2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 10:21 AM)
I’m not advocating they don’t meet with him, I’m just asking if he was still on that as he was last year with 49ers because it makes it unlikely he comes here.

My whole thing is you never know what is a "rumor" vs. "fact". But I am not really interested in bringing in a HC who wants total control because more often then not, it doesn't work.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 02:28 PM)
My whole thing is you never know what is a "rumor" vs. "fact". But I am not really interested in bringing in a HC who wants total control because more often then not, it doesn't work.

I'd say this goes double for McDaniels given his history.

In terms of Defilippo...he is intriguing, but I really don't like the fact that he hasn't called plays, etc. Huge jump vs. Reich who called plays, etc. Shurmur very much intrigues me because I like how balanced the Vikings attack is and still believe balanced attacks work well in the NFL (especially when you are going to play a lot of cold weather games).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 12:37 PM)
In terms of Defilippo...he is intriguing, but I really don't like the fact that he hasn't called plays, etc. Huge jump vs. Reich who called plays, etc. Shurmur very much intrigues me because I like how balanced the Vikings attack is and still believe balanced attacks work well in the NFL (especially when you are going to play a lot of cold weather games).

Defillipo was the OC for the Browns in 2015, let go when Mike Pettine was fired.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 01:54 PM)
Defillipo was the OC for the Browns in 2015, let go when Mike Pettine was fired.

Think he was OC when Manziel was there. Bill Walsh himself wouldn't have gotten anything from that loser.

Rough year with 8 decent but not good games from McCown, 6 from Manziel and 2 from Austin Davis.

But his work with Carr in Oakland and Wentz in Philly are pretty incredible, and from what it sounds like he's been around and is one of those well connected coaches in that fraternity.

I can see pros and cons, he would sort of be "chasing last years success" with the Rams, but definitely seems like when he's reported on he's one of those guys where everyone thinks he'll be a head coach.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 01:07 PM)
Rough year with 8 decent but not good games from McCown, 6 from Manziel and 2 from Austin Davis.

But his work with Carr in Oakland and Wentz in Philly are pretty incredible, and from what it sounds like he's been around and is one of those well connected coaches in that fraternity.

I can see pros and cons, he would sort of be "chasing last years success" with the Rams, but definitely seems like when he's reported on he's one of those guys where everyone thinks he'll be a head coach.

It was only a year or two in the Mountain West, but San Jose State had a solid offensive turnaround under him as OC.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:07 AM)

I still like McDaniels quite a bit. If I were hiring last year, I'd have hired him or Shanny. This article (albeit dated) is a pretty good read on the redemption of McDaniels. He's a really bright mind, who could really be great, imo.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428...-pick-his-spots

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:15 AM)
McDaniels is an unstable person when he gets power.

He was 33 years old at the time. I think it is hard to say that is how he is going to be forever. People learn and he is a very gifted offensive mind and talented individual. If he took advantage and learned from his mistakes at a young age, he could actually be better positioned then anyone to truly excel.

For me McDaniel's terrible year as Rams OC is a bigger indictment than his Broncos run. Bradford got worse that year, they had a good RB, the only thing really right was the emergence of Brandon Lloyd, but they were like 32 or 31st in offense that year.

I should also point out that McDaniels could be an epic disaster. I think he is near top of the list from an upside perspective, but downside is he is actually crazy and too emotional to stay level headed and make rational decisions (critical as a head coach). You'd have to interview him and do a lot of homework. When things get tough (and they will be tough early on for the Bears), you got to have the ability to maintain the course and handle the adversity, not meltdown.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:21 AM)
For me McDaniel's terrible year as Rams OC is a bigger indictment than his Broncos run. Bradford got worse that year, they had a good RB, the only thing really right was the emergence of Brandon Lloyd, but they were like 32 or 31st in offense that year.

I agree with this. Brady makes everyone look good.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 01:23 PM)
I mean all we need to do is go back to Belichecks time in Cleveland to show what can change.

In his second to last season he went 11-5 and went to the title game with Cleveland.

Here's my personal ranking:

1. Nagy

2. Shurmur

3. Defillipo

4. matt LeFleur

5. Patricia

6. McDaniels

7.Toub

I should note that I used to like Jim Bob Cooter for the job. I had no idea about his background with DUI and home invasion. Would obviously want to steer clear.

After being down on this coaching class in mid season I actually really like it now. Would be happy with any on that list except Carmichael.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:33 AM)
I am also on the DeFillipo train, but also have some interest in LeFleur and the two Pats coordinators.

I like DeFillipo, Reich, the Arizona DC, Shurmur, and as you all know I'm intrigued with McDaniels. Bill O'Brien would top my list if Houston did part ways with him. I also am accepting of Toub.

Jackson would have been a great OC hire. I'm curious to see if any other jobs open up. Could be far fewer teams looking for head coaches then initially expected, right?

Oakland, Arizona, Detroit, Indy, Giants, Bears. Anyone else I'm missing? Browns is uncertain since Marvin Lewis is out of contract.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 01:38 PM)
I like DeFillipo, Reich, the Arizona DC, Shurmur, and as you all know I'm intrigued with McDaniels. Bill O'Brien would top my list if Houston did part ways with him. I also am accepting of Toub.

Bill O'Brien would have lost a power play in Houston if he is out. That would pretty much rule him out in Chicago's rigid structure in my mind.