Favorite Sox Ever? MarkB?

greg775

Considering the fact the White Sox haven't exactly had the most stellar history of all teams, out there, with dozens of Hall of Famers, I was wondering if Mark Buehrle has become your favorite Sox player of all time.

He gets the ball and pitches it w/out bleeping around.

He has a good personality with the media and fans.

He has never been a brat with his contract.

Mark B is creeping into my top five Sox of all time.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 19, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)
Considering the fact the White Sox haven't exactly had the most stellar history of all teams, out there, with dozens of Hall of Famers, I was wondering if Mark Buehrle has become your favorite Sox player of all time.

He gets the ball and pitches it w/out bleeping around.

He has a good personality with the media and fans.

He has never been a brat with his contract.

Mark B is creeping into my top five Sox of all time.

I love Buehrle and everything, but I think my name speaks for itself.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 18, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
There is some guy named Frank Thomas

Yeah.....

When Buehrle wins game 300 for the Sox...then he'll rank up there with Frank in my book. Nothing against Mark, love the guy...but Frank Came up at almost the exact time I became a Sox Fan...and he's been here ever since.

If Reinsdorf lets him leave....man will I be furious. I want that scoreboard at the Cell exploding with the # 500 on it for that man.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 19, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
When Buehrle wins game 300 for the Sox...then he'll rank up there with Frank in my book.  Nothing against Mark, love the guy...but Frank Came up at almost the exact time I became a Sox Fan...and he's been here ever since.

If Reinsdorf lets him leave....man will I be furious.  I want that scoreboard at the Cell exploding with the # 500 on it for that man.

It won't be Reinsdorf that lets Frank go. Reinsdorf is the reason he is still in Chicago

Probably not the most popular opinion, but I don't think Frank is a HOF. I think his declining numbers in the past few years hurt his chances. First 6-7 years - absolute first ballot, but not anymore me thinks. Still can't wait for him to come back.

Favorite WS is Black Jack. He gave those early 90's teams their attitude. Those A's-Sox matchups back then were classic.

Loved Rudy Law, too. Hope Pods can break his SB mark (77 I believe).

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ May 19, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
Probably not the most popular opinion, but I don't think Frank is a HOF.  I think his declining numbers in the past few years hurt his chances.  First 6-7 years - absolute first ballot, but not anymore me thinks.  Still can't wait for him to come back.

Frank is a HoFer, especially with sabermetric statistics playing a much bigger role in today's game. A career OPS of just under 1.000 for 15+ years of service is almost a guarantee to be in the HoF. He was also the most dominant hitter in the game from probably 93-97, was top 2 in atleast the AL in 2000, and was very solid in 91, 92, 03, and for the half season he played last year.

Consider that his lowest OPS in a full season ever is .834, in 02. If Jermaine Dye can finish the season with an .834 OPS, he will have had a very good year, especially with his awful start thus far.

He will almost undoubtedly end up with more than 500 career homers, he already has 2000+ career hits and could be looking at 2500 before his career is over, has 1439 RBI, and will probably end up with 1800, he has scored 1300 runs and will probably end up around 1700, and his career BA will be right around .300 by the time hisi career is over.

If you go out of baseball with .300 500+ HR 1800+ RBI, 1700 R, 2500 H, .990 OPS, you will almost undoubtedly reach the Hall. The only thing keeping him out is really the fact that he did not play in the field much for the second half of his career, and that is what will keep him from getting in on the first ballot.

And, while K's are not always a huge deal, Thomas will finish his career with a K/BB of less than 1. That is pretty incredible.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ May 19, 2005 -> 12:08 AM)
Probably not the most popular opinion, but I don't think Frank is a HOF.  I think his declining numbers in the past few years hurt his chances.  First 6-7 years - absolute first ballot, but not anymore me thinks.  Still can't wait for him to come back.

Just go away.

Frank was the sole reason I became a White Sox fan in the early- to mid-90s. Since then I've had other "weekly", "monthly", and even "yearly" favorites, but Frank has always been my overall favorite.

Buehrle is definitely my favorite non-position player, but Frank is still The Man in all other facets of the team.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 19, 2005 -> 05:15 AM)
No offense to Mark.. but not a chance. Frank and Fisk are waaaaay above him, and a few others are in between at this point.

I agree, but Mark is making his way on up the list. Of course, I've got a few more ex-White Sox to include in my list than most around here.

I believe my screen name speaks for itself. Robin had a very Buehrle-esque attitude and personality. One of the endless reasons why he will be my favorite player to ever wear a Sox uni. But MB is the guy right now. Ron Kittle is another one, too. Also loved Bo and Harold and, of course, Ozzie.