Adam Engel

KnightsOnMintSt

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 11:29 AM)
I like it other than Engel...he needs to be in AAA if he's not starting.

Can that guy we got from the Brewers play CF?

Why does he need to be in AAA? He's not an actual prospect. His likely major league role is as a 4th OF. There's no harm in letting him do that.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not get the Tilson love on this board. He needs to prove himself again after missing like a season and a half before I even consider handing him a starting job. The OF to begin 2018 should be Delmonico in LF, Leury in CF, & Avi in RF. Tilson should have to compete against Engel & Cordell for a reserve role. If he wins that and does well as a reserve, we can djnd ways to get him more at-bats. I just don’t see much upside with Tilson.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 11:47 AM)
I do not get the Tilson love on this board. He needs to prove himself again after missing like a season and a half before I even consider handing him a starting job. The OF to begin 2018 should be Delmonico in LF, Leury in CF, & Avi in RF. Tilson should have to compete against Engel & Cordell for a reserve role. If he wins that and does well as a reserve, we can djnd ways to get him more at-bats. I just don't see much upside with Tilson.

For me the leaders coming into spring are Engel and Garcia, with Tilson and Cordell running in the next tier. Doesn't mean Tilson can't win, but he is definitely starting out from behind IMO.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 11:38 AM)
Why does he need to be in AAA? He's not an actual prospect. His likely major league role is as a 4th OF. There's no harm in letting him do that.

Because his hitting is substandard, even for a 4th/5th outfielder. He's good enough defensively to offer 1 more year to find out of he can develop the bat to at least 4th OF level (and he'd be a good one, if he can). He's shown flashes with that good AFL

Anyway, I like the projected Sox lineup....it's a good rebuild lineup (better in many ways than the "go for it" teams). Add Machado the following year and it's pretty good, if backed by pitching (which has a loooong way to go). REally looking forward to a full year of Delmonico...promising start last year and he takes pitches, which is refreshing.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 12:08 PM)
Because his hitting is substandard, even for a 4th/5th outfielder. He's good enough defensively to offer 1 more year to find out of he can develop the bat to at least 4th OF level (and he'd be a good one, if he can). He's shown flashes with that good AFL

Anyway, I like the projected Sox lineup....it's a good rebuild lineup (better in many ways than the "go for it" teams). Add Machado the following year and it's pretty good, if backed by pitching (which has a loooong way to go). REally looking forward to a full year of Delmonico...promising start last year and he takes pitches, which is refreshing.

I think you are being way to premature here. Engel was up very early for what he has accomplished. He wouldn't have even been up if it wasn't for injuries, Eaton's trade, and May bombing. Engel has also showing a propensity for getting it after an amount of time, much like Leury. He might not hit this year either at the major league level, but it is way too early to relegate him to a 5th OF title based on the fact he has hit in the minors plenty enough if he were to hit at the same level in the majors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 12:25 PM)
I think you are being way to premature here. Engel was up very early for what he has accomplished. He wouldn't have even been up if it wasn't for injuries, Eaton's trade, and May bombing. Engel has also showing a propensity for getting it after an amount of time, much like Leury. He might not hit this year either at the major league level, but it is way too early to relegate him to a 5th OF title based on the fact he has hit in the minors plenty enough if he were to hit at the same level in the majors.

I'm not writing him off but I wouldn't bet on it. He's a constant tinkerer. Always has been in the minors too. He'll have success doing things a certain way for 10 days and then totally change have success and then become bad again. Rinse and repeat. Even if he's an extra OF and can carve out a career, he's a great scouting success as a 19th rounder. I just wouldn't be couting on to contribute really.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 06:35 AM)
That's not really true though. There are tweets out there about Garcia making a catch with an over 29 time, as well as his baseball cube page still listing him as a 93 out of 100 on the speed scale, which would put him at around a 75 speed

Look at how baseball cube comes up with their speed rating.

"Speed: Number of stolen bases per trips to first base. Does not consider whether there are other runners on base blocking his path".

That is legitimately the worst way to measure speed I've ever seen.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 02:29 PM)

"Speed: Number of stolen bases per trips to first base. Does not consider whether there are other runners on base blocking his path".

Versus taking one time set and making it gospel?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 11:47 AM)
I do not get the Tilson love on this board. He needs to prove himself again after missing like a season and a half before I even consider handing him a starting job. The OF to begin 2018 should be Delmonico in LF, Leury in CF, & Avi in RF. Tilson should have to compete against Engel & Cordell for a reserve role. If he wins that and does well as a reserve, we can djnd ways to get him more at-bats. I just don’t see much upside with Tilson.

