White Sox Winner!

bmags

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 06:44 PM)
So...what if Avi's finally figured it out?

That'd be awesome and I'll say that I highly doubt it's the case. I hope I'm wrong but I expect a fast and hard fall back to earth at some point in the next few weeks.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 05:37 PM)
Kinda sucks that Holland, Shields and Robertson are going to steal Cy Young votes from each other.

That does suck.

But Sale is going to win it anyway. You know -- East Coast media bias.

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 06:46 PM)
That'd be awesome and I'll say that I highly doubt it's the case. I hope I'm wrong but I expect a fast and hard fall back to earth at some point in the next few weeks.

Yeah agree. For me it's if we get to June and his line drive % is still advanced (doesn't need to be this good obviously) and k rate has stayed lower then I'll buy in that he has finally fixed his swing. He may never be great at pitch recognition but if he can handle high fastballs and elevate pitches it may be good enough for his terrible defense.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 06:46 PM)

Yeah I think we've seen Avi get hot for periods of 1-2 weeks, but I'm not sure if he's ever been this hot. I'll have to dig deeper into how he's hit so far. If he's lifting the ball more, it's a good turning point. His problem has always been hitting too many grounders.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 06:49 PM)
Yeah I think we've seen Avi get hot for periods of 1-2 weeks, but I'm not sure if he's ever been this hot. I'll have to dig deeper into how he's hit so far. If he's lifting the ball more, it's a good turning point. His problem has always been hitting too many grounders.

Definitely. Like you said, he's been hot before but definitely not THIS hot so that's at least eye opening. Still, I just don't expect it to last. I don't mean to be debbie downer here in the winner thread as it's definitely been fun to watch so far but I just don't expect it to last. Prove me wrong, Avi.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 06:51 PM)
Definitely. Like you said, he's been hot before but definitely not THIS hot so that's at least eye opening. Still, I just don't expect it to last. I don't mean to be debbie downer here in the winner thread as it's definitely been fun to watch so far but I just don't expect it to last. Prove me wrong, Avi.

I think the difference is in the past when he gets hot, he would seem to get a lot of cheap hits, couple of ducks over the 2B, etc. He is just crushing the ball right now. I don't know if the new swing plane is it, or what, but dayum.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 06:53 PM)
I think the difference is in the past when he gets hot, he would seem to get a lot of cheap hits, couple of ducks over the 2B, etc. He is just crushing the ball right now. I don't know if the new swing plane is it, or what, but dayum.

He had some stretches last year where he was destroying the ball too. Obviously not like this but he's had stretches before. We'll see.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 06:53 PM)

He did have that homer fest in august 2015 for 2 weeks after Steverson pressed elevating to him but he receded to old habits quickly. So, yeah he's been hot before. But I'm rooting for him. Now that team ain't contending it's cool to watch and hope.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 06:51 PM)

I mean he's not gonna hit .450 all year.

His GB% is down to 45% and his FB% up to 31. Both career highs for him. Small sample size, but if it's a new approach/swing he's using, then it's working. Coincidentally, he's actually not hitting the ball as hard as previous years. His hard hit ball % is 10% lower than last year. But he's decreased his weak contact.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 06:55 PM)
I mean he's not gonna hit .450 all year.

His GB% is down to 45% and his FB% up to 31. Both career highs for him. Small sample size, but if it's a new approach/swing he's using, then it's working. Coincidentally, he's actually not hitting the ball as hard as previous years. His hard hit ball % is 10% lower than last year. But he's decreased his weak contact.

Haha, by last I meant having a legit good season, I wasn't talking about having an insane season.

This is good stuff though, definitely interesting.

This team reminds me of some of the Sox teams from the 50's and 60's in this respect. Offense is terrible (19 runs in last seven games, 10 in a single game during that stretch) but because of their pitching they are winning most of the 2-1 and 3-1 games to this point.

And you trade Shields and Avi as soon as possible, their value will never be higher if they keep this mirage up.

Mark

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 07:18 PM)
Have you all apologized to Shields yet?

The thing about Avi has always been the exit velocity, dude hits the ball hard as hell, just can't elevate. If he starts hitting the ball in the air you have to take him seriously.

As much as I want to see Vintage Shields, dude has a 1.69 era and a 5.28 FIP. That walk total has to come down by like half if he is going to be decent this season.

EDIT: just saw that was only his first two starts, and not including today. My guess is that five hits and three more walks isn't going to help that FIP at all.