Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is plenty of reason for them to "tank" next year, but not to this extent. A top 10 pick gives them protection for the following offseason, and that offseason is going to be a hell of a lot more important for them in the long run than this offseason. They will not be investing in much of anything as far as free agents go this year, but I could absolutely see the purse strings open up quite a bit following 2018. They are looking at maybe $40 million in commitments beyond the 2018 season, and that's if they keep everyone they currently have. They could easily trade Shields ($2 million buyout), Jones ($4.65 mill option, $1.25 mill buyout), and maybe Abreu (~$13 million) and Avisail (~$7 mill), while Rodon may not get the number I figured for him ($6 mill). Their payroll was like $150 million just a few years ago (B-R shows $170 million, but I don't recall the kickbacks from other teams, and that number seems high). They'll have money to spend.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
There is plenty of reason for them to "tank" next year, but not to this extent. A top 10 pick gives them protection for the following offseason, and that offseason is going to be a hell of a lot more important for them in the long run than this offseason. They will not be investing in much of anything as far as free agents go this year, but I could absolutely see the purse strings open up quite a bit following 2018. They are looking at maybe $40 million in commitments beyond the 2018 season, and that's if they keep everyone they currently have. They could easily trade Shields ($2 million buyout), Jones ($4.65 mill option, $1.25 mill buyout), and maybe Abreu (~$13 million) and Avisail (~$7 mill), while Rodon may not get the number I figured for him ($6 mill). Their payroll was like $150 million just a few years ago (B-R shows $170 million, but I don't recall the kickbacks from other teams, and that number seems high). They'll have money to spend.

I thought they did away with giving up your 1st round pick for signing free agents? Did I hear this wrong?

And if I'm the Sox, the teardown mode should be over. Whether they wait a year to start building it back up from outside sources (like free agency) is another question.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 08:45 AM)

I fully expect us to be surprisingly competitive next season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)

The Sox have been 26-27 in their last 53 games. Add in Kopech and eloy, and thus team competes for the 2nd wild card next year.

QUOTE (Soha @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
I thought they did away with giving up your 1st round pick for signing free agents? Did I hear this wrong?

And if I'm the Sox, the teardown mode should be over. Whether they wait a year to start building it back up from outside sources (like free agency) is another question.

You're right it did, they will now give up a 3rd round pick if they are under the tax threshold, which the Sox will be. My apologies.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2016/11/30/138...ails-luxury-tax

Let 'er rip then!

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
The Sox have been 26-27 in their last 53 games. Add in Kopech and eloy, and thus team competes for the 2nd wild card next year.

That's assuming those two hit the ground running. They wouldn't be the first rookies to struggle out of the gate.

I think they'll be much better next year, but I still think they end up around 78-81 wins.

It's early to predict, but is it conceivable the Sox could be better than the Tigers and Royals? Absolutley. The Twins? Maybe. The Rays, Orioles, Rangers, A's, Angels? Hmmm...

Middle of the pack if all goes right. It's a team that has the potential to surprise, but the rebuild continues.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
Hahn is on the Score at 11.

He'll say the draft is deep and he's happy about the winning, but there's no way they don't wish they lost a few more, or aren't pissed the Tigers tanked that bad over the last couple months.

Forgive me for being confused but isn't that what nearly everyone on these boards wanted the Sox to do this year? I remember half the board even wanting the Cubs to sweep them. How is what the Tigers did any different?

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
Forgive me for being confused but isn't that what nearly everyone on these boards wanted the Sox to do this year? I remember half the board even wanting the Cubs to sweep them. How is what the Tigers did any different?

The Tigers were 51-57, and then went 13-40.

It’s not like they went 22-32 three times in a row.

It’s been an historic freefall for Detroit.

Edited by flavum