The Sox thought enough of him to bring him to the MLB after the trade. He has done all he can in the MiLB. He just needs to prove he's healthy. All of the other CF candidates have shown serious flaws in their game. Why not give him the shot? He is the unknown and they should use the season to see if he has anything.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 02:37 PM)
The Sox thought enough of him to bring him to the MLB after the trade. He has done all he can in the MiLB. He just needs to prove he's healthy. All of the other CF candidates have shown serious flaws in their game. Why not give him the shot? He is the unknown and they should use the season to see if he has anything.

What flaw did Leury show last year other than possibly health? And if that’s his flaw, that same thing is Tilson’s kryptonite.

I can’t see any rationale argument for Tilson over Leury.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 02:59 PM)
What flaw did Leury show last year other than possibly health? And if that’s his flaw, that same thing is Tilson’s kryptonite.

I can’t see any rationale argument for Tilson over Leury.

That he's decent. He's nothing special. They don't know about Tilson. As long as they are "wasting" another season on development, they may as well see what they have in Tilson. They know what they have in Garcia, a decent player. That is the rationale for Tilson. If they were trying to compete this year, Garcia would be the safer option. But it's not so they should see what Tilson has.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 02:29 PM)

My baseball cube page says I had a higher speed rating than Jacob May. I can assure you that I was never faster than Jacob May and it probably wasn't even close.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 05:03 PM)
That he's decent. He's nothing special. They don't know about Tilson. As long as they are "wasting" another season on development, they may as well see what they have in Tilson. They know what they have in Garcia, a decent player. That is the rationale for Tilson. If they were trying to compete this year, Garcia would be the safer option. But it's not so they should see what Tilson has.

I have no issue expecting to play all of them (hence why I want to keep some of these spots open). But I should ask - why do we know that Leury can't go from "Decent" to "Good" with continued playing time?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 03:03 PM)

Tilson's upside is only a decent player IMO, so why displace a guy that has already proven to be that? If Leury can show his offensive numbers pre-injury weren't a fluke, he can be a perfect transition piece to Robert or a valuable trade chip given his defensive versatility. I really think Tilson ends up being nothing more than a 4th OF and not necessarily a great one since he doesn't really have the arm for RF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 03:10 PM)
I have no issue expecting to play all of them (hence why I want to keep some of these spots open). But I should ask - why do we know that Leury can't go from "Decent" to "Good" with continued playing time?

He could. However, a guy who spent 9 years in the minors with decent stats and who has been decent to below average probably won't advance to good. He can still play but be in the role of which he is most suited, utility guy who can play multiple positions.

tilson is the unknown. Play him the majority of the time to see what he can be. he might suck or be an all-star.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 03:39 PM)
Tilson's upside is only a decent player IMO, so why displace a guy that has already proven to be that? If Leury can show his offensive numbers pre-injury weren't a fluke, he can be a perfect transition piece to Robert or a valuable trade chip given his defensive versatility. I really think Tilson ends up being nothing more than a 4th OF and not necessarily a great one since he doesn't really have the arm for RF.

This is your opinion as you noted. However, no one knows so they need to find out in a development year. Garcia's entire history for the past 13 years (minors included) is decent to below average wherever he has been. Garcia has a spot on a good team as a utility guy. The Sox know this. No one has any idea what Tilson will be.

It's the same discussion with all of the young players this year. This is the year to find out if they have a place in the MLB and can contribute to a good team or are they just fillers.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 05:25 PM)
This is your opinion as you noted. However, no one knows so they need to find out in a development year. Garcia's entire history for the past 13 years (minors included) is decent to below average wherever he has been. Garcia has a spot on a good team as a utility guy. The Sox know this. No one has any idea what Tilson will be.

It's the same discussion with all of the young players this year. This is the year to find out if they have a place in the MLB and can contribute to a good team or are they just fillers.

I gotta disagree with you here. Leury’s AAA stats the last few years have actually been good and greatly exceeded Tilson’s AAA numbers. He was a league average hitter last year in the majors despite being hindered by an injury. He’s only 26 years right now (27 in March) and can most definitely get better. He is also a far superior athlete than Tilson. Again, this “need to find out” what Tilson is ignores the fact that the vast majority of scouts don’t believe he will ever be much more than a 4th OF and does so at the expense of three guys with much higher ceilings (Cordell & Engel). We don’t even know at this point if Tilson is the same player he once was and if his speed, a critical part of his game, will return in full. I really don’t get the allure of handing Tilson starting role.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 05:21 PM)
He could. However, a guy who spent 9 years in the minors with decent stats and who has been decent to below average probably won't advance to good. He can still play but be in the role of which he is most suited, utility guy who can play multiple positions.

That's why I think he can. he played 6 years in the minors with decent stats (bad, really). Suddenly, in 2016 he sports a .793 OPS in Charlotte - he had never been close to that before at any level of the minor leagues. Then last year, he does a decent job in the majors, taking another step up. I think there's a decent chance he takes a third step up this year.

Edited by GreenSox