Sox interested in Yolbert Sanchez

EvilJester99

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This statement doesn't seem to describe much of our offseason. 

They take college players over high schoolers

They only pay up for over 18 year old international talent that played in professional leagues

They targeted AAA older “blocked” prospects during a rebuild over younger, raw talent

Just now, bmags said:

They only pay up for over 18 year old international talent that played in professional leagues

They targeted AAA older “blocked” prospects during a rebuild over younger, raw talent

But then they sign Eloy and miss out on the veteran they supposedly targeted. 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

They trade talented 17 year olds for James Shields...

🤣🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

But then they sign Eloy and miss out on the veteran they supposedly targeted. 

The actual application of the theory would be signing/acquiring $45 million of over 30 players over paying the younger higher upside/greater financial risk player, not signing a player they already have to an extension.

• Like 1

A comparison of the two years Robert and Sanchez were both in CNS. Keep in mind Sanchez is a year older and had a down year in '17-'18, but is a good defensive SS.

Luis Robert:

Register Batting
Year Age AgeDif Tm Lg Lev Aff G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
2015-16 17 -11.0 Ciego de Avila CNS Fgn   68 313 269 68 82 10 2 5 29 8 2 32 46 .305 .384 .413 .796 111 3 3 8 1 8
2016-17 18 -10.5 Ciego de Avila CNS Fgn   53 232 182 51 73 12 2 12 40 11 6 38 30 .401 .526 .687 1.213 125 5 11 0 1 10
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 3/25/2019.

Yolbert Sanchez:
Register Batting
Year Age AgeDif Tm Lg Lev Aff G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
2015-16 --   Isla de la Juventud CNS Fgn   59 191 175 21 49 7 2 1 17 1 5 10 21 .280 .323 .360 .683 63 6 1 5 0 0
2016-17 --   Industriales CNS Fgn   37 139 123 16 43 1 0 0 12 4 3 6 10 .350 .391 .358 .749 44 3 3 6 1 0
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 3/25/2019.

I agree with guys like SS2K and bmags on this. This is puzzling. I have it from a really solid source though that it's highly possible. He's close to big league ready but I have the same questions as others. They shouldn't have money laying around. They've had two years to plan for this class. They also don't need near major league ready infielders using this avenue of talent procurement. 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I agree with guys like SS2K and bmags on this. This is puzzling. I have it from a really solid source though that it's highly possible. He's close to big league ready but I have the same questions as others. They shouldn't have money laying around. They've had two years to plan for this class. They also don't need near major league ready infielders using this avenue of talent procurement. 

When he first was named eligible Longenhagen said his agent said he had a 2 million offer in the next class already, do you think that was the Sox?

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Yolmer's gotta go if we get this guy. Hopefully he'll take Yonder with as well

I've heard that Sanchez is a major league ready defender today. Plus arm, speed and defense at SS. He needs work offensively though. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm assuming so. 

At my most charitable reading, at least that could indicate Sox were talking with him earlier and trying to behind the scenes to push him to 2019 instead of 2018.

Basically that he was part of the “2019 plan”.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems pretty unlikely IMO, but who the fuck knows.

Seems pretty likely to me. This was from some time back. Which led me to believe the Sox were that team and they felt they could make him wait with their Cuban track record. Whether the kid is any good or not, who knows. Hasnt hit yet, that's for sure.

https://twitter.com/longenhagen/status/1092852624989122560?s=20

Maybe we are expecting too much from this guy and the Sox just want him as a utility infielder backup for next season.  Madrigal will replace Yolmer at 2B and Yolmer may be gone with how expensive he has gotten via salary arbitration ($4.625 million).  Maybe they view Yolbert as a backup infielder with potential upside.

Edited by Harper2Sox