Reacquire Adam Eaton

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Sox could trade from their surplus of OF.  Anyone of Gonzalez, Basabe or Rutherford would be more than fine.  Throw in Fulmer or Hansen as a sweetener.  Done and done.

Absent salary coming back I'm not sure that's enough.

48 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

His price is kinda tricky for the reasons you named but the Sox have the ammo to beat a few contenders if they really want him for the next two years. He's been pretty reliable, healthwise, throughout his career though.

Yes he is a horse and I'm sure the Sox young pitchers could learn a lot from him. I just don't think the Sox are in a position to take chances on an old arm while giving up young players for it . I rather see what the market for Bumgarner or Cole is going to be like and keep the players.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

55 minutes ago, mqr said:

He's been injured twice, comparing him to pitchers with bad elbows is silly

His style of play does not lend itself to a player staying healthy.  He is also 30 and his speed will begin to decline which will affect his overall game.

Edited by Harper2Sox

The Nats aren't tearing anything down. They just gave Corbin a big contract and still have Strasburg and Schezer under control for a couple more years. They are in go for it mode. Still a ton of baseball left to play this year. 

If they are tearing it down, then let's go get Juan Soto or Victor Robles. Send em Robert, Kopech, and Hansen for Soto. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The Nats aren't tearing anything down. They just gave Corbin a big contract and still have Strasburg and Schezer under control for a couple more years. They are in go for it mode. Still a ton of baseball left to play this year. 

If they are tearing it down, then let's go get Juan Soto or Victor Robles. Send em Robert, Kopech, and Hansen for Soto. 

Troll post?

Why would the Sox trade a guy (Robert) who could be as good or better than both Soto or Robles...  but also include Kopech and Hansen for Soto?

Edited by Harper2Sox

31 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Troll post?

Why would the Sox trade a guy (Robert) who could be as good or better than both Soto or Robles...  but also include Kopech and Hansen?

yeah robert is not going to be better than BOTH soto and robles.

Troll post?

14 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Troll post?

Why would the Sox trade a guy (Robert) who could be as good or better than both Soto or Robles...  but also include Kopech and Hansen for Soto?

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

yeah robert is going to be better than BOTH soto and robles.

Troll post?

Why would the Nats trade Eaton for garbage like Carson Fulmer or Blake Rutherford when they are in go it for mode? 

Juan Soto is only 20 years old and has already put up 3 WAR. Honestly, he is probably untouchable. Rizzo would have to find a new job if all he got back was Robert and Kopech for Soto. 

Since 2020 is the likely contending target year, I can definitely see the Sox going into the trade deadline in both buying and selling mode. They will be looking to acquire starting pitchers likely via trade with at least 3 years of control left on their contracts. I can also see them trying to unload guys like Alonso, Jay (if he's still alive), Castillo and maybe Abreu? Although, Abreu might be signing a 2-3 year extension if he continues to hit like this.  Trading for a pitcher will be tricky. The Tatis trade put a dark cloud over this front office. So whichever prospects they do unload, they need to make sure its a guy they can live without in the future. 

Other than Washington, which other teams in the league will be potentially selling off assets? Or is it too early to even look at this? 

Edited by GreatScott82

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Absent salary coming back I'm not sure that's enough.

It wouldn't even be close.  You don't add up 5 nickels and get a dollar.  Rutherford is barely a prospect at this point.  C+ guy.  Fulmer probably has negative value given his 40 man status.  You'd have to send over an actual B or higher guy and that would probably be Dunning.  On paper I'd do the move because Eaton is a proven contributor even when missing 30-40 games.

But I would have some reservations about Eaton as a team mate again.  

13 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Why would the Nats trade Eaton for garbage like Carson Fulmer or Blake Rutherford when they are in go it for mode? 

Juan Soto is only 20 years old and has already put up 3 WAR. Honestly, he is probably untouchable. Rizzo would have to find a new job if all he got back was Robert and Kopech for Soto. 

i unfortunately missed the "not" in my post.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It wouldn't even be close.  You don't add up 5 nickels and get a dollar.  Rutherford is barely a prospect at this point.  C+ guy.  Fulmer probably has negative value given his 40 man status.  You'd have to send over an actual B or higher guy and that would probably be Dunning. 

Rutherford will have to be added to the 40 man this December as well.  

I mean, bring up Robert.

C- McCann/Roidington

1b/DH - Abreu/Yonder

2b - Leury

SS - Anderson

3b - Yoan

LF - Eloy

CF - Robert

RF - Eaton

Bench - Yolmer/Cordell/(RIPJay)/Tilson/Rondon

That's legitimate offense at each position and adds a .350 obp guy ahead of Moncada, allows Anderson to drop, and lets leury play in the 7-9.

