southsider2k5

2018-2019 Official NBA thread

If I'm the Bulls, I'd sit out Lavine and Lauri on Sunday. Markkanen said he felt sick in OT. That's probably why he didn't shoot much late in the 4th quarter and on. Lavine had stomach and leg cramps. Hell, sit Porter too. He was barely able to get off the floor in the 3rd and 4th OT. Got nothing to gain if those guys get serious injuries. They pretty much played 2 games last night. 

10 hours ago, bmags said:

Yeah I’m just reacting to the nba hell line. Some versions of hell are worse than others, we aren’t talking about those like 09/10/11 bucks teams, that’s the worst to me.

But we are a major market, yes we have drafted pretty well but our front office has not done a good job of showing they can go for it in several years. I don’t have a fuzzy feeling that we are going to continually draft good players and find a way to trade them for someone elite because it has yet to happen.  They’ve played well lately but overall they are a dumpster fire. 

Big loss, stay 4 up on ATL, with the way trae looks I think we’ll be pretty up on 4th unless a team like the grizz lose every game going out

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Big loss, stay 4 up on ATL, with the way trae looks I think we’ll be pretty up on 4th unless a team like the grizz lose every game going out

Seeing the Grizz falls makes it nice to have gotten their 2nd rounder this year...and next...and Selden as an RFA for Holiday.

That being said, we packaged two second rounders to dump Jose Calderon, including last year's #47 and this years 2nd rounder, so GarPax can only get so many props there.

13 hours ago, Quin said:

Seeing the Grizz falls makes it nice to have gotten their 2nd rounder this year...and next...and Selden as an RFA for Holiday.

That being said, we packaged two second rounders to dump Jose Calderon, including last year's #47 and this years 2nd rounder, so GarPax can only get so many props there.

They have made two good moves in a row. We'll see how it goes, I have a feeling we'll wish they had bought out Ro Lo but he is certainly helping with development especially on offense.

I go to tankathon a lot. The only 48% chance of being top 5 is tough, but realistically it's top 3 or bust with this group and that's probably being a bit generous including Barrett with Zion and Morant.

But yeah, these odds are wild, and I think they had their intended effect. The bottom 3 teams aren't removing all their star players, they are just playing their bad rosters. Same with Hawks/bulls. I'm not sure people are psychologically ready for how big of a likelihood it is that the worst 3 teams are scattered about the top 7.

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am so happy with Zach Lavines progress this year.

I can admit I was very wrong about him as a player. Not nearly as useless as I once thought he'd be. 

That's an incredibly weak foul when Jimmy is grabbing Zach's arm on the replay.

Very fun game. I thought the same on Jimmys foul however Lavine was a bit out of control so I’m not surprised.

Also Arch earned his spot with this play alone as far as I'm concerned. I like him as a backup PG.

Very nice to see the momentum they have right now. I hope this can continue and put the franchise in a nice spot heading into the offseason. Than we need lottery odds to fall in our favor and who knows what happens from there on the free agency/trade front. 

Boylan also deserves credit as do Lavine and Lauri for taking big steps forward. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Very nice to see the momentum they have right now. I hope this can continue and put the franchise in a nice spot heading into the offseason. Than we need lottery odds to fall in our favor and who knows what happens from there on the free agency/trade front. 

Boylan also deserves credit as do Lavine and Lauri for taking big steps forward. 

I value your opinion on the NBA/Bulls, what do you think we need most in the draft? It seems like Porter has been great for this group and we could really use a PG like Morant but I would not pass up Zion or Barrett. But let's say all 3 are gone before us, should we go with a PG or do we need another SG/SF?

Do we trust Zion and Lauri to be our 4 and 5 defensively?

If not, I think I might really consider taking Morant....Assuming they get the #1 pick or Barrett goes 1 and we got 2.

Morant-LaVine-Porter-Lauri-Carter just looks so complete. 

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

42 minutes ago, 2nd_city_saint787 said:

Do we trust Zion and Lauri to be our 4 and 5 defensively?

If not, I think I might really consider taking Morant....Assuming they get the #1 pick or Barrett goes 1 and we got 2.

Morant-LaVine-Porter-Lauri-Carter just looks so complete. 

"Zion may not fit our current roster construction" is a very poor reason to draft someone else.

If the Bulls wound up with that pick and were insistent that they were going to take a point guard, then some other team would probably give up 3 first round picks for that #1. I probably would.

• Like 1

You don't pass up on a franchise talent for "a better fit". I don't give a damn if you trade WCJ or Markkanen or stick one of them on the bench until you sort out what you wanna do down the line. Bulls need a superstar talent to get them in the right direction.

12 hours ago, bmags said:

I am so happy with Zach Lavines progress this year.

I am surprised at how much better he's has played the last month or so. He's not forcing a lot of bad shots or settling for 3's like he was doing before. Taking the ball to the hoop, taking good shots, making better passes and evening making plays for Robin in crunch time last night showed a lot of maturity in his game.

15 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I am surprised at how much better he's has played the last month or so. He's not forcing a lot of bad shots or settling for 3's like he was doing before. Taking the ball to the hoop, taking good shots, making better passes and evening making plays for Robin in crunch time last night showed a lot of maturity in his game.

His playmaking as a primary ballhandler has improved including passing and it feels like he is getting stripped less even if he still makes some bad passes out of drives.

I think it all goes back to team structure. When you had dunn/portis/holliday/parker/blakeney etc with him you had a lot of guys that got the ball and took their shot, so Lavine got the ball and took his shot.

They've made Dunn/Lavine combo less of a priority, and him with arc, porter, lauri, lopez they have a bunch of players that look to him when he's open, work hard setting screens for him, and he pays them back.

The team core fits better now except still has no point guard and very poor bench, though I like selden/TLC but they cannot be on a line together with arc and felicio. That improves through health but also need some vets next year when we have zion.

If Zion is on the table, take him, figure out the fit later and you've got three hard working bigs as your big rotation. Sign a PG in the off-season.

Otherwise go BPA. If it's Barrett, maybe you go jumbo lineup. If it's Morant he slides in at point. After that it gets dicey. 

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

If Zion is on the table, take him, figure out the fit later and you've got three hard working bigs as your big rotation. Sign a PG in the off-season.

Otherwise go BPA. If it's Barrett, maybe you go jumbo lineup. If it's Morant he slides in at point. After that it gets dicey. 

It's actually a really nice fit with zion

(PG)

Lavine

Porter

Zion

Lauri

If you get a good pg (say you can make a jrue holliday work or something) that is well rounded on D and can shoot 3s, you have surrounded zion with 4 deep threats, PG/Porter can provide defensive stability (Zion himself will be good on D by end of year).

That lineup would be perfect for Zion, who has a blue print in milwaukee for how to make his game work even if his shot doesn't fall right away.

Man small sample but the Arcidiacano, lavine, porter, lauri, lopez lineup has an offensive rating of 124 and is plus 50(!) in only 48 minutes together.