Jump to content
southsider2k5

2018-19 NCAA Basketball thread

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Bill Self May have a little problem with some of the things coming out of this ongoing trial.

It's weird though, nobody seems to care.  In recent years, people would be going crazy over the details of this trail, but now it's just like whatever.  There was more of an uproar when Louisville was getting their recruits laid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In just crushing news, Jontay Porter tire his ACL in a scrimmage yesterday.

Aside from Mizzou losing its best player, just feel bad for him who would def be in an NBA roster had he gone pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 7:12 AM, LittleHurt05 said:

It's weird though, nobody seems to care.  In recent years, people would be going crazy over the details of this trail, but now it's just like whatever.  There was more of an uproar when Louisville was getting their recruits laid.

Everyone knows the NCAA will do nothing, so why get upset? UNC cheated for decades and the NCAA said they couldnt do anything about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iowa State/Mizzou on Friday in a game where I have no clue what is going to happen. ISU is down 3 guys (their two post starters and sixth man).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2018 at 9:19 PM, Heads22 said:

Iowa State/Mizzou on Friday in a game where I have no clue what is going to happen. ISU is down 3 guys (their two post starters and sixth man).

Same, as with last year, the entire offense was going to be set up through jontay porter, who went down with an ACL a week before the season. 

My hunch is unlike last year mizzou is going to struggle initially before figuring it out later, but it's impossible to know. Mark Smith did look good to open though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize it was only Evansville...but the Illini backcourt looks REALLY good this year!   I'm not sure Trent isn't the 3rd best among he Feliz and Ayo.    They're going to be fun to watch this year.  Hopefully Jordan can keep his stroke up all year (unlike last year when he started out on fire and petered out).  But I have to say...all of sudden out of nowhere....Giorgi is my favorite Illini.  He looked pretty damn polished for an under-recruited big man.  And his enthusiasm is contagious.  He's going to be a fan favorite the next 4 years!

Was disappointed that we didn't get to see Samba Kane play last night (apparently broke a team rule).  He started behind the 8 ball getting here late...so he needs all the PT he can get. I think basically he'll be 5 fouls to give and a rim protector this year.  Who knows...but if the Illini can get anything out of him...with he and Giorgi and healthy Adonis...the Illini may not be a woeful in the frontcourt as most think. 

Tevian Jones...once he gets his feet underneath him and adapts to the speed and physicality of the game...he's going to be a good one.  Illini haven't had players like this for a while.  Not expect a whole lot...but I think this team will be greatly improved...and overall fun to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brian said:

Guys, there's only one game that matters tonight.

SIU 94, Kentucky 82.

Championship preview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bmags said:

Same, as with last year, the entire offense was going to be set up through jontay porter, who went down with an ACL a week before the season. 

My hunch is unlike last year mizzou is going to struggle initially before figuring it out later, but it's impossible to know. Mark Smith did look good to open though.

And ISU thumps Mizzou with Wigginton out. No clue. Missouri looked terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark Smith seems to be shooting well from the 3 and rebounding well for Missouri. 1 assist in two games though. Just looking at stats it looks like he's a spot up shooter. How has his defense been? He was awful on that end for Illinois last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Heads22 said:

And ISU thumps Mizzou with Wigginton out. No clue. Missouri looked terrible.

Shellacking. Stupid big 12 I couldn’t watch. 

My impression is away games are going to be brutal until they figure out a ball handler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SIU actually hung in there against Kentucky until fouling became a huge issue late in the second half.  For the first time in a long time I'm optimistic about this season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bmags said:

Shellacking. Stupid big 12 I couldn’t watch. 

My impression is away games are going to be brutal until they figure out a ball handler.

No one picked up the game; not the Big 12's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't watch much Illini last year, but are there always this many layups in Underwood games? And I'm talking both ends of the court, it's crazy.

And you know you're old when the son of a player you attended college with at the same time is now on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boogua said:

Aaron Jordan and Kipper Nichols... Can't wait for any stench of Groce to just be off this program. Just losing players.

RIGHT?!?!  Kipper is such a lazy ass...and Jordan just isn't a D1 player IMO.  He's had so many chances...and people keep expecting him to rise up.  Ain't happening.  Nichols tho...he has all the talent in the world...but just doesn't seem to get it.  Very disappointing loss tonight...but overall this team is night and day better than it was at this time last year.  The young guys are really fun to watch.  Just need a few more stallions.  Got a really nice big commit tonight.  Khalil Whitney sure would have been nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Didn't watch much Illini last year, but are there always this many layups in Underwood games? And I'm talking both ends of the court, it's crazy.

And you know you're old when the son of a player you attended college with at the same time is now on the team.

he really needs to alter his defensive philosophy...it sucks ass!  He had to scrap it at OSU...and he doesn't have the personnel to do it here yet either.  This overplaying D...good God.  I don't mind the 3/4 press...but it's about time to think about falling back into a 2-3 zone.  The lane just gets gashed every time down the court.  The young guys are fun to watch tho.  Giorgi...lol...he's going to be an Illini favorite for his entire 4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Wanne said:

RIGHT?!?!  Kipper is such a lazy ass...and Jordan just isn't a D1 player IMO.  He's had so many chances...and people keep expecting him to rise up.  Ain't happening.  Nichols tho...he has all the talent in the world...but just doesn't seem to get it.  Very disappointing loss tonight...but overall this team is night and day better than it was at this time last year.  The young guys are really fun to watch.  Just need a few more stallions.  Got a really nice big commit tonight.  Khalil Whitney sure would have been nice.

Is it?  Sure we had some decent success with the offense but Georgetown is a low tier P5 team at this point.  They played extremely young as well, and yet they flourished at the end of the game, on the road, in a hostile environment.  Yet again this team can't close, I'm glad to hear the team isn't accepting that in the locker room after the game but until this team learns to close I don't think things have really "changed".  

 

Whitney would be a program changer, but alas that ain't happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×