southsider2k5

'''NFL Thread '2019-'2020 THIS IS ''''THE BEARS' YEAR!

20 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It doesn't matter when you draft a guy fucking THIRD overall. You cant say oh he was a 3+ year project as a QB drafted 3rd overall.  That excuse is hilarious and nonsensical. He wasn't some 5th round pick with tools.

The expectations for him when drafted, and frankly now, was/is to be ready to win.

The multiple system excuse was my favorite Cutler excuse and now I guess we use it on mitch too!

This whole thing was doomed to fail. Trubisky was a project. He was drafted 2nd overall. Both are facts. Because of (1), (2) should have never happened. Pace has done a wonderful job with the rest of the team, but he missed with the QB. Badly. He's Jerry Angelo. Don't let him stick around as long as Jerry did. He shouldn't get that many chances. If this team wins fewer than 9 games Pace should be fired. It is inexcusable to waste this defense on Mitch. It's a fireable offense, really. They owe it to Mack to trade him after this season. He's never winning anything here if Mitch continues to suck. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It doesn't matter when you draft a guy fucking THIRD overall. You cant say oh he was a 3+ year project as a QB drafted 3rd overall.  That excuse is hilarious and nonsensical. He wasn't some 5th round pick with tools.

The expectations for him when drafted, and frankly now, was/is to be ready to win.

The multiple system excuse was my favorite Cutler excuse and now I guess we use it on mitch too!

This is some of the dumbest logic I have ever heard.  Him being drafted 2nd overall (not 3rd) has nothing to do with the readiness of his talent, it was about getting us a long-term answer at QB.  If your expectation was a guy ready to win right out of the gate, then rip Pace for making a bad pick.  I don’t know what to tell you, but Mitch was always going need time to develop.  Wasting a year with Fox and no WRs was stupid as fuck.  Last year in many ways was his first legit season because of that and he showed some promise at times.  He no doubt needs to make major strides this year, but I’m certainly jumping to conclusions over one rusty start where the entire offense looked like shit.  If you want to assume he can’t get better because he was the 2nd overall pick two years ago by all means believe that but I’m going to call you out for what I believe to be dumb logic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is some of the dumbest logic I have ever heard.  Him being drafted 2nd overall (not 3rd) has nothing to do with the readiness of his talent, it was about getting us a long-term answer at QB.  If your expectation was a guy ready to win right out of the gate, then rip Pace for making a bad pick.  I don’t know what to tell you, but Mitch was always going need time to develop.  Wasting a year with Fox and no WRs was stupid as fuck.  Last year in many ways was his first legit season because of that and he showed some promise at times.  He no doubt needs to make major strides this year, but I’m certainly jumping to conclusions over one rusty start where the entire offense looked like shit.  If you want to assume he can’t get better because he was the 2nd overall pick two years ago by all means believe that but I’m going to call you out for what I believe to be dumb logic.

The bolded is the correct answer. 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What???!?!?!! Drafting a guy 2nd overall doesnt mean he should be ready in less than 3 years? What world do you live in? Mahomes set NFL records in his second year and Watson has been a star. 

In what world do you expect the 2nd overall pick to take 3+ years just to become average? My goodness.

What has mitch shown progress in?

Let's review his weaknesses:

1. Happy feet

2. Stares down his primary target

3. Too quick to run

4. Poor awareness 

5. Cant get through progressions 

What has he improved in any of those since his first year? 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What???!?!?!! Drafting a guy 2nd overall doesnt mean he should be ready in less than 3 years? What world do you live in? Mahomes set NFL records in his second year and Watson has been a star. 

In what world do you expect the 2nd overall pick to take 3+ years just to become average? My goodness.

1. Happy feet

3. Too quick to run

4. Poor awareness 

We haven't yet seen enough of him this season to evaluate all of those, but last night his footwork was improved while he also struggled with 3/4 on some important plays. 

Whether that was this defense, rust, or something systematic we need a season to evaluate. But you're 100% right there should be substantial improvement on the others.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

1. Happy feet

3. Too quick to run

4. Poor awareness 

At the end of last year he had improved in many of the areas. Yesterday no so much. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

When did I ever say it should take 3+ years for him to develop?  To me, this is his make or break year.  Most QBs take their big leap in year two, but most high end draft picks also have at least two full seasons of college starts.  Combine that with what was basically a completely wasted rookie season (horrific coaching & lack of weapons) and this is effectively year two for him.  I need to see major growth from him this year or else I will be ready to call him a bust too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

When did I ever say it should take 3+ years for him to develop?  To me, this is his make or break year.  Most QBs take their big leap in year two, but most high end draft picks also have at least two full seasons of college starts.  Combine that with what was basically a completely wasted rookie season (horrific coaching & lack of weapons) and this is effectively year two for him.  I need to see major growth from him this year or else I will be ready to call him a bust too. 

This is fair, IMO. 

• Love 2

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We haven't yet seen enough of him this season to evaluate all of those, but last night his footwork was improved while he also struggled with 3/4 on some important plays. 

Whether that was this defense, rust, or something systematic we need a season to evaluate. But you're 100% right there should be substantial improvement on the others.

100% agree.  We need a much bigger sample size than one game to say he’s the same old Mitch.

I am especially invested in Trubisky's development this season since I bought his Jersey during the offseason. Not the screenprinted kind either

Edited by flippedoutpunk

3 minutes ago, flippedoutpunk said:

I am especially invested in Trubisky's development this season since I bought his Jersey during the offseason. Not the screenprinted kind either

I don't buy player jerseys until mid-career, when I'm 100% sure the guy is good. I might break in xmas 2020 with Moncada and Giolito, should they sign extensions. I didn't buy a Toews Jersey until he had won 2 Stanley Cups. I'd buy a Mack jersey. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  We need a much bigger sample size than one game to say he’s the same old Mitch.

