sox got a 6'3" lefty rushing it up there (topped at 97) who has a semblance of secondary offerings in the 7th round.

Clark - Dude gets outs. Simple as that. Not sexy by any means but I won't be surprised if he has a career in the big leagues that's much more than a AAAA guy.

Luis Martinez - Started to put it together last year. Started this year with an injury, but good stuff, good frame and has he has gotten reps, the results have followed. Big year for the already 22 year old in W-S.

Victor Diaz - I've talked about him before but really simple stuff here. The makings of a late reliever.

Dunning I expect to surprise people this season

His stuff appears solid and he already is pretty polished

I could see him sneaking into the back of the top 100 prospects by midseason if he performs like he is capable of

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 07:06 AM)
Mitch Roman and Ian Hamilton.

Both had great years last year as rookies, and both have gotten off to very hot starts this month.

Roman is interesting as a future utility guy

Hamilton seems like his ceiling is a middle reliever

Love the extra pop Johan Cruz is starting to show. If he can post a BB rate closer to last year the guy could really break out (I know it's a crazy small sample size).

Also, anyone have any intel on how Joel Booker's defense is? Like Roman the guy just keeps hitting and brings some serious speed. Zero pop but pretty solid BB/K rates so far too.

Edited by Username