Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I like Castellanos...I just really get apprehensive over the idea that he is the piece to roll with the next 4 years. Though he would likely leave us space for the churn of finding some pitching/bullpen options each year.

I've come around on the Castellanos idea. And if you decide you want someone else in RF after a year or two, you can likely trade him if you want to go with someone else.

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I've come around on the Castellanos idea. And if you decide you want someone else in RF after a year or two, you can likely trade him if you want to go with someone else.

I honestly don't think Castellanos would be that bad defensively in RF. And since the Sox now have Grandal, I'm fine with getting a right handed bat to fill RF, especially considering how good Castellanos is.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I like Castellanos...I just really get apprehensive over the idea that he is the piece to roll with the next 4 years. Though he would likely leave us space for the churn of finding some pitching/bullpen options each year.

If only his defense wasn't so horrible. I know he'd cost a lot more, but he'd be worth the addition cost in this scenario. 

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

What is the benefit to doing that over trading for a guy on 1 year deal that won't cost much like Joc or Peralta?  Peralta, for example, will be cheaper than Castellanos in 2020 ($8-9M vs. ~$15M), 1 year commitment versus likely 4 year commitment, good defender vs. bad defender, great versus right handed pitching versus not good versus right handed pitching, leaves RF open in 2020 for better player (Betts, Springer, Brantley) vs. paying good money for a DH to plug RF for next 4 seasons.

It may be tad easier to acquire a FA, and who knows how motivated AZ would be to trade Peralta, but he is just a much better fit, IMO.  

Also, FWIW, Peralta also has higher career wrC+ 116 vs 112 to Castellanos. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

What the benefit to doing that over trading for a guy on 1 year deal that won't cost much like Joc or Peralta?  Peralta, for example, will be cheaper that Castellanos in 2020 ($8-9M vs. ~$15M), 1 year commitment versus likely 4 year commitment, good defender vs. bad defender, great versus right handed pitching versus not good versus right handed pitching, leaves RF open in 2020 for better player (Betts, Springer, Brantley) vs. paying good money for a DH to plug RF for next 4 seasons.

It may be tad easier to acquire a FA, and who knows how motivated AZ would be to trade Peralta, but he is just a much better fit, IMO.  

I'm not really advocating for one way or the other. I do prefer another left-handed hitter that can play at least average defense. But if they did sign Castellanos, I wouldn't hate it due to his bat.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What is the benefit to doing that over trading for a guy on 1 year deal that won't cost much like Joc or Peralta?  Peralta, for example, will be cheaper than Castellanos in 2020 ($8-9M vs. ~$15M), 1 year commitment versus likely 4 year commitment, good defender vs. bad defender, great versus right handed pitching versus not good versus right handed pitching, leaves RF open in 2020 for better player (Betts, Springer, Brantley) vs. paying good money for a DH to plug RF for next 4 seasons.

You make some good points, and I agree with most of it. But if you were a betting man, who would you say has a higher wRC+ next year between the two guys?

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

You make some good points, and I agree with most of it. But if you were a betting man, who would you say has a higher wRC+ next year between the two guys?

I was gonna say the same thing.  But I also feel like it would be close enough where Peralta's defense would make him more valuable.

Well, I'm looking at what Nick can do moving forward and I agree with you, there is reason to be concerned.I'm also not sure if our FO feels comfortable trading for Joc with only one year left. RF is a problem for us and I don't see any great solutions at this point. I don't think we will be able to sign Betts or Springer next year. 

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Peralta is one of my favorite ideas too. Joc is my favorite I think. But fine with any of them really.

Edited by cjgalloway

25 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I am in fact a betting man.  I think it will be close, but not nearly enough to swap me to Castellanos based on all the other factors I described in the post you quoted.

22 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well, I'm looking at what Nick can do moving forward and I agree with you, there is reason to be concerned.I'm also not sure if our FO feels comfortable trading for Joc with only one year left. RF is a problem for us and I don't see any great solutions at this point. I don't think we will be able to sign Betts or Springer next year. 

I actually think the 1 year left is a benefit.  Plenty of good options for RF on the FA market next offseason.  Gives Adolfo one more year to pop.  I think it makes a ton of sense.  Plugging RF with a DH and committing to a poor defensive OF is not something I am super interested in, though I guess you could always trade Castellanos.  I wouldn't HATE the move, just think there are better options that should be attainable for a reasonable ask. 

I am in fact a betting man.  I think it will be close, but not nearly enough to swap me to Castellanos based on all the other factors I described in the post you quoted.

Yeah, we're on the same page. The good news is that there are a lot of options. Like we've said before, all of the options have flaws, but we will be able to upgrade the RF position one way or another. That's what makes landing Wheeler so important. If we miss on him, I'm not going to feel good about our rotation.

23 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, we're on the same page. The good news is that there are a lot of options. Like we've said before, all of the options have flaws, but we will be able to upgrade the RF position one way or another. That's what makes landing Wheeler so important. If we miss on him, I'm not going to feel good about our rotation.

Yah, I still think Ryu would be a decent fallback option to Wheeler.  Honestly, if Ryu stays healthy (big if), there is an argument that could be made that he is the better pitcher.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I still think Ryu would be a decent fallback option to Wheeler.  Honestly, if Ryu stays healthy (big if), there is an argument that could be made that he is the better pitcher.  

True. And his injury history doesn't scare me as much when we have Kopech and eventually Rodon coming back during the year.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

True. And his injury history doesn't scare me as much when we have Kopech and eventually Rodon coming back during the year.

Right, I think it starts to make sense to roll the dice of Ryu if Wheeler starts to approach Corbin territory.  Can't say I'd blame the Sox too much for bowing out at that point, though I don't expect it to get there.

I do think if you go the Ryu route, your 2nd SP add needs to be someone a little more interesting.  I've felt that the Sox priority needs to be to add 1 high end SP + one 1 year-deal SP.  But if Ryu is the guy because Wheeler gets too expensive, maybe you splurge a little bit on that 2nd piece and go with someone like Hamels  or Gibson who may require a 2 year deal.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right, I think it starts to make sense to roll the dice of Ryu if Wheeler starts to approach Corbin territory.  Can't say I'd blame the Sox too much for bowing out at that point, though I don't expect it to get there.

I do think if you go the Ryu route, your 2nd SP add needs to be someone a little more interesting.  I've felt that the Sox priority needs to be to add 1 high end SP + one 1 year-deal SP.  But if Ryu is the guy because Wheeler gets too expensive, maybe you splurge a little bit on that 2nd piece and go with someone like Hamels  or Gibson who may require a 2 year deal.  

Good call.  I don't expect it to reach Corbin territory either. If it does, who is going to pay him that?  Minnesota?  I think the Angels are hoping for one of the big two.

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.