White Sox vs. Yankees Game Thread 8.7.18

Greg Hibbard

Hate that the Yankees have home crowd in our ballpark. I don't get too wound up about attendance, but I really hate the visiting team getting greeted with raucous applause when they hit a go-ahead bomb in extra innings.

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yoan has obvious holes that he apparently is doing nothing to try and fix. Until that happens, you're going to continue to see way too many strikeouts and a subpar hit tool.

As for this, are we really sure that Moncada isn't working on anything? We've seen him doing what looks to me like cut down on his two strike swings to make some contact and we've also heard him tell reporters that he understands he needs to quit leaving so many close 2-strike pitches in the hands of the umpire.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Hate that the Yankees have home crowd in our ballpark. I don't get too wound up about attendance, but I really hate the visiting team getting greeted with raucous applause when they hit a go-ahead bomb in extra innings.

As for this, are we really sure that Moncada isn't working on anything? We've seen him doing what looks to me like cut down on his two strike swings to make some contact and we've also heard him tell reporters that he understands he needs to quit leaving so many close 2-strike pitches in the hands of the umpire.

He said he would work on it and supposedly couldn't pull the trigger like they wanted him to.  Earlier in the year, he said he was going to not change a thing in regards to preventing strike outs. 

Just now, Jake said:

Perhaps the Sox should give the home crowd something to cheer about.

55 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

tom tango is an emotional teenager?  thanks, this might be my best ever comment here, in my own head at least.

I haven't read the prior back and forth on this, but in a 1-run/tie game run expectancy as stated here is not an appropriate framework for deciding whether to bunt. There are a number of situations in which you don't care about the long-run expected number of runs, but instead the probability of scoring one run. That is, you may consciously want to trade away some of your chance at scoring 2+ runs in exchange for a greater chance at scoring just 1, because it may be all you need.

I am certain someone else must have already run these numbers this way and maybe they still don't look kindly on bunting. Either way, it's important to consider the game situation and the extent to which you should be caring more about your chances of scoring a bunch of runs or scoring a small number of runs.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

He said he would work on it and supposedly couldn't pull the trigger like they wanted him to.  Earlier in the year, he said he was going to not change a thing in regards to preventing strike outs. 

So he is working on it, it sounds like?

2 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Sign that Jose  Abreu to a long term contract 

Is Jose honestly a player you trust in a crucial situation? All biases aside, the dude just has never been great with the pressure on. I don't want an aging abreu playing for us during the playoffs.