2019-2020 Official NBA Thread

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There's an awful lot of talk about 76ers assistant Ime Udoka as a top candidate for the Bulls. 

If they don't go with Nate - Udoka would be my next best candidate. Griffin would have been my top guy - but no way Im' touching him with all of the reports out there. No idea if there is truth to the story or if his ex-wife is crazy but either way not worth the risk for the Bulls.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Tony said:

Supposedly he had offers for "better jobs" so if anything it's an endorsement of the Bulls young talent. 

I'm not giving up on Markkanen yet so hopefully a real coach can get him going. 

I still think he has a chance to be the best player on the current roster. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

He is a professional coach who is pretty well respected around the league, including by players.  I don't know that he's a home run coach - but from a respectability perspective, this is a home run hire.  You went from Boylen who is the exact opposite to a guy who has real clout around the league.  

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

After the season he just had in OKC...I did like the idea of an assistant coach getting their first shot, but I certainly can't complain.

Can't tell - do you not like the job he did at OKC?  I actually thought the opposite - I didn't think anyone expected him to get as much out of that team as he did. You saw young players develop and obviously Chris Paul was masterful (and probably played a HUGE part in what OKC did as well).  To your point - they could have found an assistant who was better, but coming from where they were a year ago - this is a pretty masterful hire if for no other reason than literally in the course of an off-season the front office has potentially cleaned up some LT perception issues (front office & head coach).  

Now proof is actually in the pudding - but pretty happy with the initial steps made by the new regime.  

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Can't tell - do you not like the job he did at OKC?  I actually thought the opposite - I didn't think anyone expected him to get as much out of that team as he did. You saw young players develop and obviously Chris Paul was masterful (and probably played a HUGE part in what OKC did as well).  To your point - they could have found an assistant who was better, but coming from where they were a year ago - this is a pretty masterful hire if for no other reason than literally in the course of an off-season the front office has potentially cleaned up some LT perception issues (front office & head coach).  

Now proof is actually in the pudding - but pretty happy with the initial steps made by the new regime.  

I thought his work this year in OKC was great. I was sort of hoping for some new blood in coaching and tbh it would be nice to see some diversity in the Bulls coaching hires, but yeah I'd say this is a great hire.

Love this quote from Billy D (from sometime this season).  It is like the exact opposite of Boylen quoting he wanted his offense to average like 35+ assists a game (which had like NEVER been done in the history of basketball).  Also a pretty sweet youtube video.

Donovan:

“Everybody would like to have three things - they'd like to get a lot of free throws, like to get a lot of threes and a lot of layups,” Donovan stated. “Inevitably, you have to take what the defense gives you.”

Opposing defenses are trying to take those exact things away, as Donovan hinted, so the area of the floor the Thunder has optimized perhaps more than any team this year is the mid-range jump shot. The Thunder ranks fifth in overall field goal percentage (47.3 percent) thanks in part to shooting 47.6 percent on two-point jump shots, the highest figure in the league. By leveraging opposing defenses that are trying to prevent layups and three-pointers, the Thunder has optimized one thing NBA players love the most: open, uncontested shots.
  • Like 1

Now when are the Bulls going to all of a sudden make a play for Bradley Beal - who has tweeted on multiple ocassions going back past month+ about Donovan and the Bulls (including again tonight).  Do you trade Lavine for him (plus picks) or do the Bulls package other young players for him (Lauri, Kobe, etc)?  Than go out and lure Giannis next year.  

Or just let this year play out and go all in for Giannis & AD and let the rest of the chips fall out where they do :)

4 hours ago, scs787 said:

So, 2021. Do the Bulls have space for 2 max deals?? Beals name has been talked about with his connection to Billy. Can Lavine get by at the 3??  Do they just play White in a Lou Williams role? Do you jist try and trade Lavine? 

Build your 2021 team. 

I think so? Removing all team options and keeping all rookie deals and team options (arcidiacano, white, hutchinson, carter, markannen, gafford, puts them at 49.5 mill according to this: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chicago-bulls-team-salary/

That's about 60 mill compared to 2020 cap space and who knows if it grows considering revenues next year.

But they could easily get rid of hutchinson. That wouldn't be enough for all max guys but would get them close enough where if its a package deal they could probably make it work.

But yeah...interesting year. Do we think AD leaves LA? I doubt it. Is Kawhi opting out?

Giannis + Oladipo could be interesting. Team desperately needs a good point guard. Giannis + PG with Lavine at the 2. Would be fun if Ball fell to 4 then.

With a coach players like and an exec team that's not a joke, suddenly these posts don't seem that crazy.

This is nice to get tid bits on building out an international operation. It's been a while, but AK probably has a lot of connections in those NBA scouting gigs internationally (I believe he ran that), so he could put together quite a staff there.

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think so? Removing all team options and keeping all rookie deals and team options (arcidiacano, white, hutchinson, carter, markannen, gafford, puts them at 49.5 mill according to this: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chicago-bulls-team-salary/

That's about 60 mill compared to 2020 cap space and who knows if it grows considering revenues next year.

But they could easily get rid of hutchinson. That wouldn't be enough for all max guys but would get them close enough where if its a package deal they could probably make it work.

But yeah...interesting year. Do we think AD leaves LA? I doubt it. Is Kawhi opting out?

Giannis + Oladipo could be interesting. Team desperately needs a good point guard. Giannis + PG with Lavine at the 2. Would be fun if Ball fell to 4 then.

With a coach players like and an exec team that's not a joke, suddenly these posts don't seem that crazy.

If Ball is there - I think we'd get him and your rationale makes total sense and not crazy delusional. I'm just rooting for the Nuggets to shock the world this round :)  

AK should not get credit for this but man what a run of drafting in denver holy crap.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DEN/draft.html

2018 (14) - Michael Porter Jr. 

2017 (13) - Donovan Mitchell (all star)

2016 (7) - Jamal Murray (all star)

2016 (12) - Juan Hernangomez

2016 (14) - Malik Beasley (traded both this year for a 1st round pick, napier, gerald green, bates-diop and salary)

2015 (7) Emanuel Mudiay (traded to new york, draft bol bol with it) - Worst pick by far

2014 (11) - trade pick (Doug McDermott) to Chicago for 16, 18

2014 (16) - Gary Harris (starter)

2014 (18) - Jusuf Nurkic (traded to Portland for plumlee, got useless with Nokic)

2014 (41) - Nikola Jokic (all star)

2013 (27) - Rudy Gobert

Holy. Crap.

Here is the bulls drafting since 2013

2019 (7) - Coby White

2018 (7) - Wendell Carter Jr

2018 (22) - Chandler Hutchinson

2017 (7) - Lauri Markannen (trade jordan bell in 2nd round)

2016 (14) - Denzel Valentine

2016 (48) - Paul Zipser

2015 (22) - Bobby Portis

2014 (11) - Doug McDermott

2014 (48) - Cameron Bairstow

2013 (20) - Tony Snell

2013 (49) - Erik Murphy

Bolded was Bulls drafting ahead of Nuggets.

That org can draft. Let's hope we got a guy that was key to that success.

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If Ball is there - I think we'd get him and your rationale makes total sense and not crazy delusional. I'm just rooting for the Nuggets to shock the world this round :)  

The best news is being very confident that Karnisovas can get the info needed to judge a draft where you need good info from Australia, France and Israel.