7/13 GT - Sox @ OAK - 3:07 PM CST

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Exactly.   

He needs to catch and hit 5 times per week.  

People have quickly soured on Collins seeing what McCann has done for half a season. 

Pump the brakes a little :  1) Maybe McCann is not as great as his BABIP indicates 2) Collins is still our future full time catcher until we get confirmation McCann has signed a long term deal here. 

Lord help us all if this is true. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think there’s a chance he’s a future full time catcher.  Platoon catcher is his best bet, if he’s lucky.  I just don’t think the swing/approach is going to work at this level.  He seems to react to the pitch too late and doesn’t have the bat speed/path to make up for the delay.

His eye/OBP (and to an extent his power when he does make contact) will always keep him above water in that aspect, but a few of us warned others here how he was going to be up here. He will never be a high average hitter. Hell, probably not even average. 

Edited by SoxAce

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think there’s a chance he’s a future full time catcher.  Platoon catcher is his best bet, if he’s lucky.  I just don’t think the swing/approach is going to work at this level.  He seems to react to the pitch too late and doesn’t have the bat speed/path to make up for the delay.

How many catchers are anything other than platoon catchers? This one happens to hit left handed, the LH side of a platoon behind the plate is the hard one to find.

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Exactly.   

He needs to catch and hit 5 times per week.  

People have quickly soured on Collins seeing what McCann has done for half a season. 

Pump the brakes a little :  1) Maybe McCann is not as great as his BABIP indicates 2) Collins is still our future full time catcher until we get confirmation McCann has signed a long term deal here. 

I would like to see him at DH more often, if we're willing to bat Reed cleanup then what's the harm of losing the DH one day, but if he's catching 1 or 2 times a week and working with McCann and the pitching staff for the next few months, I might be ok with that.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Very well possible.  But can't find out until he plays.   

But It's asinine to write him off based on sporadic 25-30 ABs in a 4 week run at the Big League Level 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

How many catchers are anything other than platoon catchers? This one happens to hit left handed, the LH side of a platoon behind the plate is the hard one to find.

I can understand Ricky not playing him when the Sox had to face a plethora of lefties at the time (and why some of us were baffled why he was called up because of that). Him not playing like yesterday for example against Fiers is what I have an issue with. 

Just now, OneDog847 said:

Herrera looks like toast. Sox will probably have to pull an Alonso with him next year. 

There are relievers who look like toast one year and then look better the next year. Holland got off to an awful start with St. louis last year and has turned around to be the reliever we should have signed this year instead of Herrera. See how he is next May and then we'll talk.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

Herrera looks like toast. Sox will probably have to pull an Alonso with him next year. 

Definitely time to IL him.  Nothing looks smooth for him.  Quite an awful signing with a lot of red flags screaming stay away.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Plus it’s been barely any games. It is worth giving him time to learn etc. the overreactions some people have on this board is just crazy. 

Especially for a team that isn’t contending this year. 

• Like 2

Just now, SoxAce said:

I can understand Ricky not playing him when the Sox had to face a plethora of lefties at the time (and why some of us were baffled why he was called up because of that). Him not playing like yesterday for example against Fiers is what I have an issue with. 

Probably should have just recalled Seby after the Castillo injury

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Plus it’s been barely any games. It is worth giving him time to learn etc. the overreactions some people have on this board is just crazy. 

Especially for a team that isn’t contending this year. 

But he’s not learning much playing 2 times a week at this level. This is someone that only had an OPS of .750 in May and June, which is mediocre in that league. When he was promoted, he was far from a “he has nothing left to prove”.  The poor guy struck out in 22 of his 37 at bats vs LHP 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

But he’s not learning much playing 2 times a week at this level. This is someone that only had an OPS of .750 in May and June, which is mediocre in that league. When he was promoted, he was far from a “he has nothing left to prove”.  The poor guy struck out in 22 of his 37 at bats vs LHP 

While he also has things to learn with the bat at AAA, he also has things that for his position are perhaps more important - working with a big league rotation. 

As i said, I would like him DHing more often and getting some more plate appearances, but he already looks defensively better than Castillo so we may as well give him time to work at that.

At least sporting goods stores are now selling Sox jerseys again, this year it’s Jimenez.  

And the wild card talk can be thrown out.

Last couple of years at the I-88 outlet mall, Abreu was being outsold by Maddon...and in the Quad Cities, the White Sox are definitely behind the Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers, Twins and maybe even the Royals.

21 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Good points. 

Do you think Collins has any future with the Sox? I just don't see the point of playing him in Charlotte during a tank year. 

I think given how he looks. He has a lot to work out with his swing. I would send him down, tell him to look at this as a learning experience, work with coaching to make adjustments accordingly that will help him succeed the next time through and "we'll see ya in September". 

I would never write somebody off over such a small sample size. However, he needs to overhaul his swing/approach and asking him to do that here isn't fair to anyone. Him K'ing nearly every AB at this level isn't fair to anyone either.