Burger to start at Charlotte...

caulfield12

White Sox will send Jake Burger to Triple-A Charlotte amid other aggressive minor-league assignments

Jake Burger hasn't played in a game since Class A in 2017, but the White Sox believe he's ready for Triple A in 2021.

Might be even more surprising than Vaughn starting season on the big league roster.

https://theathletic.com/2553200/2021/04/29/white-sox-will-send-jake-burger-to-triple-a-charlotte-amid-other-aggressive-minor-league-assignments/?source=freedailyemail

Edited by caulfield12

Obviously, most of his offensive progress has been out of the public eye and under the team’s watch.

“We’ve always believed in the offensive ability,” Getz said. “He made some adjustments to his body, he really has. You look at spring training, and as major-league camp progressed, he continued to improve there. He still had some offensive adjustments that needed to be made, and he’s done that. He’s hitting balls to all fields, he’s running well, he’s making adjustments with two strikes.”

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

White Sox will send Jake Burger to Triple-A Charlotte amid other aggressive minor-league assignments

Jake Burger hasn't played in a game since Class A in 2017, but the White Sox believe he's ready for Triple A in 2021.

Might be even more surprising than Vaughn starting season on the big league roster.

https://theathletic.com/2553200/2021/04/29/white-sox-will-send-jake-burger-to-triple-a-charlotte-amid-other-aggressive-minor-league-assignments/?source=freedailyemail

Whoa.  Wouldn’t it be something if he’s something.

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Obviously, most of his offensive progress has been out of the public eye and under the team’s watch.

“We’ve always believed in the offensive ability,” Getz said. “He made some adjustments to his body, he really has. You look at spring training, and as major-league camp progressed, he continued to improve there. He still had some offensive adjustments that needed to be made, and he’s done that. He’s hitting balls to all fields, he’s running well, he’s making adjustments with two strikes.”

So, he discovered "vegetables," and "cardio?"

Good for him. I'd congratulate him, but I'm stunned that a professional athlete didn't discover this earlier. Or that this org didn't do anything about this earlier. Hey, better late than never, I guess. 

15 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

So, he discovered "vegetables," and "cardio?"

Good for him. I'd congratulate him, but I'm stunned that a professional athlete didn't discover this earlier. Or that this org didn't do anything about this earlier. Hey, better late than never, I guess. 

I'm kinda with you but better late than never.  Sometimes you gotta learn what you got to appreciate it I guess.  I'm pulling for him despite my comments about him in the past, it can only help Chicago to have an interesting trade bait candidate.  I say trade bait because I have no idea how he'd fit into the already log jammed 1B/DH spots.

35 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm kinda with you but better late than never.  Sometimes you gotta learn what you got to appreciate it I guess.  I'm pulling for him despite my comments about him in the past, it can only help Chicago to have an interesting trade bait candidate.  I say trade bait because I have no idea how he'd fit into the already log jammed 1B/DH spots.

I can understand that a younger guy wouldn't be able to appreciate the gift of being able to play a game for a living.

I'm more annoyed that this FO was too careless to help this young man sooner. After all, you've got the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics right here in Chicago. Failing that, you've got the Gatorade Sports Science Institute in Barrington. That this FO failed to get this kid help YEARS AGO is embarrassing. And if a kid can't be bothered to take care of his body, then maybe he doesn't need to play a sport for a living.

To your point about being trade bait, I'd have him play a few innings at an OF corner. At this point, what could it hurt?

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I can understand that a younger guy wouldn't be able to appreciate the gift of being able to play a game for a living.

I'm more annoyed that this FO was too careless to help this young man sooner. After all, you've got the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics right here in Chicago. Failing that, you've got the Gatorade Sports Science Institute in Barrington. That this FO failed to get this kid help YEARS AGO is embarrassing. And if a kid can't be bothered to take care of his body, then maybe he doesn't need to play a sport for a living.

To your point about being trade bait, I'd have him play a few innings at an OF corner. At this point, what could it hurt?

When was the front office supposed to help him sooner though?  He basically spent all of 2018 & 2019 rehabbing from his Achilles injury and then got into shape prior to last season.

The front office can't force him to eat healthy, burger is not an idiot and knows that eating burgers (no pun:)) is bad for him, it is about the discipline to not do it. 

If you’re blaming his weight for his original Achilles’ injury, that’s an argument.

Foreseeable?  Maybe...

But that willingness to battle through injury and setbacks (see Rodon or Kopech or even Giolito after first two Sox seasons) is 90% on the player and his support system.

For example, the Sonics even hired a personal assistant to keep Sean Kemp out of trouble, make sure he woke up on time fir practice, tried to temper his nightlife.  Still didn’t work, not when someone isn’t willing to change their habits.

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

When was the front office supposed to help him sooner though? 

I'd go with the second he signed for $3.8MM. After all, it behooves a team to protect their investment in a player, and to put him in the best position to maximize his abilities.

39 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

The front office can't force him to eat healthy, burger is not an idiot and knows that eating burgers (no pun:)) is bad for him, it is about the discipline to not do it. 

It did take him awhile to recognize this. For a bit there, he was looking like Dan Vogelbach.

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If you’re blaming his weight for his original Achilles’ injury, that’s an argument.

Foreseeable?  Maybe...

But that willingness to battle through injury and setbacks (see Rodon or Kopech or even Giolito after first two Sox seasons) is 90% on the player and his support system.

For example, the Sonics even hired a personal assistant to keep Sean Kemp out of trouble, make sure he woke up on time fir practice, tried to temper his nightlife.  Still didn’t work, not when someone isn’t willing to change their habits.

And thats why I congratulated him for figuring this out, eventually. Here's hoping he can yet become something of the player he was drafted to be back in 2017.

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

People are greatly mistaken about the resources and facilities available to kids in places where things like A Ball are played. 

As a kid you're also very hesitant to change something about yourself that got you into the position you're in as a first round pick. Body changes either way can hurt your career. I know people who bulked up too much in college and lost a lot of flexibility and fluidity in their swings. It's not uncommon for more beefy guys to credit that with their power and torque - not saying it's right or rational but it's not an abnormal thought. Heck mercedes is in the big leagues with that build crushing the ball. I'm not sure what good places in Chicago and Barrington do for a kid playing rookie ball and A ball in completely different places does. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People are greatly mistaken about the resources and facilities available to kids in places where things like A Ball are played. 

As a kid you're also very hesitant to change something about yourself that got you into the position you're in as a first round pick. I'm not sure what good places in Chicago and Barrington do for a kid playing rookie ball and A ball in completely different places does. 

For a mid-to-late round pick or NCAA senior who signed for $10k, I'd agree with you.

But for a guy who signed for ~$3.8MM, I'd guess that Burger had the resources to hire a dietitian and a personal trainer to get himself into better shape.

We've all read the stories about late round draftees having to scrape by on a couple hundred bucks a month. But Burger had the cash to do what he needed to do to not be a 2-legged hippo.

And yes, Burger wasn't assigned to Chicago, but the org could have gotten him in touch with the experts he clearly needed in Chicagoland. Or, Burger's from what, St Louis? I'm sure there are dietitians and personal trainers down there. Or, in Arizona, during spring training.

It wasn't that hard to do, it just required (IMO) the input from the organization that employed him. Leaving things to chance makes disappointment more likely.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

24 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I'd go with the second he signed for $3.8MM. After all, it behooves a team to protect their investment in a player, and to put him in the best position to maximize his abilities.

It did take him awhile to recognize this. For a bit there, he was looking like Dan Vogelbach.

And thats why I congratulated him for figuring this out, eventually. Here's hoping he can yet become something of the player he was drafted to be back in 2017.

I don't think it took a while to realize it, anyone knows that eating junk makes you fat just like anyone knows smoking is bad for you. 

He probably just didn't see the urgency until his body forced him to adjust as the weight was putting extra pressure on his legs. 

10 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

For a mid-to-late round pick or NCAA senior who signed for $10k, I'd agree with you.

But for a guy who signed for ~$3.8MM, I'd guess that Burger had the resources to hire a dietitian and a personal trainer to get himself into better shape.

We've all read the stories about late round draftees having to scrape by on a couple hundred bucks a month. But Burger had the cash to do what he needed to do to not be a 2-legged hippo.

And yes, Burger wasn't assigned to Chicago, but the org could have gotten him in touch with the experts he clearly needed in Chicagoland. Or, Burger's from what, St Louis? I'm sure there are dietitians and personal trainers down there. Or, in Arizona, during spring training.

It wasn't that hard to do, it just required (IMO) the input from the organization that employed him. Leaving things to chance makes disappointment more likely.

Yeah, but you're ignoring that who he was got him to where he was. 

Why not ask yermin to do those things now? Because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's the thought process of a lot of baseball players. Being a chiseled specimen isn't required in this game to be successful. Swings are fickle things. If he was working hard at his craft, in the cage and on the diamond you're less likely to ask someone to change until the success starts to disappear or there's a reason to.

And an Achilles injury, better yet two, is really just bad luck. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, but you're ignoring that who he was got him to where he was. 

Why not ask yermin to do those things now? Because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's the thought process of a lot of baseball players. Being a chiseled specimen isn't required in this game to be successful. Swings are fickle things. If he was working hard at his craft, in the cage and on the diamond you're less likely to ask someone to change until the success starts to disappear or there's a reason to.

I understand what you're saying with respect to, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But I don't think that comparing Yermin to Burger applies all that much. Yermin's basically been a positionless player, and/or a Catcher or 1B or DH most of his career. In other words, largely stationary.

By contrast, Burger at 3rd required/requires good lateral movement, the ability to react quickly to hard-hit balls, the speed to charge bunts/swinging bunts, and the physical agility to make all the right throws in a game.

As I see it, he HAD TO get into better shape, if in fact he was going to be a 3rd baseman. Given that there were/are other players in line to play 1st when he was drafted, for him to live up to his draft status, he had to become a 3rd baseman. Or a corner OFer, barring that.

Which meant for him to be in shape enough to get the job done. That said, it sounds/looks like he's finally put in the work. Good on him for that.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete