Sox and Mariners Game #2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

With his new delivery, the "flying open" miss is now low and away instead of up and in to right handers. 

He's lost it again. If he can't repeat his delivery, he's toast. It's as simple as that. This coming from one of the people who thinks he could be good if he could just repeat his delivery. If he can't do that, he won't be any good. 

Yanking the ball isn’t the result of flying open. 

Here's the thing: The new arm action is a huge change. It was and is a big risk. It's not all that surprising that he's going to fight his command when he's revamped the most important part of his motion. Mix that with the fact he's always struggled with repeating himself, it's to be expected that the change to his motion might cause new problems with repeating his delivery. The hope, which I think is reasonable, is that this particular change will be more repeatable...but he has to get used to it first and he just hasn't had many reps.

Just now, Blackout Friday said:

Yanking the ball isn’t the result of flying open. 

Flying open is your body being ahead of your arm. You'll either miss down and away or up and in to your arm side if that happens. Those are the two misses and it depends on the delivery. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think more excuses have been made for him than any other failed prospect this decade 

2019 is a tank year and Giolito's last stand. Let the dude make 25 to 30 starts this year. If him and Lopez continue to bomb out then the Sox will have to spend some $ in the offseason on starting pitching. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If it's about being right or wrong then yes you win. If it's about being patient and not being a dick you lose.

Be mad at Giolito, not me.  I’m just calling it like I see it.  And like others have already stated, 2019 should be his last chance.  If he can’t repeat his delivery from start to start, it just isn’t gonna happen for him.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s his game plan they’re following

I suspect the gameplan was to throw some strikes. He's had far better luck getting the fastball in the zone than anything else so it doesn't surprise me that's where he's going. That's especially true out of the stretch where most guys are better locating their fastball than their offspeed pitches

8 minutes ago, Jake said:

Here's the thing: The new arm action is a huge change. It was and is a big risk. It's not all that surprising that he's going to fight his command when he's revamped the most important part of his motion. Mix that with the fact he's always struggled with repeating himself, it's to be expected that the change to his motion might cause new problems with repeating his delivery. The hope, which I think is reasonable, is that this particular change will be more repeatable...but he has to get used to it first and he just hasn't had many reps.

Good analysis. A lot better than calling him a head case.

• Like 1

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic