Sign in to follow this  
gusguyman

Could the White Sox hire Dave Dombrowski?

7 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Wait... what?

Seriously. The tigers were more old school under him, but he hired Alex Cora. Does anyone actually believe he’s Anti or just didn’t utilize them until Boston.

9 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I wouldn’t want DD leading my team’s baseball ops dept if I were an owner. His willingness to trade top prospects and his reluctance to analytics would eliminate him from consideration but he would still be someone that I’d want contributing to team in some way, I’d still want his opinions on players and free agents. 

He may very well feel that being a special assistant is beneath him. 

And it doesn't pay as well.

It appears the Bosox will at a minimum be retooling on the fly and moving forward without JDM. Could leave some room on the stage for other teams who are ready to step up and compete. Boston will be hard-pressed to spend more with the largest payroll around. The money spent on Sale and Eovaldi is not looking like a good investment right now. Betts is not sticking around for a home team deal but will go on the market next year. Big spending does not always turn out well. 

The Red Sox would have been in payroll hell back then if the Dodgers didn‘t bail them out by taking Crawford, Beckett and A-Gon off their hands. I don‘t think front offices nowadays are stupid enough to bail them out again. They will have to rebuild after next year.

2 hours ago, pcq said:

It appears the Bosox will at a minimum be retooling on the fly and moving forward without JDM. Could leave some room on the stage for other teams who are ready to step up and compete. Boston will be hard-pressed to spend more with the largest payroll around. The money spent on Sale and Eovaldi is not looking like a good investment right now. Betts is not sticking around for a home team deal but will go on the market next year. Big spending does not always turn out well. 

I think any of us would trade a place in payroll purgatory for a bit for 4 titles in 15 years, 2 of which came in the last 6 years.

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I think any of us would trade a place in payroll purgatory for a bit for 4 titles in 15 years, 2 of which came in the last 6 years.

Nope.  You have to win the World Series with the lowest payroll and the #1 farm system in baseball or it just wasn't worth it.  

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Nope.  You have to win the World Series with the lowest payroll and the #1 farm system in baseball or it just wasn't worth it.  

If you didn't win the WS with the lowest payroll and best farm, did you really win it?

It's Jason's birthday. He's probably been drinking. Give him a break for not being engaged. 

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

If you didn't win the WS with the lowest payroll and best farm, did you really win it?

Hell no.  They paid too much money for good players and traded unproven players for proven players.  GM's who win the World Series are really just a bunch of dopes.  

19 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hell no.  They paid too much money for good players and traded unproven players for proven players.  GM's who win the World Series are really just a bunch of dopes.  

They always  had one of the best farm systems that produced great talents from Pedroia to Betts. Their farm right now is in shambles and their big money acquisitions don’t look so great. Pointing that out doesn’t take away from their success. 🤷‍♂️

On 9/10/2019 at 5:40 PM, pcq said:

If Kenny-Hahn are adamant about turning Eloy into serviceable outfielder, they ought to bring in JDM to compensate during the times Eloy will be on the disabled list.  

Mookie Betts ?

Be still my beating heart.

Edited by GradMc

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

If Sox hire DD, Hawk will turn over in his urn before he even dies.

Back then, they should have fired Hawk and kept Dombrowski. Why Reinsdorf believed in and listened to Hawk is beyond me. Hawk in the FO was truly one of the dumbest moves of the White Sox ownership.

Right. Hawk believed that a team should never hire a non ex-player for any F.O. gig.