Willie's wasted speed.

Palehosefan

Willie has loads of speed. Its just completely wasted. He can't steal bases, he can't bunt. Jason I know you are a big fan of Willies, but wouldn't you agree he's completely wasting his speed? Willie could be the catalyst for Ozzie ball, unfortunately he's the catalyst for the version of Ozzie ball we are playing right now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Willie has loads of speed. Its just completely wasted. He can't steal bases, he can't bunt. Jason I know you are a big fan of Willies, but wouldn't you agree he's completely wasting his speed? Willie could be the catalyst for Ozzie ball, unfortunately he's the catalyst for the version of Ozzie ball we are playing right now.

Actually Willie can steal bases alright.

But he is not Carlos Beltran.

And with his pathetic Slugg. % he needs to be Carlos Beltran.

If Willie wants to be a 70 SB/10 CS man, he is gonna have to get a whole a lot smarter and a lot more aggressive.

Willie got thrown out by 2 miles earlier in this game.

That should NEVER happen to a guy with his speed.

Not saying he should make it every time. But it should at least be a close play.

Obviously, he's got no clue how to build a leadoff, read a pitcher and steal the base.

Get him a base-stealing coach this winter.

Willie can't steal bases, thats why he's at 11 on the year.

I suppose you'd rather he steal 20 bases and get thrown out 20 times as Derek Lee did a few years back?

Give me a guy who steals 19 in 20 attempts over someone who steals 100 in 150 attempts.

wow, a lot of idiots posting in this thread.

Harris has had success stealing bases his whole career. his problem isn't knowing how to streal, but having the confidence to do so.

ever since June rolled around, he's received less playing time for no reason whatsoever. that caused him to get into a slump (while learning how to play CF). so now, he's' in a mindset where whenever he gets a chance and gets on base, he can't blow it and doesn't want to get thrown out.

this is all Guillen's fault IMO. he sat him earlier for no reason and played with his head. if Harris wasn't benched and was playing everyday up through now, you are talking about him having 20-25 steals right now.

Harris came into the season with all the confidence in the world to play ... he's lost a lot of that.

so now, he's' in a mindset where whenever he gets a chance and gets on base, he can't blow it and doesn't want to get thrown out.

this is all Guillen's fault IMO.

Guess again.

He is a 26yo major leaguer engulfed in a pennant race.

Excuses I do not give a s*** about. Willie's failures are all Willie.

Get. The. Job. Done. Now.

Confidence is such a big part of the game.

Ask Willie.

Ask Jose.

Ask Pollite, who gripped on the baseball last night tighter then I don't know what when walking the winning run in.

CONFIDENCE is what allows you to reach your potential. If you don't have it, I don't care what skills you have, you're wasting them without the confidence to go out there and do it.

Ask Willie.

Ask Jose.

Ask Pollite, who gripped on the baseball last night tighter then I don't know what when walking the winning run in.

CONFIDENCE is what allows you to reach your potential.  If you don't have it, I don't care what skills you have, you're wasting them without the confidence to go out there and do it.

These people are multi-millionaires.

Part of being a good ML'er is having nerves of steal and unshakeable confidence.

A 6th tool, if you will.

If you don't have it, then maybe minor leagues will be more to your liking.

Produce or get the f*** off the pot, in other words.

Ask Willie.

Ask Jose.

CONFIDENCE is what allows you to reach your potential.  If you don't have it, I don't care what skills you have, you're wasting them without the confidence to go out there and do it.

I couldn't have said it better.

Willie has ZERO confidence in himself and his abilities.

These people are multi-millionaires.

Part of being a good ML'er is having nerves of steal and unshakeable confidence.

A 6th tool, if you will.

If you don't have it, then maybe minor leagues will be more to your liking.

Produce or get the f*** off the pot, in other words.

I see what Molto is trying to say. But I have to agree with this post. Willie needs to get it goin. If he was gettin the job done, his playing time wouldn't be an issue. And I totally agree with him wasting his speed. Even when he was hitting over .300, I didn't feel he was being as agressive on the basepaths as he should.

Willie also needs to have fun when playing. Every time I see him on 1st base I don’t see him having fun whatsoever. The guy needs to relax and have confidence in himself. I believe young Aaron has more stolen bases than Willie does. Rowand has fun out there that’s why he’s been hitting doubles consistently and deserves the #1 spot.

Ask Willie.

Ask Jose.

How come we have all the s***ty players who lack confidence?

Willie can't steal bases, thats why he's at 11 on the year. He should just luck into 20 SB's by now with his speed. He's terrified to even try and run, he has no idea how to get a good jump.

That seems like an issue with the coaching staff for me. If they cant take a guy with that much speed and teach him to steal bases then it's on them.

Willie should talk to Rowand about stealing bases. Rowand seems to have a lot of guile at reading the pitchers, something that Harris totally lacks. Maybe part of it is that everybody expects Willie to steal, but they aren't looking for it as much from Rowand. Still, I think if Willie can just develop the knack for it, he's going to be really good at stealing the bases and will put a lot of pressure on the defense when he's on base.

On the plus side, Willie seems to be getting on base a lot more lately.

Guess again.

He is a 26yo major leaguer engulfed in a pennant race.

Excuses I do not give a s*** about. Willie's failures are all Willie.

Get. The. Job. Done. Now.

and who the hell are you??

Back when Willie was hitting .320 he was all of the sudden benched for reasons I cant figure out and then played every once and a while..

Its not an excuse, its what happened...

I couldn't have said it better.

Willie has ZERO confidence in himself and his abilities.

Did you guys have a little talk with Willie or something??

You dont know what their confidence levels are all you have is what you ASSUME you see...

You said:

"Ever since June rolled around, he's received less playing time for no reason whatsoever.

that caused him to get into a slump."

Is this true? I thought Willie's playing time started to decrease cause he couldn't

get on base to save his life and we had to play some other guys.

If I'm wrong fine. But I don't recall Oz benching him "for no reason."

Anybody have any stats on this?

I mean Aaron is playing all the time cause he's proven he can play.

Willie and Juan have not proven anything.

I see what Molto is trying to say.  But I have to agree with this post.  Willie needs to get it goin.  If he was gettin the job done,  his playing time wouldn't be an issue.  And I totally agree with him wasting his speed.  Even when he was hitting over .300,  I didn't feel he was being as agressive on the basepaths as he should.

The house broda' speaks the truth. :headbang

Willie must come through in the pennant race Kenny Lofton-style, or be punished.