2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

36 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

8-15 with Lauri in the line up. 9-11 when he's hurt.  He's a good player, but he doesn't fit. Of course most, if not all of the current roster will be gone the next time the Bulls are a serious basketball team.

This is very true - the front office needs to move its young players or hope we are just going through major developmental growing pains (I don't think that is the case on many of the Bulls young players).  Lauri is still 23 so he's one of the few guys not named Lavine/Pwill who I can see taking a big step forward - that said - he is such a bad passer and has other limitations. I don't know what they are - cause there are times he flashes a skill set much broader than a catch and shoot big - but you see so many periods with none of it.

And man - Wendell Carter and Coby regressed so much this year.  Coby could learn from it and we see him break through a while (even though he has very evident flaws that I don't think he'll ever overcome - the type of flaws that will hinder him from being anything other than a real good sixth man - imo) but Carter.....dude just looks broke (relative to what he could be).  Mentally he's just battling himself.  

On 3/18/2021 at 8:36 AM, Balta1701 said:

Gage and Lonzo Ball = Caulfield and Tatis.

Discuss.

What is said is Lonzo isn't even that good - I just can't stand watching the Bulls without any PG.  Sometimes I wonder - what would Lauri look like with a real PG.  What would Lavine be if he had a guy who could actually take pressure off of him and effectively handle the rock late in games.

The thing is - Lonzo - while an improved shooter - still is an EXTREMELY passive player.  His usage rates are terrible and while I think he has fantastic court vision, good D, and ability to get to the hole when he wants....mentally he doens't use that ability and he'll never be great if he doesn't find aggression (and after a few years in the league - who knows whether that will ever come up).  He'll just be a better highly limited player the Bulls have.  

Reality is they should be swinging bigger - look at Indiana and see if they could make a big deal happen. Just don't give up a lotto pick.  

26 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is very true - the front office needs to move its young players or hope we are just going through major developmental growing pains (I don't think that is the case on many of the Bulls young players).  Lauri is still 23 so he's one of the few guys not named Lavine/Pwill who I can see taking a big step forward - that said - he is such a bad passer and has other limitations. I don't know what they are - cause there are times he flashes a skill set much broader than a catch and shoot big - but you see so many periods with none of it.

And man - Wendell Carter and Coby regressed so much this year.  Coby could learn from it and we see him break through a while (even though he has very evident flaws that I don't think he'll ever overcome - the type of flaws that will hinder him from being anything other than a real good sixth man - imo) but Carter.....dude just looks broke (relative to what he could be).  Mentally he's just battling himself.  

Coby isn't a point guard. I still think he can be a bigger Ben Gordon. I never understood the Wendell Carter love anyone had. I know he was very young when drafted and obviously still is, he just seems like he is what he is to me.

I don't really like this at all. I don't like paying premiums for B level players, there better be some really good protections for the 1st round picks especially this year. 

Now, I am not a basketball expert, and a lot of people dislike the way orlando has used players. But Vucevic is a good player, but now we don't have 2 1st round picks should there ever be a great player. We don't have a 1st to potentially draft a great player this year. We have Zach LAvine and Vucevic...so we may be the orlando magic.

If they were able to keep this as a top 15 pick, that is easier to take. But also , f***g  tank this year to not get top 8.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't really like this at all. I don't like paying premiums for B level players, there better be some really good protections for the 1st round picks especially this year. 

Now, I am not a basketball expert, and a lot of people dislike the way orlando has used players. But Vucevic is a good player, but now we don't have 2 1st round picks should there ever be a great player. We don't have a 1st to potentially draft a great player this year. We have Zach LAvine and Vucevic...so we may be the orlando magic.

If they were able to keep this as a top 15 pick, that is easier to take. But also , f***g  tank this year to not get top 8.

If Vuc was 25 Id be fine with this. But at 30 it makes no sense and seems like making a trade to make a trade. This years first and Carter would have been my max offer.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah hopefully the picks are protected. I wouldn't say the Bulls overpaid, but they definitely spent a lot of draft capital. At least it seems like AK has picked a direction for the franchise.

I don't know, I guess I may just be behind a bit in how NBA is starting to use bigs again, and bulls have obviously been destroyed over and over there.

Give me a day of takes, I'm sorting through my feelings. Bulls don't really make trades I'm not sure what this feeling is.

Just now, bmags said:

Is Vuc really a B player though? He's having an incredible year. I'd say he's probably the 4th best big in the league right now after Joker, Embiid, and Davis. 

He's shooting over 40% from 3 too so he's certainly not a dinosaur. 

Edited by scs787
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yeah hopefully the picks are protected. I wouldn't say the Bulls overpaid, but they definitely spent a lot of draft capital. At least it seems like AK has picked a direction for the franchise.

Vucevic is definitely worth stuff like this, it's all about choices for the bulls, though. But we have certainly been doing the "just wait and see if it gets better" for a long time, though, I get that.

• Like 1

Pros: Team is going for the playoffs, which can be a signal to star players "come join Zach/Vuc", which we saw in Brooklyn. If they get Ball, well, I'm digging a lineup of Ball-Zach-Williams-Thad-Vuc.

The big issue is suddenly cap space, but we've seen teams make it work.

Cons: Betting a lot of draft capital - if those picks aren't protected, well, this is mad risky.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Anytime you get the best player in a deal, you have to take the chance.  I think the East is potentially more wide open in the next few years than people know.  The Sixers will likely blow it up at some point as they continue to NOT win a title, the Bucks are not going to keep their extremely bloated payroll also to NOT win a title.  Other than the Nets, every other team is highly beatable in the East.  

Vuc isn't a KD or Lebron level player but he's a beast.  This is the same management that drafted Jokic and there are plenty of similarities between the two.  He's also signed cheaply so if it doesn't work out, he's a great trade chip. 

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Pros: Team is going for the playoffs, which can be a signal to star players "come join Zach/Vuc", which we saw in Brooklyn. If they get Ball, well, I'm digging a lineup of Ball-Zach-Williams-Thad-Vuc.

The big issue is suddenly cap space, but we've seen teams make it work.

Cons: Draft capital - if those picks aren't protected, well, this is mad risky.

not...not quite the same

I say bye bye Carter - don't let the door hit you.  Need to let the whole thing absorb - I'm just glad they are swinging.  Like Bmags - I'd prefer a better player - but the good thing is they are trying to make the team better and not sitting on their hands.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

End of the day, love them being aggresive. 

Yeah, I'd give me a break today, the bulls haven't made a trade like this since like...jalen rose? Does ole John pivot-foot Salmons count? I guess he was actually making team better.

I'm ignoring Porter.

Team building in NBA is interesting and just getting good guys definitely seems warranted over whatever this all was. But man I wanted a first rounder for this draft...bad.

• bmags locked this topic