Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

Just now, Baron said:

It does. But I personally would not be a fan of signing Grandal and Brantley. Then giving the "we tried" speech on the bigger free agents. 

Thing is, Grandal and Brantley is probably going to help win you more games than Harper and Omar would have.

Just now, Tony said:

Drafting being "subpar" for the White Sox is no longer opinion. It's factually correct. 

I would agree prior to the last 2 drafts. The last 2 have shown a lot of promise throughout the minors.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Thing is, Grandal and Brantley is probably going to help win you more games than Harper and Omar would have.

In the short term it may. However, I think Harper will have a greater impact on the lineup if the prospects show up and turn into above average players.

Just now, Tony said:

Give the LONG track record previously established by the White Sox, quite frankly they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt until those guys prove it at the ML level. 

This is where I am at. I really don't care about minor league performance because I've seen enough great minor league seasons produce nothing in the major leagues.

Just now, Tony said:

Given the LONG track record previously established by the White Sox, quite frankly they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt until those guys prove it at the ML level. 

No one deserves the benefit of the doubt until they prove it in the MLB.  Ut these last drafts have produced better performances in the minors than any in recent memory. Just going by results.

Just now, Tony said:

Ryan Sweeney-Brian Anderson-Jeremy Reed was penciled in as the White Sox OF for at least a decade. It wasn't even a doubt for most people. 

We've done this far too many times with drafting and the minor leagues. And I'm excited we have some new people running the show, the results seemingly have been promising. I'm hopeful. But I won't truly believe it until I see it. 

With Josh Fields at 3B.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

This is where I am at. I really don't care about minor league performance because I've seen enough great minor league seasons produce nothing in the major leagues.

I guess they should abandoned the plan and sign all the free agents then. If you expecting the prospects to fail, you better sign MLB players now.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I guess they should abandoned the plan and sign all the free agents then. If you expecting the prospects to fail, you better sign MLB players now.

There's nothing wrong with the "plan." But I still do not believe the Sox have done enough in terms of scouting and player development to truly effectuate the plan. That's my gripe. Hahn was right to tear it down and build through prospects. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Ryan Sweeney-Brian Anderson-Jeremy Reed was penciled in as the White Sox OF for at least a decade. It wasn't even a doubt for most people. 

We've done this far too many times with drafting and the minor leagues. And I'm excited we have some new people running the show, the results seemingly have been promising. I'm hopeful. But I won't truly believe it until I see it. 

Then you should be pushing for them to sign all of these free agents because you are counting on no help from the minors. They will need to compete at some point so they better sign free agents now, Grandal, brantley, Lynn and the others welcome aboard!

Just now, maggsmaggs said:

There's nothing wrong with the "plan." But I still do not believe the Sox have done enough in terms of scouting and player development to truly effectuate the plan. That's my gripe. Hahn was right to tear it down and build through prospects. 

You can't agree with the plan if your premise is that the Sox won't draft and develop good players. You are assuming no internal help.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Then you should be pushing for them to sign all of these free agents because you are counting on no help from the minors. They will need to compete at some point so they better sign free agents now, Grandal, brantley, Lynn and the others welcome aboard!

They have actually been linked to all 3 of those guys.

Just now, Tony said:

Not sure why you're jumping onto the "Lets just be petty for the hell of it" train, but whatever you want to do, go for it. 

I'm not being petty. You can't say that the Sox won't develop prospects and at the same time say they can build from within. You need to either think that they will develop at least a couple of good players or go out and acquire talent someone else devloped.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

That's not a premise. Again, it's been fact for well over a decade. 

I'm not sure why you're so bent out of shape for people making that clain. Shame on fans for not giving the Sox front office the benefit of the doubt over something they've shown repeatedly they aren't any good at...

I have no problem with they fact they have drafted poorly because it is a fact. The problem I have is that you need to look forward on how to build the current team. So tell me how you want to do it. If you're convinced that to current results in the minors mean nothing how are you going to build the team?

• bmags locked this topic