9 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

Since 2020 is the likely contending target year, I can definitely see the Sox going into the trade deadline in both buying and selling mode. They will be looking to acquire starting pitchers likely via trade with at least 3 years of control left on their contracts. I can also see them trying to unload guys like Alonso, Jay (if he's still alive), Castillo and maybe Abreu? Although, Abreu might be signing a 2-3 year extension if he continues to hit like this.  Trading for a pitcher will be tricky. The Tatis trade put a dark cloud over this front office. So whichever prospects they do unload, they need to make sure its a guy they live without in the future. 

Other than Washington, which other teams in the league will be potentially selling off assets? Or is it too early to even look at this? 

Still probably too early to tell but teams like the DBacks, Giants, and Indians immediately jump to mind. Grienke is under control through the 2021 season but has an AAV of over 30 million. I'm sure the Giants want to dump Cueto as well but his arm might be toast. Indians will probably trade Kluber but the Tribe will demand a kings ransom for him. 

The best avenue is just to buy pitching on the FA market. The Sox's farm has very little depth after Robert, Kopech, Cease, Collins, and Madrigal. 

It will be interesting to see if the Sox even attempt to make a run at a guy like Cole this offseason. I suspect they will looking more at guys like Wacha and Alex Wood. 

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Washington is going nowhere and heading towards a firesale.  Eaton would fill a massive hole in RF and the top of the lineup.  He has two option years remaining at $9.5M and 10.5M and is healthy and playing well.  I think they should bring him back.  

This thought has actually crossed my mind before. In a vacuum, it's a so-so move. But when you consider the realistic options available, it's really not that bad.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I mean, bring up Robert.

C- McCann/Roidington

1b/DH - Abreu/Yonder

2b - Leury

SS - Anderson

3b - Yoan

LF - Eloy

CF - Robert

RF - Eaton

Bench - Yolmer/Cordell/(RIPJay)/Tilson/Rondon

That's legitimate offense at each position and adds a .350 obp guy ahead of Moncada, allows Anderson to drop, and lets leury play in the 7-9.

Robert isn't coming up anytime soon.  

How about we DFA Alonso, option Nicky and Cordell and call up Collins and Palka, and re-instate Eloy. 

vs. RHP: Leury CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, McCann C, Eloy LF, Collins DH, Anderson SS, Palka RF, Yolmer 2B

vs. LHP: Leury CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, McCann C, Eloy LF, Castillo DH, Anderson SS, Rondon RF, Yolmer 2B

Collins can occasionally catch in place of McCann and play 1B instead of Abreu against RHP.  Collins on the roster gives Ricky more flexibility to DH McCann and Castillo regularly when not catching.  RF defense sucks I guess.  Could keep Cordell up and send Tilson back to AAA and play Cordell in RF versus LHP.  Helps the defense.  Tilson would be true 4th OF based on the above, so wouldn't get much PT with Palka back on the roster. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Robert isn't coming up anytime soon.  

How about we DFA Alonso, option Nicky and Cordell and call up Collins and Palka, and re-instate Eloy. 

vs. RHP: Leury CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, McCann C, Eloy LF, Collins DH, Anderson SS, Palka RF, Yolmer 2B

vs. LHP: Leury CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, McCann C, Eloy LF, Castillo DH, Anderson SS, Rondon RF, Yolmer 2B

Collins can occasionally catch in place of McCann and play 1B instead of Abreu against RHP.  Collins on the roster gives Ricky more flexibility to DH McCann and Castillo regularly when not catching.  RF defense sucks I guess.  Could keep Cordell up and send Tilson back to AAA and play Cordell in RF versus LHP.  Helps the defense.  Tilson would be true 4th OF based on the above, so wouldn't get much PT with Palka back on the roster. 

My point wasn't to demand calling up Robert it's to show that it wouldn't preclude declining on Eaton.

But no I'm on Cordell over Palka now. Palka's defensive value was too low and he didn't show improvement in any respect in obp so he lost his chance.

23 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The best avenue is just to buy pitching on the FA market. The Sox's farm has very little depth after Robert, Kopech, Cease, Collins, and Madrigal. 

It will be interesting to see if the Sox even attempt to make a run at a guy like Cole this offseason. I suspect they will looking more at guys like Wacha and Alex Wood. 

I can actually find a few  parallels between the Cubs signing of Lester and the Sox going after Bumgarner . The Cubs signed the left handed Lester for his age 31 season to anchor their staff for what hopefully would result in a World Series win. Mission accomplished.

If the Sox signed Bumgarner it would be for his age 30 season. They need a LH in the rotation. I think a few World Series appearances took a lot out of his arm but he is coming back from that. He could go back to being a high quality LH workhorse and he could also provide a winners perspective and invaluable insight into pitching for the youngsters. He is exactly what the Sox need .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

My point wasn't to demand calling up Robert it's to show that it wouldn't preclude declining on Eaton.

But no I'm on Cordell over Palka now. Palka's defensive value was too low and he didn't show improvement in any respect in obp so he lost his chance.

Yah.  Obviously was a rough start for Palka.  But he's been playing well in AAA last 10 days or so.  He'll definitely be back and he actually has a somewhat small chance to be a part of the future.  Alonso has none.  It'd moreso be Palka for Alonso.