Your Offseason Plan

ChiSox59

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

A little bored at work today, so decided to start a fun thread on offseason moves.  The idea isn't necessarily to predict what you think would happen, but what you would try do if you were in Rick Hahn's spot.  I decided to have a little fun with mine, so its definitely far-fetched.  But I think this is a team that could be super interested, adds guys to the next core without compromising the future, and stays within a payroll range that the Sox have operated at before the rebuild.  

My offseason moves:

Sign Machado - 8 years @ $290M

Sign AJ Pollock - 3 years @ $68M

Sign Hyun-Jin Ryu - 2 years @ $19M

Sign Daniel Hudson - 2 years @ $11M

Trade Avi Garcia, Blake Rutherford and Jimmy Lambert for Jon Gray and Colton Welker

Trade Kevan Smith or add him to DFA list below if needed

DFA: LaMarre, Tilson, Scahill, Gomez and Farquahar

Let FA to be Shields, Gonzalez, Santiago walk

Roster as of May 1st (estimated 2019 salary):

1B: Abreu ($18M)

2B: Moncada ($570k)

SS: Anderson ($1.4M)

3B: Machado ($37M)

LF: Leury Garcia ($2M)

CF: Pollock ($23M)

RF: Eloy ($560k)

DH: Palka ($560k) / Davidson ($1M) platoon

Catcher: Castillo ($7.25M) / Narvaez ($570k) platoon

BN: Davidson, Narvaez, Yolmer ($3.5M) and Engel ($560k)

Rotation: Rodon ($3.5M), Lopez ($570k), Giolito ($570k), Ryu ($10M) and Gray ($2.5M)

Bullpen: Jones ($1.25M), Hamilton ($560k), Hudson ($5.5M), Fry ($560k), Frare ($560k), Ruiz  ($560k) and Burdi ($560k)

Total payroll: ~ $122.75M

Finally, someone who gets that Jones' option for 2019 isn't for $4.5 million. You're already a step above the Sox beat writers and most bloggers 

-edit: it's actually less than the listed 1.25 too, it's for the league minimum which is about 540k

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

• Sign Manny Machado for 10 years and $300 million, with opt outs after year 4 and year 7.
  • Sign Andrew McCutchen for 2 years and $30 million.
  • Sign Trevor Cahill for 2 years and $20 million.
  • Sign Jeurys Familia sign for 2 years and $15 million.
  • Sign Kelvin Herrera for 2 years and $15 million.
  • Sign James Shields for 1 year and $2 million.

The starting pitching would still be terrible.  The bullpen thin.  That's why signing these FAs doesn't excite me - these aren't contending teams that people are coming up with.

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

Nick Castellanos is guy that hasn't been talked about a whole lot but would look in great in the Sox outfield. He isn't a free agent until after next season but he'll only be 28 on Opening Day 2020 and can flat out hit. Stealing him from the Tigers would be a plus as well.

I, too, like Castellanos.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The starting pitching would still be terrible.  The bullpen thin.  That's why signing these FAs doesn't excite me - these aren't contending teams that people are coming up with.

I don't see the point in spending big money on a starting pitcher right now. Rodon, Lopez, and Giolito should all get more time to prove themselves. Cease will be up later in the season and Kopech will be back in 2020. That's why I suggested Cahill and Shields. Low risk, short term guys that will just keep the seat warm for now. If we get to the point in a couple years where there is a glaring hole in the rotation, then I'm all for signing an elite starter. But not now.

Off the top of my head:

Non tender Avi, Farquhar

Sign Michael Brantley 3 yr 48MM

Sign Dallas Keuchel 4 yr 84MM

Sign Trevor Cahill, 2 yr 18MM

Trade Nate Jones for, I dunno, Jake Lamb

Trade Blake Rutherford, Dane Dunning and Leury for Odubal Herrera

CF Herrera, RF Brantley, LF Bessss, 1B Abreu, 2B Moncada, SS Anderson, 3B Lamb, C Narvaez, DH Palka/Davidson / Bench Yolmer, Wellington, Engel, Rondon

SP Rodon, Keuchel, Lopez, Cahill, Giolito / RP Hamilton, Burr, Fry, Covey, Minaya, Bummer, 7th spot to whoever pitches best in ST

~90 to 100MM payroll, I think.

I dunno, this team isn't going to be good.

4 minutes ago, daggins said:

Off the top of my head:

Non tender Avi, Farquhar

Sign Michael Brantley 3 yr 48MM

Sign Dallas Keuchel 4 yr 84MM

Sign Trevor Cahill, 2 yr 18MM

Trade Nate Jones for, I dunno, Jake Lamb

Trade Blake Rutherford, Dane Dunning and Leury for Odubal Herrera

CF Herrera, RF Brantley, LF Bessss, 1B Abreu, 2B Moncada, SS Anderson, 3B Lamb, C Narvaez, DH Palka/Davidson / Bench Yolmer, Wellington, Engel, Rondon

SP Rodon, Keuchel, Lopez, Cahill, Giolito / RP Hamilton, Burr, Fry, Covey, Minaya, Bummer, 7th spot to whoever pitches best in ST

~90 to 100MM payroll, I think.

I dunno, this team isn't going to be good.

Lol i love this.

those are my moves I most agree with, though I don’t really feel like trading for Herrera.

one, I think Sox are at point their rotation needs to be a competition. Not this “oh hey it’s fine you are the worst pitcher in league” for another season. Make me feel the footsteps (which is now only Cease).

21 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I do like the idea of Jon Gray if the price is reasonable. His peripherals have actually been pretty good and he's still under team control for awhile. I don't know who the Sox should give up for him though. 

He's got 3 years of arbitration eligibility remaining and even though he wasn't that good this year, he was still an above-replacement type pitcher who threw a lot of innings. We'd have to give up something at least useful for him. I certainly wouldn't want to lose an actual prospect for him, but you could talk me into creative ideas like something involving Yolmer or something involving Narvaez? I think Narvaez could be actually interesting for them, they have some young catchers but their backstop position was incredibly weak this year.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He's got 3 years of arbitration eligibility remaining and even though he wasn't that good this year, he was still an above-replacement type pitcher who threw a lot of innings. We'd have to give up something at least useful for him. I certainly wouldn't want to lose an actual prospect for him, but you could talk me into creative ideas like something involving Yolmer or something involving Narvaez? I think Narvaez could be actually interesting for them, they have some young catchers but their backstop position was incredibly weak this year.

I wouldn't want to trade Rutherford for Gray either. I wouldn't want to trade a real prospect for either Jon or Sonny Gray. 

This may be unpopular, but I'd do Rodon and either Gonzalez, Rutherford or Adolfo for Nick Senzel. I don't know if the Reds would though. I don't think Rodon alone is enough to grab Senzel. I think it might take Rodon and Rutherford, and I am 100% ok with that deal. Senzel is blocked by both Suarez and Gennett. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Here’s my “realistic” off-season plan at the moment and yes I know it includes Manny Machado.

Free Agents:

• Manny Machado, 3B - 10/$375M (opt-outs after years 4, 5, & 6)
  • Drew Pomeranz, LHP - 1/$9M
  • Cody Allen, RHP - 1/$11M

Trades:

• Omar Narvaez, C & Luery Garcia, UT to Rockies for Jon Gray, RHP

Roster (May 1st):

• 1B: Abreu
  • 2B: Rondon
  • SS: Anderson
  • 3B: Machado
  • LF: Jimenez
  • CF: Moncada
  • RF: A. Garcia
  • DH: Palka
  • CA: Castillo
  •  
  • IF: Sanchez
  • OF: Engel
  • UT: Delmonico
  • BC: Smith
  •  
  • #1: Gray
  • #2: Rodon
  • #3: Lopez
  • #4: Pomeranz
  • #5: Giolito
  •  
  • CL: Allen
  • SU: Hamilton
  • SU: Fry
  • MR: Jones
  • MR: Frare
  • MR: Burdi
  • LR: Stephens

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wouldn't want to trade Rutherford for Gray either. 

This may be unpopular, but I'd do Rodon and either Gonzalez, Rutherford or Adolfo for Nick Senzel. I don't know if the Reds would though. I don't think Rodon alone is enough to grab Senzel. I think it might take Rodon and Rutherford, and I am 100% ok with that deal. Senzel is blocked by both Suarez and Gennett. 

When you say "either Gonzalez, Rutherford, or Adolfo" are you saying 1 of the 3 or 2 of the 3? I would probably do Rodon + 1 of those for him also, but not 2. However, I'm not sure that fits the Reds needs though...unless they could unlock Rodon in a way we can't and turn him into an ace instead of a middling middle of the order Middle pitcher, doesn't acquiring him create the same problem of a pitcher in arbitration who might hit FA at exactly the time they're improving?

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

When you say "either Gonzalez, Rutherford, or Adolfo" are you saying 1 of the 3 or 2 of the 3? I would probably do Rodon + 1 of those for him also, but not 2. However, I'm not sure that fits the Reds needs though...unless they could unlock Rodon in a way we can't and turn him into an ace instead of a middling middle of the order Middle pitcher, doesn't acquiring him create the same problem of a pitcher in arbitration who might hit FA at exactly the time they're improving?

One of the three. It does, but Senzel a) just missed an entire season and b) is blocked by Suarez and Gennett.  If they can unlock Rodon, I think they would be more willing to sign him long-term at Boras' price than the Sox would. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wouldn't want to trade Rutherford for Gray either. I wouldn't want to trade a real prospect for either Jon or Sonny Gray. 

Fun post.  I could see the Sox trading a good prospect or two for some other team’s good prospect.  Denzel is an interesting target

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I've also seen people on Twitter in favor of the idea of signing Harper and then trading for Eugenio Suarez to fill the hole at 3rd base. That would be interesting.

Suarez is signed on a  Rizzo/Sale sweetheart deal. The ink is barely dry. He's going nowhere. They might be more willing to trade Gennett than Senzel, but idk. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Senzel is an outfielder now?  Is that logjam related or shitty defense related?

If he's an OF, it is logjam related. He's a plus defender at 3B. They were going to play him at 2B until he got injured toward the end of ST and Gennett had a huge year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, ChiSox1917 said:

why would we trade blake rutherford for Jon Gray?  Jon Gray is a #5 pitcher at best

I’d trade Rutherford for Jon Gray in a heartbeat.  For better or worse, he’d probably be our ace next year and has huge upside.  Great buy low candidate if the Rockies are looking to sell him.

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I literally just saw this, but included a Narvaez for Gray trade in my plan.  I threw in Luery as the Rockies could probably use a guy like him who provides some depth at 2B & the OF.  Would be really nice to sell high on a guy and I just don’t believe Narvaez will put up a wRC+ of 122 again.  I’m also a huge fan of Gray and you’d only be losing one year of team control.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I literally just saw this, but included a Narvaez for Gray trade in my plan.  I threw in Luery as the Rockies could probably use a guy like him who provides some depth at 2B & the OF.  Would be really nice to sell high on a guy and I just don’t believe Narvaez will put up a wRC+ of 122 again.  I’m also a huge fan of Gray and you’d only be losing one year of team control.

Narvaez might put up big numbers for a C playing 81 games in Coors. Not in HR, but in 2B, Avg and RBI. It is really reasonable if you ask me. He's not good for a young pitching staff. If the Rockies are amenable, I might expand to include Hoffman and Tapia coming back to the Sox along with Gray. Think something like Leury or Sanchez and another player with upside on the 40 man that the Sox are going to have a hard time keeping around. Maybe someone like Vieira or Fulmer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, daggins said:

What on earth is going on here? The Rockies aren't trading Jon Gray for our junk drawer, and they certainly aren't shipping back prospects to boot. Why even do this exercise if you aren't going to bother with being realistic?

Hoffman is out of options and is a reclamation project, and Tapia is struggling to get playing time there, and is sort of a reclamation project as well, as he'll be 25 on OD 2019 and hasn't established himself as a big leaguer. . (he only played 25 games in Colorado this year) Narvaez is actually good offensively(or had a good year), and the Rockies need a catcher. Both Hoffman and Tapia are distressed assets so to speak.  I wouldn't include Tapia, except that Adam Engel is still hanging around here. 

If the Rockies aren't going to trade Gray for that, then they aren't a fit. I would not under any circumstances trade a real prospect other than a borderline one for Jon Gray. He could be really good or really bad out of Coors. 

Edited by Jack Parkman