Dunning Results...

Lip Man 1

Didn't see this posted but Scott Merkin has said Dunning's MRI shows a moderate elbow sprain that "presently" will not require surgery. He's out 6-8 weeks and then will begin a throwing routine. 

Guess it could be worse but from what I've been reading usually the ultimate result is TJ surgery.

Sigh...

Personally if the end of the road is ultimately going to result in the surgery I'd rather they do it sooner rather than later and waste precious time.

Perhaps PTAC can weigh in.

37 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I feel sorry for the guy. Damn. More pitcher injuries. I agree if he needs surgery, do it ASAP, but PTATC can fill us in. I trust him completely.

You should trust the opinion of arguably the best medical staff in MLB.  @ptatc knows his shit but last time I checked he hasn't personally evaluated Dunning's elbow and consulted with the Sox' medical team on a course of action.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I feel sorry for the guy. Damn. More pitcher injuries. I agree if he needs surgery, do it ASAP, but PTATC can fill us in. I trust him completely.

Same here. I totally read this as he's bound to have another injury in the future. Guess we'll have to wait and see how he responds to the rest? Will patiently wait for ptact's take on all this. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Didn't see this posted but Scott Merkin has said Dunning's MRI shows a moderate elbow sprain that "presently" will not require surgery. He's out 6-8 weeks and then will begin a throwing routine. 

Guess it could be worse but from what I've been reading usually the ultimate result is TJ surgery.

Sigh...

Personally if the end of the road is ultimately going to result in the surgery I'd rather they do it sooner rather than later and waste precious time.

Perhaps PTAC can weigh in.

There is a good chance it will heal and not need surgery if after the 6-8 weeks it tightens up. If it heals up enough then it will be strong enough. He could always injure it again but it won't be because of it being weaker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You should trust the opinion of arguably the best medical staff in MLB.  @ptatc knows his shit but last time I checked he hasn't personally evaluated Dunning's elbow and consulted with the Sox' medical team on a course of action.

Nope, I haven't I can only describe the most likely course of actions based upon public reports only because discussions with people in the profession would never occur because that would be a violation of HIPPA. 😁

13 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's not always best to take everything a team says at face value because they have reasons for not fully disclosing risks, outlooks, etc.

11 hours ago, ptatc said:

Nope, I haven't I can only describe the most likely course of actions based upon public reports only because discussions with people in the profession would never occur because that would be a violation of HIPPA. 😁

Obviously. I think most of us are glad you do provide insight beyond the normal "arm, leg, muscle etc. injury. I always find your contributions excellent understanding  the context you present them. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

A sprain is technically a tear or a stretch I believe, so when he recovers, something will need to change or it seems rather likely the situation will occur again. 

A sprain is a tear of a ligament. It just depends on the amount. If something needs to change is always a debate and part of the clinical decision process. When you sprain an ankle were you running wrong or did just happen to step on that rock and rolled your ankle? This is the dilemma. Do they need to change something in his ,mechanics, which is possible, or did he just do something on that one pitch or two pitches that caused the sprain but not a complete tear. They will go back and look at the pitches and evaluate it. In pitching more often than not, they will try to make an adjustment but it's not a given.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

It's not always best to take everything a team says at face value because they have reasons for not fully disclosing risks, outlooks, etc.

No doubt. Unlike football, they aren't required to say anything publically.

15 hours ago, ptatc said:

There is a good chance it will heal and not need surgery if after the 6-8 weeks it tightens up. If it heals up enough then it will be strong enough. He could always injure it again but it won't be because of it being weaker.

How does his injury compare to Adolfo's? 

Just now, maggsmaggs said:

How does his injury compare to Adolfo's? 

Probably similar. Both were not complete tears but serious enough to require rest and inactivity for healing. The normal timeframe for tissue healing to the point of about 90% ins 6-8weeks if the tissue has the optimal environment for healing. This is why you hear that timeframe so often. Since they were both given that timeframe you can assume the injuries were fairly similar. 

As someone pointed out earlier, I haven't evaluated either so this is just reading between the lines of the reports both cases and using my experince of cases I've worked with.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ptatc said:

Probably similar. Both were not complete tears but serious enough to require rest and inactivity for healing. The normal timeframe for tissue healing to the point of about 90% ins 6-8weeks if the tissue has the optimal environment for healing. This is why you hear that timeframe so often. Since they were both given that timeframe you can assume the injuries were fairly similar. 

As someone pointed out earlier, I haven't evaluated either so this is just reading between the lines of the reports both cases and using my experince of cases I've worked with.

Oh I know, but you just reading public information and analyzing is extremely informative. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jake said:

Sure, but in this case, again, I'm trying to use induction to the best of my ability given many variables and imperfect information -- that the Sox have zero reason to lie about this.  Like, are they telling Dunning -- "hey, bruh, this is a PR move, you're really having surgery in August, don't worry about the lost time we'll make it up down the road".

I find that highly implausible.  What I do find plausible is that given what ptatc has said and given the Sox' public statements that this is the best course of action as determined by their medical team and that they have honestly relayed that info to the fans.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

25 minutes ago, Richie said:

Not really. Rarely would a sprain lead to Tommy John. It just needs healing time - no different any other sprain.

Sprains have varying degrees.  A first degree or mild sprain will rarely need surgery. A second degree or moderate sprain will sometimes need surgery based on the healing after 6-8 weeks. A third degree or severe sprain will almost always require surgery as there isn't enough of the ligament connected to heal properly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Sprains have varying degrees.  A first degree or mild sprain will rarely need surgery. A second degree or moderate sprain will sometimes need surgery based on the healing after 6-8 weeks. A third degree or severe sprain will almost always require surgery as there isn't enough of the ligament connected to heal properly.

I am a trainer myself and my sister is an orthopedic surgeon. I am familiar with the varying degrees of sprains. 

I am saying that this diagnosis makes it obvious that he does not have any tearing or a rupture. Anything less than a third degree sprain is simply a "stretched" ligament with full function intact. 

Seeing that Dunning has received the 6-8 week diagnosis... With this being his first UCL injury -- it would be a complete shock if he wound up needing surgery. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richie said:

I am a trainer myself and my sister is an orthopedic surgeon. I am familiar with the varying degrees of sprains. 

I am saying that this diagnosis makes it obvious that he does not have any tearing or a rupture. Anything less than a third degree sprain is simply a "stretched" ligament with full function intact. 

Seeing that Dunning has received the 6-8 week diagnosis... With this being his first UCL injury -- it would be a complete shock if he wound up needing surgery. 

This is true to an extent but the second degree will have tears as well. That is what heals.  Are you athletic trainer in Michigan? Better than in Illinois with our practice act.