Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves

SweatyFreddy

27 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I read today that Keuchel is considering accepting a 1 year deal next week (actually less than 1 year since the season is 1/3 over). I’d throw $15M at him and plug him in with Cease for the rest of the season see what happens. The Sox are on pace for 75 wins with one viable starting pitcher. Adding two more and bumping Lopez and Nova down to the 4/5 spots could make things interesting at least.

So basically he wants to compound his mistake .I don't see how not pitching for almost half a season will help his cause. If he's bad that hurts him for 2020 . He needs to take the best multi year offer he can get right now.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So basically he wants to compound his mistake .I don't see how not pitching for almost half a season will help his cause. If he's bad that hurts him for 2020 . He needs to take the best multi year offer he can get right now.

Yea, it surprised me too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2838438-dallas-keuchel-rumors-ex-astros-pitcher-open-to-1-year-18m-contract.amp.html

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I read today that Keuchel is considering accepting a 1 year deal next week (actually less than 1 year since the season is 1/3 over). I’d throw $15M at him and plug him in with Cease for the rest of the season see what happens. The Sox are on pace for 75 wins with one viable starting pitcher. Adding two more and bumping Lopez and Nova down to the 4/5 spots could make things interesting at least.

It might make us .500, but we are way more than a single SP away from catching the Twins. Even traveling back in time and stealing 2000 Pedro wouldn't get us there.

6 hours ago, gusguyman said:

It might make us .500, but we are way more than a single SP away from catching the Twins. Even traveling back in time and stealing 2000 Pedro wouldn't get us there.

Afraid we waited to long to find SP.  Also, we were unlucky with the Kopech/Rodon injuries.  I will try to be content with the growth of Anderson/Moncada/Jimenez/Giolito and the finding useful pieces of McCann/Tilson.  A productive winter and the return of the walking wounded will have us competing for the division next year.

6 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Don’t need to catch the Twins when you’re sitting just 3.5 games back of the second wild card spot. And don’t forget, if they really wanted to go for it, Collins and Robert should also provide a mid season boost. I’d say sign Kimbrel too. Filthy 8/9th inning combo of Colome and Kimbrel.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Don’t need to catch the Twins when you’re sitting just 3.5 games back of the second wild card spot. And don’t forget, if they really wanted to go for it, Collins and Robert should also provide a mid season boost. I’d say sign Kimbrel too. Filthy 8/9th inning combo of Colome and Kimbrel.

If nothing else...it would provide a marketing jolt.

9 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

With all the money Hahn already burned up last offseason, I would be surprised if Jerry gave him license to potentially burn more mid-season.

Yeah, Hahn has burned up a lot of money this past season BUT THE WHITE SOX STILL HAVE ONE OF THE LOWEST TEAM PAYROLLS IN MLB.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:23 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It sounds crazy but allocate Manny’s $30M for this season to sign Kimbrel and Keuchel in two weeks and who knows what happens. Just need to get out of Minnesota this weekend with one win at least. Then the Sox have a real chance of winning 8 or 9 of their next 14 following the Twins series when you look at their schedule.  That would put them right around .500 in mid-June with possible reinforcements of Cease, Robert, Kimbrel, and Keuchel on the way. That would make things awfully interesting for the remaining 96 games.

Let’s do this. 4 with Cleveland, 4 with Washington, and 3 with KC over the next 11. 7-4 puts them at 33-33. 

13 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Yeah, Hahn has burned up a lot of money this past season BUT THE WHITE SOX STILL HAVE ONE OF THE LOWEST TEAM PAYROLLS IN MLB.

But look at who Hahn signed.  Jerry obviously thinks that spreading out the money amongst a bunch of mediocre players is a better strategy than paying one better player a bunch of money.

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

But look at who Hahn signed.  Jerry obviously thinks that spreading out the money amongst a bunch of mediocre players is a better strategy than paying one better player a bunch of money.

That strategy resulted in signing a player that is currently carrying a higher fWAR than the $300M man.

29 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That strategy resulted in signing a player that is currently carrying a higher fWAR than the $300M man.

And go bet your money on that continuing past this season.  The two $300 million dollar men were about adding a top young player for the entire rebuild years, not just for one or two years of non-competition.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 hours ago, wegner said:

Doesn't hurt to see what we can get him for on a 3 year deal....after the draft that is

Yeah that's what I would do. Short term, high AAV deal (no one else is getting paid in that time anyway). I would think a contender would offer an extra year or two though.

6 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It doesn't matter if you spread the money among a few players or one...you've got to pick the right people.  I personally favor the several people approach but that doesn't mean I favored the Alonso/Jay choices.  Most of us would take a small army of McCann's.

6 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And go bet your money on that continuing past this season.  The two $300 million dollar men were about adding a top young player for the entire rebuild years, not just for one or two years of non-competition.

Calling Machado a “top young player” is highly debatable. He won’t even make the all star team this year despite being in his age 26/27 “prime” season.

55 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It doesn't matter if you spread the money among a few players or one...you've got to pick the right people.  I personally favor the several people approach but that doesn't mean I favored the Alonso/Jay choices.  Most of us would take a small army of McCann's.

They've consistently done this in the years they tried to win the division. They were either terrible or always fell short of 1st place fading the second half of the season. 

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

They've consistently done this in the years they tried to win the division. They were either terrible or always fell short of 1st place fading the second half of the season. 

Except 2005. The Twins employed this strategy last offseason and it seems to be working out. The difference between this Sox team and years past is that they’ve never had a core of young players this talented. Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, and eventually Robert all have huge potential. On the pitching side, Giolito, Kopech, and Cease have the same. If those guys come anywhere near their potential, the Sox won’t have to add a whole heck of a lot around them to be a contender, especially if guys like Garcia, McCann, and Tilson continue to contribute.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

I would love to know who it was it that first said to RH that the Sox should take a look at Alonso.  Was it KW, some scout or maybe RH himself?  That person should be found and never let into a talent meeting again.  On the other hand...find who first suggested McCann and promote him and never hold a closed door meeting about possible acquisitions without having him in the room.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I would love to know who it was it that first said to RH that the Sox should take a look at Alonso.  Was it KW, some scout or maybe RH himself?  That person should be found and never let into a talent meeting again.  On the other hand...find who first suggested McCann and promote him and never hold a closed door meeting about possible acquisitions without having him in the room.

Have a feeling they got the idea from Ken Rosenthal randomly mentioning the day before they traded for him that a team looking to sign Machado should add his brother-in-law. I remember someone posted about that when the trade happened. lol

Edited by soxfan2014

• knightni changed the title to Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves