The Athletic Sits down with Hahn

Heads22

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)
Fantastic read. Here's the transcription:

https://theathletic.com/189936/2017/12/21/r...year-interview/

Here's the article

https://theathletic.com/182172/2017/12/18/r...spiring-dreams/

Not sure if you have to subscribe to read it, but it's got a LOT

Very thorough and well done. It's long but very good!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 12:42 AM)
?

Quotes from their co-founder...

“We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing,” Alex Mather, a co-founder of The Athletic, said in an interview in San Francisco. “We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them.”

and about blogs...

“In a city like Chicago, there are 100,000 die-hard fans,” Mather said. “That is a very lucrative subscription business. There are over 100,000 die-hard fans of Chicago teams outside of Chicago,” he added, and he says they aren’t served well. “Bleacher Report is empty calories. SB Nation is empty calories. The newspapers are doing nothing.”

If you follow SouthSideSox on twitter, you will have seen their username was "Empty Calories" for a while.

Well whatever their intentions are, it's the best place for Chicago sports articles now. By a mile. I bit on a year sub on black friday weekend. It was $30 for a year. I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth.

Edited by Soha

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 12:52 AM)

“We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing,” Alex Mather, a co-founder of The Athletic, said in an interview in San Francisco. “We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them.”

and about blogs...

“In a city like Chicago, there are 100,000 die-hard fans,” Mather said. “That is a very lucrative subscription business. There are over 100,000 die-hard fans of Chicago teams outside of Chicago,” he added, and he says they aren’t served well. “Bleacher Report is empty calories. SB Nation is empty calories. The newspapers are doing nothing.”

If you follow SouthSideSox on twitter, you will have seen their username was "Empty Calories" for a while.

How is that bad press? Isn’t he simply explaining his business model?

One thing that I like, I don't recall before reporters drilling down timelines of how a deal gets put together as much as they do now and it's something that I really get entertained by.

With Eloy, it's confirmed now that Eloy and Cease were confirmed Tuesday night, Wednesday was finding the back two, and it was confirmed wed night but they waited since it was too late.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 22, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)

and about blogs...

Doesn't bother me.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 08:10 AM)
How is that bad press? Isn’t he simply explaining his business model?

Because typically acting like a blood thirsty c*** isn't well received. Their content might be awesome, good for them, but those c***y comments about how everyone else sucks and they want them to all die turned me off of ever supporting them.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
Because typically acting like a blood thirsty c*** isn't well received. Their content might be awesome, good for them, but those c***y comments about how everyone else sucks and they want them to all die turned me off of ever supporting them.

It’s called business. I can’t really see how anyone would be offended by this unless they worked for Bleacher Report or one of the sites he ripped. Whatever, it’a your loss as the content is beyond incredible.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
It’s called business. I can’t really see how anyone would be offended by this unless they worked for Bleacher Report or one of the sites he ripped. Whatever, it’a your loss as the content is beyond incredible.

The problem is that he said it publicly. Every other business keeps those comments in house.

That was the first site I ever paid money to read. I originally did it just for the college football coverage, but with the Chicago coverage too, it's a no brainer to sign.up.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 06:10 PM)
They clearly were trying to push the envelop, get some additional press, but they probably went too far.

At the end of the day, they've created a great product. They capitalized on an out-dated market and gave consumers an affordable, user friendly product. I'm a fan.

I can agree with this, the guy should have probably toned it down some, but to boycott the product over this one dude’s comments is pretty absurd to me. Me on the otherhand will happily $4/month to gain ad-free to their great stable of writers & local content.