Jose Abreu

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/late...lo-stanton.html

. The Cardinals have been linked to Giancarlo Stanton in trade speculation since the summer, and now Peter Gammons of GammonsDaily.com writes that the Cards are reportedly willing to offer the Marlins “one of their best young pitchers” in a Stanton trade, provided that Miami covers some of the $295MM remaining on the slugger’s enormous contract.

Interesting read but Gammons article is a bit contradictory. Starting to doubt the Cards could really land Stanton since it would take so many things to line up. Would be easier for a team like Boston or even the Yanks to step in and make an offer without asking for much money, if any, in return.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 4, 2017 -> 03:06 PM)
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/late...lo-stanton.html

Interesting read but Gammons article is a bit contradictory. Starting to doubt the Cards could really land Stanton since it would take so many things to line up. Would be easier for a team like Boston or even the Yanks to step in and make an offer without asking for much money, if any, in return.

Yanks, Boston and Dodgers have very serious luxury tax concerns. It's not just $$. If you are over the tax you lose international money and you have to give up a 2nd an 5th rounder to sign any free agent given a QO. I think teams like the Cardinals and Phillies are most likely.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 4, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
Yanks, Boston and Dodgers have very serious luxury tax concerns. It's not just $$. If you are over the tax you lose international money and you have to give up a 2nd an 5th rounder to sign any free agent given a QO. I think teams like the Cardinals and Phillies are most likely.

Agree about Boston and LA but as of now, the Yanks 2018 payroll is speculated to be about 150M after all salary obligations are tallied up. Bare in mind they did have some salary come off the books with the biggest being Sabathia's 25M, which opens up just enough room for Stanton. I'm starting to think the Yanks jump into the mix for Stanton and have a better chance than Boston, STL and Philly at landing him. They could start a trade offer with Clint Frazier and go from there without asking for much money from the Marlins.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NY...contracts.shtml

Read the Gammons piece again. It's very contradictory in that it relies on Mozeliak to take on big salary, which he has publicly stated he's not a fan of, and requires the Marlins to eat some of Stanton's salary, which the Marlins do not want to do. Plus, Stanton has said he prefers to play on either coast which doesn't bode well for the Cards and Stanton would need to approve of the trade. I've always liked Gammons but I think he's full of s*** on this one.

That being said. This could be a good thing if the Cards were genuinely interested in Avi at the trade deadline. Once Stanton finds his knew home, the Cards could turn their attention to Avi. I still have my doubts on their interest but it's the off season so there's nothing wrong with entertaining the idea.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
White Sox not even mentioned... no big surprise there.

Well, not as a suitor...

The Red Sox’ payroll isn’t limitless — it actually has never topped $200MM to open a season — and the club already has some risky long-term commitments. Plus, in the mid-term the pitching staff is arguably the greater concern, as several top arms will hit the open market over the coming years. Bradley is no slouch; he’s younger and cheaper than Stanton and handily outperformed him in a 5-WAR season in 2016. Perhaps re-arranging the deck chairs in this manner isn’t the most efficient way to improve in the near term and isn’t worth the long-term risk. The club might find it easier simply to acquire a shiny new first baseman, with Jose Abreu representing a particularly interesting trade candidate. And the Sox aren’t exactly overflowing with expendable, quality young players at or near the majors in the way that the Cardinals are; that doesn’t preclude a deal, but makes it a bit more difficult to see how the sides would line up if there’s competition in the market.

If the Rockies are going to trade for a big hitter, Jose Abreu could make for a better fit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
White Sox not even mentioned... no big surprise there.

Yeah, no kidding.

After reading that it's hard to imagine the Marlins trading Stanton without eating a significant amount of money. How significant I do not know.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale 51m51 minutes ago It would be a stunning upset if #Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton is traded anywhere besides the #Stlcards or #SFGiants. They each have the money to pull it off, and Cards have loaded farm system, if necessary

I'm just not sure how much surplus value there will be left on his contract, especially if Miami wants significant prospects and to dump the entire salary?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale 47m47 minutes ago Giancarlo Stanton would love to be traded to the #Dodgers or #Angels but neither team has shown even the slightest of interest considering he's still owed $295 million

Can you imagine if LAA had the money for that?

2. Trout

3. Stanton

4. Upton

That would be something.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 05:15 PM)
Can you imagine if LAA had the money for that?

2. Trout

3. Stanton

4. Upton

That would be something.

Weren't the Angels up near the Luxury tax line a couple years ago? Yeah I just checked and they hit $180 mil in 2016. B-R has them all the way down to $140 committed right now counting arbitration cases. They might well have room.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/late...ns-4-teams.html

The Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants and Phillies are early contenders to put together a trade for Marlins superstar Giancarlo Stanton, Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports (on Twitter). There has been “preliminary communication” regarding the right fielder between each of those teams and the Marlins, according to Morosi, who adds that talks are likely to “intensify” at next week’s general managers meetings.

I wonder if Reinsdorf's history of not spending is the only reason the Sox have not come up in any of these articles about possible landing spots for Stanton. They have the prospect depth to get it done without mortgaging the future and will have virtually no money on the books once Shields is gone, which should at least make them worth mentioning.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Nov 11, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
I wonder if Reinsdorf's history of not spending is the only reason the Sox have not come up in any of these articles about possible landing spots for Stanton. They have the prospect depth to get it done without mortgaging the future and will have virtually no money on the books once Shields is gone, which should at least make them worth mentioning.
JR is not going to spend money on Stanton or anybody else this off season. White Sox Math=low payroll=more profits=more moola for JR.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Nov 11, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)

It's not about his not spending, it's that is not the right fit and this is an albatross of a contract.

I'm not going to say it wouldn't be cool to see Giancarlo Stanton in a Sox uniform, because it would, but there is such little in the way of reward with so much more risk. It's not worth it.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Nov 11, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
JR is not going to spend money on Stanton or anybody else this off season. White Sox Math=low payroll=more profits=more moola for JR.

The Sox payroll was up around $150-170 million like 3 years ago, or did you forget about that? The Sox are young and the team isn't that good, this is not the time to spend.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 11, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
It's not about his not spending, it's that is not the right fit and this is an albatross of a contract.

I'm not going to say it wouldn't be cool to see Giancarlo Stanton in a Sox uniform, because it would, but there is such little in the way of reward with so much more risk. It's not worth it.

The Sox payroll was up around $150-170 million like 3 years ago, or did you forget about that? The Sox are young and the team isn't that good, this is not the time to spend.

You took the click bait wite.