Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

the pufferfish is fake twitter rumors about Sox signing machado and the dolphins are us in this thread

Ah, the old puff-puff-pufferfish and pass.

Edit: Awesome quote from the article: "At one point the dolphins are seen floating just underneath the water's surface, apparently mesmerised by their own reflections."   Who hasn't been there before haha

Edited by GenericUserName
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yes...have a very bad feeling that the Sox blew this negotiation

Just remember that quote from the Passan article with two execs close to the negotiations. The expectation was that the team that would get machado would be at a discount but not a wholesale discount.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben Waffleson said:

Here comes the daily freak-out.

I was on here 3 days ago saying Padres are a big threat, and this was before the 2nd meeting was announced.  IMO, the Sox felt like they were only negotiating against the Phillies and never anticipated the Padres being a threat.

That guy also had this from a few days ago, so he isn't really changing his story that the Padres are in the lead.

Looks like he was also the guy that started that rumor about the Dodgers being investigated similarly to the Braves which MLB has come out saying isn't true.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

A thing of note.....I think the only players left are white sox phils and maybe pads.......there is no team that has ever thought they needed to block the Sox from getting both.  Only teams impacted are AL Central and Cubs who are all neutered.

We believe Phils are in because of crazy money talk.....owner/McPhail isn't saying that now and is walking back from it.

No team will jump in to block Sox there is no Red Sox v yanks......Dodgers v Giants......Cubs v cards thing here.  There may have been some NL east noise but I think if Phils were in crazy money mode they would have signed one.

Padres getting one and Sox left out is a massive blow to give them Tatis and not make good one getting us a whale to offset.

I think getting both is crazy talk but I think they get one.

I completely agree with everything you are saying. 

Let me recap everything that happened in the last 24 hours:

1. Yesterday Chris Russell on 106.7 the Fan said that his source said Harper has made his decision. Announcement in the next 24 hours. Then later his source backed off the 24 hours to next few days, but Harper's decision hasn't changed. Now Chris Russell guessed it was probably the giants. But it was just a guess. This is all over at the Harper thread.

2. Still had the random tweets say sox have signed both whales. And then one of the tweets from @ThisOnesForTom saying the same thing but also saying its done!  This guy has broken Patriots news before.  So there's possibly some legs to this.

3. At the same time the Patriots fan is tweeting, the Phillies are holding their own presser. That really disappointed a lot of their fans and sports writers. Almost preparing everyone that they may not bring home a whale.

4. Then we had our very own teorey23 chime in "boy oh boy we're all in for a treat" followed by a picture of Harper/Machado. This guy claims to know what's going on. Idk? But Mbs1969 ( another person who seems to know whats going on ) came on 2 nights ago and said no to 2 whales just one - Machado. But shack was arguing that that could have changed.

5. Wsd then joined our sox talk last night and told us that no random tweeter is going to break this story. But the teen with the joc scoop was right just the trade fell apart at the end. He's just assuming the Sox are out on Harper but he doesn't know. He does know about Machado. And feels good about the Sox's chances. SD is a wild card. Yankees are nothing to be worried about.

6. And then we finish the day with a Hector Gomez tweet. The sox are Manny's preferred team. 

I do agree with wsd in that some radom guy isn't going to break this story. Whether the patriot guy is random or not Idk? I do know this. The front office planned very thoroughly for this offseason. Probably knew that it was going to be a depressed market. Saw that possibility last off season. But still didn't know about the Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies, even the Giants or Padres. 

Did the Sox approach this off season trying to land both superstars? No, not at all. They checked in on both hoping to get one. But.....clearly things have changed. It's a 2 maybe 3 horse race for 2 whales. I think they ARE trying to land both whales now though. Maybe under the circumstances that shack wrote about. But I think They're trying.  Will they convert? It's possible. Feel very good about one though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Looks like he was also the guy that started that rumor about the Dodgers being investigated similarly to the Braves which MLB has come out saying isn't true.

Another twitter Blogger for people to melt down over. A blogger in New York knows contract details that the big name reporters don’t. Don’t buy it. If anything if it was true Machado’s agent would leak it out to a national guy to make the Sox or Phillies pay more. 

So it appears to be known MAchado's preffered place in Chicago and really doesn't want to go west. Now this guy is saying the PAdres are willing to go where MAnny wants in years but doesn't mention money. Doesn't this just scream an agent leak to get the Sox to go from 8/240-260 up to 9/270-290?

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres