Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

5 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Honestly, at this current moment in time, the argument of who's better is irrelevant because Manny is no longer available.  Since we missed on Manny, we're in a much different position as a franchise--a position that NEEDS Harper more than ever.  We're now in a position of missing out on a star in a once in a lifetime market sans all the powerhouse teams.   If we DON'T get Harper, we could be facing a situation where the only shot we have at a superstar is developing one.  I don't like our chances...our player development is low and we won't have any fans coming to games to generate revenue.  

I agree. The comparison between the two, and how they fit the organization, is no longer relevant. This is also about damage control. If we think that we needed to acquire one of these players, before this fiasco, we really do now. All of those intangibles, which we discussed ad nauseam, are now magnified by the fan "revolt," as evidenced by this forum and social media.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No. Absolutely not. I'd give him 310, that's my max. I think Manny is the better player and would have given him more. Sox valued machado at 250. 

Harper has had more mediocre seasons than good/great ones. I think he'll be fine but with his defense dwindling and an injury history youd be nuts to give him 350 for just his baseball skills imo.

And here I thought that a .900 OPS was demonstrating fairly elite baseball skills.  I guess I was wrong, upon checking, that is only good for 64th all time.  So there are like 63 better offensive players in the history of the game (an oversimplification, but you get it).

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The White Sox are OUT on Brycr Harper. They are not even submitting a bid. They are high on their outfield depth and feel it's a risk not worth taking... and as sad as it is to say, I agree. Harper doesn't fit. Manny did.

Harper fits for marketing and on the team. Our outfield could be Harper, Robert, and Eloy, with Basabe , Micker, and Rutherford as the 4th/5th guys. Everyone not making the roster can be traded for other positional upgrades. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No. Absolutely not. I'd give him 310, that's my max. I think Manny is the better player and would have given him more. Sox valued machado at 250. 

Harper has had more mediocre seasons than good/great ones. I think he'll be fine but with his defense dwindling and an injury history youd be nuts to give him 350 for just his baseball skills imo.

In addition to the previously discussed intangible benefits of acquiring Harper, perhaps we should include the face saving and redeeming factors, for the terribly inept way that the Machado negotiations, and follow up spin, were handled. That might justify the $40 million premium, over your personal evaluation of his worth.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

Harper could be worth more than Machado for other reasons besides performance on the field.  TV ratings, salvaging the PR disaster, and other marketing has value.  They should have gotten Machado.  They didn't.  Learn from mistake and pay Harper.

I've thought from the beginning of this nightmare of an off season that Harper is the bigger name and would do more for the team in regards to recognition.  He's also the better power hitter, and with the short porch in right field, he would hit a ton of home runs.  Machado as a player was a better fit.  He'd fill a position of need, and I think he's a better hitter overall.  Signing Harper only creates a good problem with having a lot of outfield depth.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

In addition to the previously discussed intangible benefits of acquiring Harper, perhaps we should include the face saving and redeeming factors, for the terribly inept way that the Machado negotiations, and follow up spin, were handled. That might justify the $40 million premium, over your personal evaluation of his worth.

Well said.

14 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yeah I mean, we're still fielding a team with the likes of Adam Engel, Daniel Palka, Yolmer Sanchez, Yonder Alonso, Nicky Delmonico, James McCann, Leury Garcia, Jose Rondon...the small uptick in Machado's baseball numbers over Harper's might not really translate to more wins...

BUT a Bryce Harper signing would possibly convince more people to actually come watch a team who fields players like Adam Engel, Daniel Palka, Yolmer Sanchez, Yonder Alonso, Nicky Delmonico, James McCann, Leury Garcia, Jose Rondon...

Maybe with that money we could go out and buy A pitcher.  

Edited by FT35
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

With the Nats "moving on" from Harper.  I hate to say it, but I think he's going to end up in San Diego.   

If the Padres sign Harper, I look forward to them tearing it all down in a couple years when they realize they have no money left to supplement the rest of their roster. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

If the Padres sign Harper, I look forward to them tearing it all down in a couple years when they realize they have no money left to supplement the rest of their roster. 

Depends on how well their farm system pans out.   If they do fairly well then they won't need to go out and get other players, but if it doesn't they'll be in a big mess.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I don't think it would end well for them.  For me, it's hard to see him go anywhere but Philadelphia unless he takes a shorter deal.

Just now, Peacock Wrestler said:

Depends on how well their farm system pans out.   If they do fairly well then they won't need to go out and get other players, but if it doesn't they'll be in a big mess.  

They better hope they hit on all those SP prospects (they do have a lot of them) because they have basically nothing at the major league level as far as pitching goes. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

then they can just trade them.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They better hope they hit on all those SP prospects (they do have a lot of them) because they have basically nothing at the major league level as far as pitching goes. 

padres zips for starting rotation - 7.4

white sox zips for starting rotation - 5.4

1 minute ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

Assuming they still perform at a high level and don't get injured.  Otherwise not a team in the world would take on those contracts.  

31 year olds with a 5 for 150 deal left in 5 years...won't be hard to shed. 

Big contracts suck when they have a decently valuable asset and you need to get a return back to jump start a rebuild

if your only purpose is to shed money, you can shed money. Your scenario they just need to shed money.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They probably planned to go after the FA SP next offseason but we can probably count that out after this debacle. 

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

don't think they'd have to do much supplementing