Draft Profile: 2B Nick Madrigal, Oregon State

NorthSideSox72

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Thanks but it's paywalled, you can post their blurb on the Sox though,  that meets fair use guidelines.

Actually, it's not a piece, which is exclusive for subscribers, I don't think, because I'm not. If you want to read their mock draft, you have to subscribe, but the article was available. In any case, here is what it said:

“There’s one player that will be first on all 30 draft boards,” said one scouting director. “And the second player will be totally different on all 30 boards.”

There is no clear No. 2 player in this class right now, and the second player on one preference list may be 10th on someone else’s board. That kind of uncertainty will likely lead to plenty of deal-making. As one agent put it, the top 10 will be filled with players making below-slot deals, finding the best landing spot they can in a draft where teams may not be completely sold on anyone.

As we get closer and closer to the draft, the college bats are rising to the top. Players like Jonathan India, Joey Bart and Alec Bohm have the kind of production against top-level competition that can make analytics departments happy, with the tools to appeal to scouts as well." 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Wanne said:

Madrigal is the best pure hitter I've seen come out of college in quite some time.  Yeah...I'd play him at SS.  Not sure how well that'll work out...but from a hitting perspective...there's none better.  I've been high on this kid for the past 3 years. 

I'm right there with you on that one (well, not 3 years, but since last year's draft).

I know a lot of people want to avoid making this comparison, but I see a lot of Jose Altuve in his game. I even saw a video of Altuve hitting in High A, his mechanics then and Madrigal's now are stunningly similar. Of course, we can't count on Madrigal developing that level of power, but at least he has the perfect example to try to study and learn from.

23 hours ago, Lillian said:

I haven't read any specific assertion that Madrigal can't play third, but it is pretty unanimous that he profiles best at second. If you find a scouting report that suggest he could play third, that would be interesting to know.

What I've read is that the only thing holding back from being a SS is his arm, but that he'd probably be playing there anyway except that OSU has some other younger future draft prospect with a slick glove.

19 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Taking a step back, I don't see how you can say no to a current plus hit tool with above average athleticism and work ethic.

I like this. Take a polished hitter and if he forces you to make a tough decision in a year or two, so be it.

I will say this, it’s really hard to ignore what India is doing this year.  We’re talking about a guy in the premier college baseball conference batting .384 with a 20% BB rate & a .396 ISO.  For comparison, Madrigal batter .380 with an 11% BB rate & .152 iso last year.  Obviously you don’t draft just based off stats and Madrigal has an interesting set of tools despite the size concerns, but India is certainly intriguing in his own right.  It doesn’t sound like he has a true carrying tool, but he’s more than solid across the board with very good defensive abilities at 3B.  I said this in the other thread, but if all else is equal I’d take Madrigal over India given the former’s significantly higher floor.  However, if you can get India on a big underslot deal that might be the better overall play given the depth in this year’s draft.

I do not want Madrigal over some of the prep infield talent for a few reasons.

First, I don't think Madrigal has the upside potential that the Sox are finally trying to hit on with their first round pick.

Second, the Sox have indicated that they want to start Drafting younger players so that their talent pool is more balanced age-wise.

Third, there are some absolutely great prep infielders with potentially high upside available.

Fourth, let Tim Anderson have another year  or two pan out a SS. If he does not improve defensively, then you have a young player in the minors who has had a few seasons to prepare.

Fifth, I think the chances that a diminutive player like Madrigal can become a star like Altuve or Pedroia or even Adam Eaton, belies the plain fact that those players are very much exceptions to the rule.

Sixth. We already tried the little guy with Harry Chappas several decades ago.

3 hours ago, tray said:

First, I don't think Madrigal has the upside potential that the Sox are finally trying to hit on with their first round pick.

Second, the Sox have indicated that they want to start Drafting younger players so that their talent pool is more balanced age-wise.

Third, there are some absolutely great prep infielders with potentially high upside available.

Fourth, let Tim Anderson have another year  or two pan out a SS. If he does not improve defensively, then you have a young player in the minors who has had a few seasons to prepare.

Fifth, I think the chances that a diminutive player like Madrigal can become a star like Altuve or Pedroia or even Adam Eaton, belies the plain fact that those players are very much exceptions to the rule.

I don’t think there is a single prep infielder in the top 15 prospects outside of maybe Gorman.

5 hours ago, tray said:

So despite multiple smaller guys in modern time being star players, you are going back 30 years for 1 that did not?

That's when Madrigal trotted to the mound to review pickoff signs with Fehmel and catcher Adley Rutschman. A few pitches later, Branton was headed back to the Stanford dugout.

"That pickoff at second base was huge," Casey said, adding that Madrigal called the play. "That kind of took away some of the momentum that could have went the other way."

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2018/05/no_4_oregon_state_baseball_cli.html#incart_most-read_

From Saturday's game notes....also had a two run triple high off the wall that just missed being a homer.

20 hours ago, tray said:

Madrigal is head and shoulders over any prep hitter in this draft.  I was fortunate enough to get to see Dustin Pedroia's entire ASU career out here where he started every game since his freshman year...sang his praises at draft time to mostly getting crapped on that he was too small, too slow, etc...  That said...I haven't gotten to see Madrigal as much...but have followed him since his frosh season and I honestly think his bat is ever bit as good as Pedroia's was (and he was a career .387 hitter).  The ONLY hesitation I have about Madrigal is we already have Moncada at 2B...so it comes down to do you play Madrigal at SS just to have his bat?  I think his bat is that good that I take that chance...

4 hours ago, Wanne said:

Madrigal is head and shoulders over any prep hitter in this draft.  I was fortunate enough to get to see Dustin Pedroia's entire ASU career out here where he started every game since his freshman year...sang his praises at draft time to mostly getting crapped on that he was too small, too slow, etc...  That said...I haven't gotten to see Madrigal as much...but have followed him since his frosh season and I honestly think his bat is ever bit as good as Pedroia's was (and he was a career .387 hitter).  The ONLY hesitation I have about Madrigal is we already have Moncada at 2B...so it comes down to do you play Madrigal at SS just to have his bat?  I think his bat is that good that I take that chance...

If he has plus defense at SS and 2B, he could always move to 3B to accommodate if need be. A similar move with Bregman worked really well for the Astros.

I was trying to be facetious with Harry Chappas..but the plain fact is that MLB does not have too many short guys who can hit for power and average.  They are relatively rare.

I do not entirely trust the mock Drafts. Even the top ten have really changed over just the past few months. And remember Seth Beer? Or Nander de Sedas?

I'd take Nolan Gorman in a heartbeat.  Maybe I'm wrong, but understand that  I just want the Sox to get a game changer type player in the First Round and that hasn't happened for several years..

2011     Keenyn Walker     
2012     Courtney Hawkins
2013     Tim Anderson     
2014     Carlos Rodon         
2015     Carson Fulmer     
2016     Zack Collins     
2016     Zack Burdi     
2017     Jake Burger

We need to score big time in the first round this year and next.  Not sure a diminutive second basemen is what is needed. Has he hit for power with a wood bat? A lot of the College guys end up being Punch and Judy aluminum bat wackers who do not do well against ML pitching with a wood bat.

Walker was a supplemental pick, they really didn't have a first-rounder that year (because of Adam Dunn signing)...

This is where he was ranked last August, after summer ball/Cape Cod League

4. Nick Madrigal, 2B/SS, Oregon State
Scouts have to get past Madrigal's small stature (5-foot-7, 161 pounds), but they do so pretty easily because he has outstanding instincts in all phases of the game and good tools as well. He is a premium hitter with some gap power and plus speed, and defensively he'll become either a respectable shortstop or a quality second baseman as a pro.

At that moment in time, it was Singer, McClanahan, Mize, Madrigal, Griffin Conine (Jeff's son), Jeremy Eierman (Burger's teammate), Travis Swaggerty, Seth Beer, Ryan Rolison and Logan Gilbert for the Top 10.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-10-college-prospects-for-the-2018-draft/c-249819104

Has a video/report from Jim Callis on the best Summer League players

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, tray said:

I was trying to be facetious with Harry Chappas..but the plain fact is that MLB does not have too many short guys who can hit for power and average.  They are relatively rare.

I do not entirely trust the mock Drafts. Even the top ten have really changed over just the past few months. And remember Seth Beer? Or Nander de Sedas?

I'd take Nolan Gorman in a heartbeat.  Maybe I'm wrong, but understand that  I just want the Sox to get a game changer type player in the First Round and that hasn't happened for several years..

2011     Keenyn Walker     
2012     Courtney Hawkins
2013     Tim Anderson     
2014     Carlos Rodon         
2015     Carson Fulmer     
2016     Zack Collins     
2016     Zack Burdi     
2017     Jake Burger

We need to score big time in the first round this year and next.  Not sure a diminutive second basemen is what is needed. Has he hit for power with a wood bat? A lot of the College guys end up being Punch and Judy aluminum bat wackers who do not do well against ML pitching with a wood bat.

You dog and doubt the best bat in the draft...but say you’d take a HS player you really don’t know that much about (except based on what reports you’ve read).  But then say...you don’t trust the mocks. I’m confused..

Because the White Sox recent draft record with high school hitters just SCREAMS success?

This has most typically been the result:http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=209891

About the only guy who comes to mind who actually made it in the last decade to the major leagues from a HS background is Trayce Thompson...Walker (junior college), Hawkins, Trey M. and Barnum haven't come close to making it.

Edited by caulfield12