2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just to be clear, you think Hinds is still in the latter category (lack of pitch recognition) but is far behind where Adell and Hinds were, so not likely to be flying through the minors like them, correct?

I also thought Adell was hit a bit because of geography. 

Yes I think the hit skills are there they just need to be developed.  He may be a two year guy on the complex but when they do send him out he should move at a good pace.  Dude's got crazy raw power.  

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

2018:

4th - Lency Delgado 

7th Cabera Weaver

11th - Kevin Maldanado

33rd - Bush 

8th - Sam Abbott

None of those guys have played at all this year.  Sox just waiting for the rookie league to start to assign them, I would assume? 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

None of those guys have played at all this year.  Sox just waiting for the rookie league to start to assign them, I would assume? 

Well bush but yeah. Big question is who gets Great Falls assignment. Weaver performed the best, and was the youngest. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

If we get Abrams, we could conceivably overslot him 

Is there some talk that he'll be a tough sign?  A few mocks I looked at (and they could have been dated) had Hinds as a 1st rounder.  

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is there some talk that he'll be a tough sign?  A few mocks I looked at (and they could have been dated) had Hinds as a 1st rounder.  

I'm not as familiar with slot allocations but if Hinds is projected as a late 1st rounder and the Sox draft Abrams as opposed to Vaughn/Rutschman, we may have ~$2-3 million extra that we could offer Hinds that could effectively make it like another 1st round selection. 

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm not as familiar with slot allocations but if Hinds is projected as a late 1st rounder and the Sox draft Abrams as opposed to Vaughn/Rutschman, we may have ~$2-3 million extra that we could offer Hinds that could effectively make it like another 1st round selection. 

Right, but it doesn't matter if he gets drafted before the Sox 2nd round pick (obviously).  

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

2018:

4th - Lency Delgado 

7th Cabera Weaver

11th - Kevin Maldanado

33rd - Bush 

8th - Sam Abbott

6th - Luis Curbelo

4th - Corey Zangari

15th - Chris Comito

2nd - Spencer Adams

10th - Jake Jarvis

2nd - Tyler Danish

5th - Thad Lowry

7th - Trey M

With the exception of 2013 and 2014, there has been very little investment in high schoolers.

Impressive list.  Let's keep going. 

2012- Courtney Hawkins-1st and Keon Barnum second round 

2011-Keenyn Walker-second round 

Again, we better hope that Abrams is so talented that he can develop into a stud without any help from within the Sox organization. The KennyHahna regime has no idea on how to scout, draft, and develop high school talent. 

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Again, we better hope that Abrams is so talented that he can develop into a stud without any help from within the Sox organization. The KennyHahna regime has no idea on how to scout, draft, and develop high school talent. 

Keenyn Walker was not a high school player.

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right, but it doesn't matter if he gets drafted before the Sox 2nd round pick (obviously).  

I’m not sure it’s that much of a concern. Trying to drop Priester is probably impossible. But anyone mocked past 20 could probably be available anywhere from 21-60.

7 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

That is a list of like 12 dudes out of 180 draftees. Most were not even top picks. Your being scared of specifically high schoolers as opposed to “all draft picks” is almost as idiotic as being scared of “athletes”.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

They haven't fucking drafted any.

Literally the most raw, athletic player they drafted recently is on a potential all star season at short stop.

The most polished, sure thing they drafted last year is already struggling.

If you are worried that high schoolers cannot overcome our player development, then you should be so thrilled with their draft philosophy the last 5 years. Why aren't you thrilled?

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Why would Tim Anderson count? He was a JUCO guy?

2 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Really?  1 year?  If Witt or Adley is available at 3 with Abrams.  I guarantee the Sox are taking Witt/Adley.  

1 year is a lot in the baseball world. Being a year older than everyone you play against is a big advantage. 

Being 1/2 a year older matters. Scouts have certainly discredited Whit for being older than his peers. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Abrams isn't even a particularly young senior. 

No, but he's not old for a senior either. Witt is. 

I know some here think 4 months or 5 months and etc dont matter but it certainly does for a developing kid and it is absolutely an advantage. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

That is a list of like 12 dudes out of 180 draftees. Most were not even top picks. Your being scared of specifically high schoolers as opposed to “all draft picks” is almost as idiotic as being scared of “athletes”.

Again, please name one high school player taken in the first 2 rounds by the KW/Hahn regime that has been developed into a productive major leaguer. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd argue that it is best for their long term success in baseball to avoid the Sox system. They have a better chance of making the majors with the other 29 teams. That said, I know it is unlikely to happen. Maybe if it did with HS players it would help. 

My goodness. You realize that it's much more likely the Sox have drafted poorly than developed poorly? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

All of the "experts" say that Witt is the better choice because of the power potential.

Not "all." 

They share the same FV grade from most so its semantics beyond that. I would rather have Abrams - high school power grades are stupidly inefficient. It is just as possible that Abrams pulls a Lindor as it is him hitting 10 Homer's a year. I'll take the supreme athlete given that their hit tools are so similar. 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Again, Sox have followed your preferred draft philosophy. I’m confused why the results aren’t more positive? 

I'm not against taking high schoolers in the first round. I wanted Kelenic over Madrigal last year. 

The results aren't more positive because KW, Hahn, Hostetler, and Getz are terrible at identifying and developing amateur talent. 

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

Again, please name one high school player taken in the first 2 rounds by the KW/Hahn regime that has been developed into a productive major leaguer. 

I already pulled your list. 

What is the 4 year college hitter list look like? Really good? Does it seem like this is a stupid way to judge whether to draft a player yet?

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic