Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
smalls2598

Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

 

Do you trust McCann to do this again with the bat? I don't. McCann is having a career year but I think he's a backup long-term. 

Grandal and McCann would make a great tandem. 

The way he handles a young pitching staff which we will have, he doesn't need to hit like this.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AJ Reed is going to to fill the Yonder sized hole in all of our hearts. 

Interested how long it takes for us to never want to see him again. Palka lasted about 3 days. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

The way he handles a young pitching staff which we will have, he doesn't need to hit like this.

Yea he's an asset even when his bat cools off to the 270/320/400 level and it almost certainly will.  Great find by the Sox staff he's made some mechanical improvements and appears to have improved his true talent level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mqr said:

AJ Reed is going to to fill the Yonder sized hole in all of our hearts. 

Interested how long it takes for us to never want to see him again. 

That's why he's going to get the playing time. We should all want to find out, one way, or the other. 

Here are his AAA Split Stats from 2016 through last year, versus RH pitching:

           AVG    OBP   SLG%  OPS    

2018  .272    .363    .554    .916    24 HR 345 AB

2017  .287    .375    .590    .966    29  HR 349 AB 

2016  .306    .361    .585    .946     11  HR 183 AB
 

Edited by Lillian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mqr said:

AJ Reed is going to to fill the Yonder sized hole in all of our hearts. 

Interested how long it takes for us to never want to see him again. Palka lasted about 3 days. 

Just look at the positives.  Once he fails, we can relive the experience with Yermin.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

Castillo is rehabbing in the minors as we speak.  Assuming he is called up very soon, I imagine Collins goes back to AAA.

 

51 minutes ago, hi8is said:

This

Castillo should just be released. He is a cheater and a guy who has no future with the White Sox. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea he's an asset even when his bat cools off to the 270/320/400 level and it almost certainly will.  Great find by the Sox staff he's made some mechanical improvements and appears to have improved his true talent level.

And I would much rather spend the money on pitching and a RF. McCann is just fine for the next few years with the lineup that will be around him, he will be hitting in the 7-9 range. Find a couple starters, some bullpen guys and a RF and this team is set IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I suspected that your comment was made in jest, but as much grief as I get around here, for wanting a better balance in the line up, I never know when someone is serious, when it comes to that subject. 

Let me just chime in that I always appreciate your perspective Lillian and that you are an asset to the community here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If you assume that Abreu will be extended and Reed shows some production, he will at least have a job at DH next season until Vaughn is ready.

At this point, I don’t see a scenario where Abreu isn’t back next year so I guess the key for Reed is tearing it up quickly and how long will Abreu be extended for.

The perfect storm would be Reed tearing it up in the second half, signing Abreu for one more year, and Vaughn being ready after the 2020 season.  But I doubt we are that lucky or that Abreu would settle for a one year deal.

Not really. Perfect storm would be Reed tearing it up this year and next and  beyond we have to find another spot for Vaughn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Not really. Perfect storm would be Reed tearing it up this year and next and  beyond we have to find another spot for Vaughn.

Perfect storm would be Reed becomes JD Martinez 2.0 

Small chance of it happening, but again this is a zero risk pick up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Not really. Perfect storm would be Reed tearing it up this year and next and  beyond we have to find another spot for Vaughn.

True, I guess we could always trade one of them.  Based on most of the draft talk, Vaughn will only be able to play 1B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

 

Do you trust McCann to do this again with the bat? I don't. McCann is having a career year but I think he's a backup long-term. 

Grandal and McCann would make a great tandem. 

Catching is 80% defense 20% offense. 

I find it ironic that the biggest Giolito guy in this board is an anti-McCann believer.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

The Sox need to spend $ this offseason on pitching, pitching, and more pitching. McCann will be the starting catcher in 2020. The back up catcher for 2020 is tbd. 

Collins was drafted over 3 years ago as one of the most advanced college bats in the draft. If his bat ain't ready for the show now then it likely won't ever be. 

I don't like the idea of leaving Collins in AAA the rest of this year. The Sox are hopefully going to be competitive in 2020. Zach Collins learning on the job next year is not going to help the team win baseball games. 

Catchers take about twice as long to develop and reach offensive potential due to the amount of time they have to dedicate to everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Catching is 80% defense 20% offense. 

I find it ironic that the biggest Giolito guy in this board is anti-McCann believer.

I'm 100% fine with McCann being here. He's great at calling games and helping the pitchers. I just think that he's probably going to revert to career norms next year. I'd like to keep him here, but as a backup and Giolito's personal catcher. He brings plenty of value to the team. I just don't think he can be trusted to take the lion's share of the starts behind the plate next year.

Everyone should know that to say I'm not a fan of Collins is an understatement. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'm 100% fine with McCann being here. He's great at calling games and helping the pitchers here. I just think that he's probably going to revert to career norms next year. I'd like to keep him here, but as a backup and Giolito's personal catcher. 

Career norms in relation to what? Offense? He's changed quite a bit about his offensive game and while he's not this good, it's likely hes better than what he had shown in Detroit. An average bat with his defense and game calling is a top level catcher who should be catching 110 days a year.

Why would he just be giolitos catcher if his skill is analysis and execution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bmags said:

I did not say he was an mlb caliber player, I said he was an actual mlb player. He had multiple years in the big leagues to improve and appeared to plateau, which he did not. It was talking about the remarkable outlier that was JD Martinez. 

I also did not say it was the only reason that he wouldn't work out that the astros released him, but it adds to the lower likelihood his lottery will cash in, because they are an org that has been very good at evaluating talent, including maximizing players other orgs had thought had hit their limit. 

They didnt maximize Ken Giles - just to name another. They have a lot of success stories based on throwing pitches that work. Offensively I'm not as sold as you are. They just had a shit ton of talent and drafted well at the top. Did they maximize Reeds development and then stall it with something? Who knows... I'm just not sure how we can credit them with maximizing potential when Reed was a top 30 prospect who got worse and busted. Why didn't they maximize him?

You give them way too much credit imo. They're good at what they do but they don't have endless answers for all kinds of players. They've let go of guys who have improved after they left just as theyve brought in guys who have gotten better.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Career norms in relation to what? Offense? He's changed quite a bit about his offensive game and while he's not this good, it's likely hes better than what he had shown in Detroit. An average bat with his defense and game calling is a top level catcher who should be catching 110 days a year.

Why would he just be giolitos catcher if his skill is analysis and execution?

Yeah, offense. I'm pretty skeptical of mid-career aberrations, until they prove to have staying power. 

If McCann's BABIP was normalized(to xBABIP) , what would his numbers be? 

If McCann can prove that he's now a .270/.330/.750 hitter, then yeah, Grandal would be a waste of resources. Catcher is last on my priority list. They need to stabilize the rotation, first and foremost. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Not really. Perfect storm would be Reed tearing it up this year and next and  beyond we have to find another spot for Vaughn.

You mean like 1b for Vaughn and DH for Reed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to be very interesting if the Sox can develop Reed and his bat. The power was always real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, offense. I'm pretty skeptical of mid-career aberrations, until they prove to have staying power. 

If McCann's BABIP was normalized(to xBABIP) , what would his numbers be? 

If McCann can prove that he's now a .270/.330/.750 hitter, then yeah, Grandal would be a waste of resources. Catcher is last on my priority list. They need to stabilize the rotation, first and foremost. 

I don't know how to find xBABIP, but this is a useful read.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Going to be very interesting if the Sox can develop Reed and his bat. The power was always real.

I don’t think there’s any developing.  He basically has a half season or less to show something.  If he doesn’t, he likely goes the way of Alonso and Palka.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And no Abreu?

Greg says, “For shame!”

And Ron would be ecstatic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t think there’s any developing.  He basically has a half season or less to show something.  If he doesn’t, he likely goes the way of Alonso and Palka.

150 career PAs in the bigs.. not like he was really given a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×