So, he wasn't the same old mitch yesterday? Is that what you're saying?

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He was, but we don't know if it was just rust or if he sucks. If he's still doing this in week 4-5, then we can declare him a bust. The Packers looked awful and out of sync too, but nobody's calling Rodgers over the hill. Also, everyone is underrating GB's Defense. They're probably really good. As good as the Bears? No. But that looks like a top 12 unit to me. The Bears generally are regarded as having one of the best offensive lines in football and they made them look like chumps. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He was, but a good defensive performance can make a really good QB appear as "Same old Mitch". That was solid defensive work by the Packers and the Bears didn't seem to help with their game plan. 

It was 1/16th of a season. If a guy is hitting .100 after 10 games in baseball you don't declare his season a bust. If a guy is hitting .150 around Memorial day you get concerned and move him to the cleanup spot for the next month. If he's hitting around .150 half way through the season then you release him. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

He was, but a good defensive performance can make a really good QB appear as "Same old Mitch". That was solid defensive work by the Packers and the Bears didn't seem to help with their game plan. 

It was 1/16th of a season. If a guy is hitting .100 after 10 games in baseball you don't declare his season a bust. If a guy is hitting .150 around Memorial day you get concerned and move him to the cleanup spot for the next month. If he's hitting around .150 half way through the season then you release him. 

This is POTY material. LMMFAO. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So everyone that said same old mitch yesterday was, in fact, correct and didn't deserve the bizarre blowback from trubisky apologists?

The best predictor of the future is past success in sports. Mitch was this way last year and continued to be the same way yesterday. So... until mitch shows something, anything, that says he's improved in any of those areas it should be not only safe to assume, but logical to assume that he is the same guy he was. It doesn't mean its physically impossible for him to change... it means it's less likely he will than not based on the fact that he hasnt.

The packers themselves told you mitch isnt a good qb and their game plan was to make him play qb.

• Love 1

Jesus - it was only the first game on the season, NFL opener with no preseason reps. The hot takes are insane.

I still remember all the crap Parkman said about Trub early last season and had to eat a big fat crow at the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So everyone that said same old mitch yesterday was, in fact, correct and didn't deserve the bizarre blowback from trubisky apologists?

The best predictor of the future is past success in sports. Mitch was this way last year and continued to be the same way yesterday. So... until mitch shows something, anything, that says he's improved in any of those areas it should be not only safe to assume, but logical to assume that he is the same guy he was. It doesn't mean its physically impossible for him to change... it means it's less likely he will than not based on the fact that he hasnt.

The packers themselves told you mitch isnt a good qb and their game plan was to make him play qb.

Ray Ray, I was with you at the start of last year, but I saw progress throughout the 2018 season from MT. Is he good enough yet? No way. But he's still relatively inexperienced. He was always going to take longer. Why you don't understand that, I have no idea. This is a make or break year for him. We should know one way or the other by the 10th game what he is or isn't. If he still struggles to go through his progressions by then, you're right. Heads should roll in that case. It's close to the end, but it's still too early. Rodgers looked like crap most of last night too, so I'm willing to give Trubisky a mulligan for that one. Also, GB's secondary is EXTREMELY talented. Don't underestimate that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Jesus - it was only the first game on the season, NFL opener with no preseason reps. The hot takes are insane.

I still remember all the crap Parkman said about Trub early last season and had to eat a big fat crow at the end.

I remember that too. Trubisky made a lot of strides last year. That's why I was so disappointed last night. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Yup.  Like I honestly don’t care if people think Mitch will ultimately bust, but last night proves absolutely nothing.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup.  Like I honestly don’t care if people think Mitch will ultimately bust, but last night proves absolutely nothing.

Besides Amos, those are 5 top 40 picks in that secondary. It's really talented, and we know Amos is good already. The packers secondary has a chance to be the second coming of the LOB. Kevin King and Jaire Alexander are already really good at the very least. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Eat crow? Lol

He was trash vs good defenses and was the worst player on the field in the first half vs the eagles. If you think trubisky was anything above serviceable last year you are nuts.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Besides Amos, those are 5 top 40 picks in that secondary. It's really talented, and we know Amos is good already. 

I'll bet you the packers dont give up less than 7 points to a single opponent the rest of the year.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll bet you the packers dont give up less than 7 points to a single opponent the rest of the year.

You're probably right. I don't think the Bears will give up single digits the rest of the year either. They might equal last night, but they won't give up single digits. The only difference between the Bears and Packers schedule are themselves and the Bears play the Rams and Saints while the Packers play the 49ers and Panthers. The NFC North has a hard schedule this year. 

I think the Packers could get away with it vs. the Raiders. That's about it. The Packers probably score more than 10 points in every game the rest of the season as well, including at Lambeau vs. the Bears. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You're probably right. I don't think the Bears will give up single digits the rest of the year either. They might equal last night, but they won't give up single digits. The only difference between the Bears and Packers schedule are themselves and the Bears play the Rams and Saints while the Packers play the 49ers and Panthers. The NFC North has a hard schedule this year. 

I think the Packers could get away with it vs. the Raiders. That's about it. The Packers probably score more than 10 points in every game the rest of the season as well, including at Lambeau vs. the Bears. 

I'll bet you that the bears hold at least one opponent (I'd argue 2+) under 10 points. 

The Bears defense is better than last year. It's a historically good unit.

Injuries can destroy a team in the NFL - just adding that disclaimer as they need to stay healthy to be that good.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1