Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they're not willing to hand out even a $100M contract, let alone a $150M contract, they were never serious about competing anyway. 

I wasn’t the one who said this offseason was crucial to open our window. I wasn’t the guy who said starting this next season the goal was to start winning and get to the playoffs. That word was mentioned by the Sox at the end of last season and going into this winter. Mazara does not accomplish this. He’s a bench player maybe on a contending team not a starter on one.

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

Don’t agree at all. He’s a proven innings eater, a veteran, he doesn’t rely on overpowering stuff so he’ll age better, he’s had success in the AL, etc. I don’t get why people wanted the unproven, unreliable Wheeler but not Keuchel.

Are you serious?  Wheeler is coming off two really good seasons and has elite stuff.  Keuchel is a guy with fringe stuff who could fall off a cliff at any point.  I don’t get your argument whatsoever.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

So again, frustrating because I can't provide the URL filtered, but Fielding Bible made some updates to DRS so it's interesting to look at the adjustments.

If you filter for RF and add a minimum innings of like 600 (true RFers), you can see it puts Mazara at -4. Others at -4 aren Christian Yellich. Behind him at -5 are Fowler, Markakis and Blackmon. Adam Eaton is at -3.

So it's interesting to look at. He's not plus, but he's around others that we'd certainly feel are playable. His arm may be doing some work there which is good.

Offense will be the whole thing man, he's just gotta hit. This is definitely his fulcrum year so it will be interesting.

Yeah, hes not a horrible defender no matter how many times people argue otherwise. 

Trade is fine assuming they're not done. I really dont understand why people think once you're in the big leagues you cant get better but minor leaguers will get much better. I've never understood that premise. The kid being in the big leagues at 20 shouldnt be held against him. Not in love with the move if hes all their doing. Dont mind the move if they do more. 

Fans always love their prospects more than they should. As someone else said, people are all high on basebe and Walker developing and they're like 1 year younger than mazara.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Are you serious?  Wheeler is coming off two really good seasons and has elite stuff.  Keuchel is a guy with fringe stuff who could fall off a cliff at any point.  I don’t get your argument whatsoever.

This offseason, the entire MLB essentially recognized that Wheeler is a better SP target than Keuchel but somehow The Sir doesn’t get it.  Amazing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Keuchel had 0.8 WAR last year in 112.2 IP. If you're going to b**** about Mazara, you have to b**** about Keuchel. 

But yeah, spend $20M on a pitcher worth less than 1.5 fWAR over 190 innings. 

Come on dude, starting the season late was always going to come at a cost.  I’m not a huge fan by any means, but throw his 2019 stats out the window.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

So there is no possibility to sign good starting pitching to add to that core?

Yeah? Wtf. If they're not spending in RF they better be spending somewhere. We didnt sit through a miserable decade where the sox spent nothing so they could to cheap and then still spend nothing when the rebuild is ending.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

What has being a top 15 prospect done for Mazara so far in 4 years in the majors?  He hasn’t hit 1 WAR in a single season.

What are your predictions for Mazara’s offensive output within his next two seasons with the Sox?

I'm not sure if Mazara will ever reach his potential, but I also think he's already produced more than Walker ever will. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah? Wtf. If they're not spending in RF they better be spending somewhere. We didnt sit through a miserable decade where the sox spent nothing so they could to cheap and then still spend nothing when the rebuild is ending.

You cannot possibly say the White Sox will "Still spend nothing when the rebuild is ending" while looking at this trade. This is literally looking at options they could spend on, better players, who would cost more money, and taking a worse player because he costs less.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Here is my common sense take on this. I actually think we are in on price. I think this deal allows Boston to pitch in more salary back in whatever trade we work with them. 

If this was the case then you would think they would have tried working a 3 team trade if you are getting at sending Mazara to Boston.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm not sure if Mazara will ever reach his potential, but I also think he's already produced more than Walker ever will. 

Just remember, we said this over and over and over again, and then we said it about Samardzija and Shields.

The odds are it's right, because it's going to be right 80% of the time. But it's a fundamentally flawed strategy.

• Like 1

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

But it’s not all about Walker!  Sure, some people think the Sox gave up too much by giving up Walker.  Personally, I’m more disappointed because I don’t believe that Mazara improves the Sox very much as opposed to other options that are still available.

The real question is —  what does Mazara do for this team in making it a contender and how is he better than other options that are still available?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Here is my common sense take on this. I actually think we are in on price. I think this deal allows Boston to pitch in more salary back in whatever trade we work with them. 

Just me but I live part of year in New England. No White Sox rumors I have seen lately.  But I don't see us trading w Boston since they want young staring pitching so you can  bet Cease would be their target. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

But it’s not all about Walker!  Sure, some people think the Sox gave up too much by giving up Walker.  Personally, I’m more disappointed because I don’t believe that Mazara improves the Sox very much as opposed to other options that are still available.

The real question is —  what does Mazara do for this team in making it a contender and how is he better than other options that are still available?

It's not about Walker even though it was direct trade. Jesus christ. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You cannot possibly say the White Sox will "Still spend nothing when the rebuild is ending" while looking at this trade. This is literally looking at options they could spend on, better players, who would cost more money, and taking a worse player because he costs less.

Exactly the point of my previous post.  Thanks for wording it better than me.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just remember, we said this over and over and over again, and then we said it about Samardzija and Shields.

The odds are it's right, because it's going to be right 80% of the time. But it's a fundamentally flawed strategy.

"We" never said anything. I never liked Shark or Shields. I actually hated Shark before, during and after his Sox tenure. I also have no idea how that relates to this trade. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

That is precisely what I thought and posted in the thread, regarding trading for a starting pitcher. With all of our regular positions now filled, there is no need for Boston to include Benintendi, in a deal for Price. If Bloom kicks in enough money, Price would be a very reasonable solution. He wouldn't require one of those long term, huge contracts, which our front office is understandably wary of making, with a pitcher. 

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's not about Walker even though it was direct trade. Jesus christ. 

Walker is gone and I don’t miss him all that much.

Once again, what does Mazara do for this team that is trying to win during their competitive window as opposed to the potentially better options still very much available?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 hours ago, mataipaepae said:

What if Mazara is looked at as a DH?

Still bring in a Joc peterson type to play RF. And sign a bumgartner 

Then this trade is even worse because you could have gotten Eric Thames for like $5 million and no prospect and he's a much better hitter against RHP.

Edited by TomPickle

56 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

He's also 24 and a former top 15 prospect. I don't think there's any doubt that Mazara has a lot more talent than Walker. 

Why is this a Mazara vs Walker story?  We could have traded Steele for other things.  There is nothing mutually exclusive about these two players.