Sox @ Twins 5/24 Gamethread

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Rick has made a number of good deals and extensions.  Alonso is not one of them.  He is just using up space where a prospect good be earning a shot.

Extensions yes...acquisitions? No. Someone here posted a list of every FA he has acquired and the results are sickening.

Lopez didn't have it, the bullpen was just as bad and the Twins continue to hit just about everything thrown out of sight. If it wasn't for the fact that they are killing pitchers on the road as often as at home, I'd think something is going on with the scoreboard or sign stealing.

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Extensions yes...acquisitions? No. Someone here posted a list of every FA he has acquired and the results are sickening.

I meant trades.  Too frustrated to proof read the crap in my head.

Just now, poppysox said:

I meant trades.  Too frustrated to proof read the crap in my head.

I think he's done a better job in trades than in FA acquisitions but that's not saying much is it?

By the way the Sox put Ian Hamilton on the IL. At Charlotte he was 0-2 with and ERA of almost 10 in 16 games. Another "quality" bullpen guy there folks for those posters who were saying how good the Sox bullpen should be in future seasons.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I think his trades have been excellent.  In an earlier post I said FA acquisitions not so much with the exception of McCann.

Trades for minor leaguers we're doing all right for them.

"Win now" trades where he gives up prospects for big leaguers...well let's just say there's a few issues with those.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

By the way the Sox put Ian Hamilton on the IL. At Charlotte he was 0-2 with and ERA of almost 10 in 16 games. Another "quality" bullpen guy there folks for those posters who were saying how good the Sox bullpen should be in future seasons.

He has clearly not been the same since that injury from the car accident. Lets not continue to be a narrative please. 

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He has clearly not been the same since that injury from the car accident. Lets not continue to be a narrative please. 

Exactly what was his injury? If I recall correctly it was a bruised shoulder. If it is not and there's something else going on then doesn't that suggest a misdiagnosis by someone on the medical staff?

I agree there seems to be something more here in play which gives me greater concern that someone, somewhere blew the exam / diagnosis.

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Exactly what was his injury? If I recall correctly it was a bruised shoulder. If it is not and there's something else going on then doesn't that suggest a misdiagnosis by someone on the medical staff?

I agree there seems to be something more here in play which gives me greater concern that someone, somewhere blew the exam / diagnosis.

He’s still striking out/walking guys at the same clip, he’s just getting dinged up. It’s probably a mental thing

It was a bad game. 

Dont know if y’all have realized but we are still 1-0-4 in our last five series. We haven’t lost a series since the Boston one. 

Saw a lot of kneejerk reactions to this bad game. Here are some bright spots - 

1) Moncada still good, despite the boneheaded bunt, and his defense is getting better and better.

2) Tilson really appears to be a decent - not great yet - baseball player. .725 OPS outfielder with above average defense and some wheels. I like him. 

3) Anderson is still finding weird places to let balls drop in and still hitting great. 

4) Abreu is still really consistent. 

I don’t know, this team to me feels way better than last year and just a couple of players away from contending for this division. Even with tonight’s loss they are 20-19 in their last 39. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

It was a bad game. 

Dont know if y’all have realized but we are still 1-0-4 in our last five series. We haven’t lost a series since the Boston one. 

Saw a lot of kneejerk reactions to this bad game. Here are some bright spots - 

1) Moncada still good, despite the boneheaded bunt, and his defense is getting better and better.

2) Tilson really appears to be a decent - not great yet - baseball player. .725 OPS outfielder with above average defense and some wheels. I like him. 

3) Anderson is still finding weird places to let balls drop in and still hitting great. 

4) Abreu is still really consistent. 

I don’t know, this team to me feels way better than last year and just a couple of players away from contending for this division. Even with tonight’s loss they are 20-19 in their last 39. 

They feel better because they are better. The chicken little fatalism after every single loss is really damn grating. 

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

I'm just as confident in Lopez being nothing more than a fourth or (more likely) fifth starter as I was in Giolito's ability to realize his potential. Obviously, both of those are still up in the air...but watching Lopez pitch is bad for your health. It's shitty when the scoreboard reads 4-1 and you know that won't last. 

When the scoreboard reads 4-4 and every fan in town knows to get Lopez out,,, but we wait til it reads 8-4 to lift him.  That's just lousy managing.  Actually I do understand that having one reliable starter puts Ricky in an awkward spot.  My feeling is this was the one game we had a shot at winning.  Letting this game get away by being slow to the pen was dumb IMO.  

6 hours ago, mqr said:

They feel better because they are better. The chicken little fatalism after every single loss is really damn grating. 

Yeah this place has gotten incredibly toxic and not a fun place to post. 

Maybe people should stop watching if the team affects them this negatively.

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think he's done a better job in trades than in FA acquisitions but that's not saying much is it?

Uh, kind of hard to plan for car accidents dude.  If you’re going to rip the Sox at least pick one of the many items that is fair game.

11 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed,

My original comment was I don't think they are as good as the Astros, Cubs and the Dodgers.

And all teams go through slumps.

And the Twins will be no exception.

If Cleveland doesn't catch them, they'll win the division if nothing else.

They look a like a team of non superstars having a collective career year.

The Sox will have potentially several superstar caliber players when hopefully this rebuild comes to fruition.  

Edited by GradMc

If the rotation had come together we would have been competing now.  The injuries to Kopech and Rodon left us short of quality arms for 2019.  If management doesn't want to push Cease and/or buy outside help (Keuchel)  then we just don't have enough to compete.  Management has said all along that they will stay the course and not seek quick fixes.  They are probably doing what's right for long term...just not easy to watch embarrassing losses. The development of Giolito, Anderson, Madrigal, McCann, Tilson, Bummer, Marshall & Jimenez has been really good news on that front.  Anxious to see Robert, Collins & Madrigal develop.  What we do in the trade / or not for Abreu, Colome & Herrera is the next big part of the puzzle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Yeah, besides McCann (albeit a small sample size) nothing is jumping out at me as a "good acquisition" unless we're counting Cease, Jimenez, Giolito, Robert, etc.

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

My original comment was I don't think they are as good as the Astros, Cubs and the Dodgers.

And all teams go through slumps.

And the Twins will be no exception.

If Cleveland doesn't catch them, they'll win the division if nothing else.

They look a like a team of non superstars having a collective career year.  

I agree with this. Rosario and Berrios are great, maybe Polanco and Buxton too to a lesser extent, but everyone else is faking it. They’ll regress.

41 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah, besides McCann (albeit a small sample size) nothing is jumping out at me as a "good acquisition" unless we're counting Cease, Jimenez, Giolito, Robert, etc.

Might mention Abreu, Q and Eaton as well.