Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

25 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I think people should take the Dodgers more seriously. They have the most money of any team, they have the most creative front office, they have money to move associated to players that are good (Hi Cubs!) and they are conceivably Harper's preferred location. Plus they came up short of the trophy just barely to years in a row. They have all the depth a playoff team could need, now it's time for them to shed some of it and make way for another premium talent.  Perhaps the hold up is they want to rid themselves of Matt Kemp and another productive player as opposed to 2-3 productive players and keeping Kemp on a team where he doesn't fit. 

I actually don’t get it from the Dodgers perspective unless they get him for a steal.  Teams like us are willing to pay a premium because of his intangibles and the potential revenue that come with.  The Dodgers won’t reap those same benefits and on a standalone baseball move, $350M for Harper is somewhat ridiculous.  Plus Friedman values depth / flexibility and has never signed a free agent to a $100M contract despite having the financial means with the Dodgers.  I truly believe Bryce would love to go to LA, but I don’t see them coming close to what a team like the White Sox would offer.  Just my option though.

I don’t think Harper to the Dodgers or Cubs is realistic until either of those teams move some dead contract weight. They are both players in his market, but they have a lot of dominos to knock over before being able to offer Harper the deal he’s looking for. Has there even been any solid rumors attached to either of these teams attempting to lower payroll? I know we’ve seen some random rumors, but I can’t recall any big media guys running stories about them.

3 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

If Hahn calls the Dodgers up and says we’ll take Kemp and Wood off your hands so you can sign Harper, but Verdugo and Ruiz have to be included do the Dodgers make that deal?

Nah Dodgers wouldn’t give up that much. Wood should have actual value.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah and I would even think a team that misses on Nelson Cruz (Rays? Twins? Astros?) would be an option for Kemp for one year. Pure salary dump but still.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a trade where the Sox got Kemp, Wood, and Verdugo, but they would have to send back a real prospect in return. Dunning maybe?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

But would they consider those guys for Rodon and minor league filler? I'd rather make a trade like that than sign Harper personally. I know that won't be a popular opinion but I'm not sold on Rodon staying healthy, he doesn't fit the contention window and Ruiz + Verdugo would be perfect fits for the Sox.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But would they consider those guys for Rodon and minor league filler? I'd rather make a trade like that than sign Harper personally. I know that won't be a popular opinion but I'm not sold on Rodon staying healthy, he doesn't fit the contention window and Ruiz + Verdugo would be perfect fits for the Sox.

I would love it also and agree with everything you say.  Doubt Dodgers do that  unfortunately.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If the Sox take all of Kemp and Wood’s contract do they really have to send the Dodgers something substantial back?

Just now, fathom said:

I would love it also and agree with everything you say.  Doubt Dodgers do that  unfortunately.

Unlikely with Friedman but it would make sense for both sides if Harper is destined for LA. They might give up one of Ruiz or Verdugo in that type of deal but probably not both.

11 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

If Hahn calls the Dodgers up and says we’ll take Kemp and Wood off your hands so you can sign Harper, but Verdugo and Ruiz have to be included do the Dodgers make that deal?

As long as it doesn't take you out of Machado. Absolutely. If you aren't going to get Harper, you may as well get some prospects.

13 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If Harper doesnt want the Sox/Phillies, then absolutely the Dodgers hold the cards. And Im not saying Boras has played himself into a corner, Im saying that it is possible Harper will play Boras into a corner. If Harper wont sign with the Phillies for any amount of money, its problematic for Boras.

I think the Dodgers FO has probably told Boras to come to them when he's ready. 

Just now, DH in the NL said:

If the Sox take all of Kemp and Wood’s contract do they really have to send the Dodgers something substantial back?

Wood isn't a salary dump. He's a good pitcher that will be on an affordable arb salary. He'd also be a good flip candidate in July for a team like the Sox. Verdugo and Ruiz are both top 50 prospects. Those two have a lot of value. I think it'd be a pretty fair trade for both sides considering the other factors at play but not the type of trade Friedman typically makes so it's pie in the sky stuff for sure.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

As long as it doesn't take you out of Machado. Absolutely. If you aren't going to get Harper, you may as well get some prospects.

Right. For the Sox it makes sense. But I don't think it does for the Dodgers. At least not without getting something back. Wood isn't some albatross contract and has value. Kemp even had a good year with the bat but is only a DH now. I honestly think they will move him sometime after Cruz signs.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Wood isn't a salary dump. He's a good pitcher that will be on an affordable arb salary. He'd also be a good flip candidate in July for a team like the Sox. Verdugo and Ruiz are both top 50 prospects. Those two have a lot of value. I think it'd be a pretty fair trade for both sides considering the other factors at play but not the type of trade Friedman typically makes so it's pie in the sky stuff for sure.

If the Sox made that trade, they are sending at least a high profile prospect or two the other way as well. Would have to be a 3 team deal or something where Dodgers clear payroll and get a front line pitcher and maybe Sox take payroll and get some of the prospects.  I'd say 3 team with Kluber but I don't think the Indians would want the Sox as partners in that deal.  

Maybe with the Diamondbacks in a deal involving Greinke? 

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Right. For the Sox it makes sense. But I don't think it does for the Dodgers. At least not without getting something back. Wood isn't some albatross contract and has value, Kemp had a good year with the bat but is only a DH now.

Right, which is why I added Rodon. Mid-rotation lefty starter that is under control at an affordable rate for the next 3 years.

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

If the Sox made that trade, they are sending at least a high profile prospect or two the other way as well. Would have to be a 3 team deal or something where Dodgers clear payroll and get a front line pitcher and maybe Sox take payroll and get some of the prospects.  I'd say 3 team with Kluber but I don't think the Indians would want the Sox as partners in that deal.  

Abreu to Dodgers?

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

You think so? In my mind I was thinking, Rodon = Verdugo and Wood; minor league filler taking on Kemp's salary = Ruiz. I may be overvaluing Rodon though.

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic