Jose Contreras's Demands

DBAHO

I guess this means he's probably trade bait, unless KW decides to hang onto him;

Jose Contreras is believed to want three guaranteed seasons at between $11 million and $12 million per year in a contract extension with the White Sox, so he may be trade bait now.

"We have talked; we have not gotten too far," agent Jaime Torres said. "Jose is interested in staying in Chicago, but the market has been set [this winter]. Jose wants to stay, but it's a business, and we have to make sure his next contract is a good one." The White Sox are content to keep all six of their starters and put Brandon McCarthy into the pen to start the season, but it is a possibility that Contreras will go, perhaps for a reliever and a pitching prospect or two. Dec. 29 - 5:01 am et

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 04:15 AM)
I guess this means he's probably trade bait, unless KW decides to hang onto him;

Not necessarily. Just like when KW offered Garland a 3yr/$24M contract, that was just the beginning of negotiations. Contreras will probably come down some on his demands. Whether he comes down enough for it to be acceptable is the question.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
Not necessarily.  Just like when KW offered Garland a 3yr/$24M contract, that was just the beginning of negotiations.  Contreras will probably come down some on his demands.  Whether he comes down enough for it to be acceptable is the question.

I don't know if that's going to be the case, but hopefully it should. Jose is happy here, his family is settled in Chicago and he had the best season of his career.

Even if we can't resign him, it might just be wise to hang onto him anyways. You get 1 more season out of him at his best, and then take the 2 draft picks because he'll definitely be a type A FA next off-season, assuming the Sox offer arbitration which they definitely should.

And we've got guys like Lance Broadway and Tyler Lumsden who could possibly be ready if needed from our minors, so all this talk of getting a stud pitching prospect when we've got Brandon McCarthy and Neal Cotts in the bullpen is kinda moot right now.

I think Jose will stay this season. However, I don't think KW will sign him to an extension this offseason. McCarthy will take up Vizciano's spot in the pen while KW will try to add another lefty via free agency or likely just bring up Munoz from the minors to fill that roll. Its pretty simple actually. It was either Jose or Jon G signing an extension, since it was Jon G- this will be Jose's last year w/ the Sox.

2006 Rotation:

Buerhle, Contreras, Garland, Garcia, Vazquez

Bullpen:

Jenks, Hermy, Cotts, Pollite, McCarthy, Munoz? free agent?

2007 Rotation:

Buerhle, Garland, Garcia, Vazquez, McCarthy

In the same article, the Cubune was mooting Contreras being part of a deal for Miggy Tejada. Contreras and Uribe for Tejada, I don't know if either team would do that still. But I think both parties may still discuss it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 07:26 AM)
Garland was going to get $7-8 million in arbitration, so in essence he received a 2 year $22 million extension. Contreras looking for the same money + 1 more year is far from unreasonable. He was the guy starting each playoff series, not Garland.

Agree. And the guy has a history, unlike Jon to date, of getting the job done.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 07:26 AM)
Garland was going to get $7-8 million in arbitration, so in essence he received a 2 year $22 million extension. Contreras looking for the same money + 1 more year is far from unreasonable. He was the guy starting each playoff series, not Garland.

Dick,

Since you put it this way, for Garland to receive $11 mil per year for 2 years, I think, is a little bit too much. Why in the world Kenny want to give Garland that much money? On our pitching staff, Garland is going to be a 4th or 5th starter anyway, and you don't pay the 4th or 5th starting pitcher that much money!

At first, I thought this signing is a prelude to a huge trade with the Dodgers or the Orioles, but after hearing that Garland has a no-trade clause on the first year of his extension contract, I just don't know what Kenny is thinking.

Something gotta give. There's no way we can hold onto Contreras now. We are NOT the Yankees. We don't have that big of a budget to go over $100 mil. Perhaps, we can trade Contreras now. Perhaps, the Dodgers or the Orioles do not think Garland is that great of a pitcher. Perhaps, they think Contreras is the #1 pitcher that they want. Honestly, between the two, I rather keep Contreras. Contreras has much better stuff than Garland.

We'll see. One thing for sure, this offseason is getting more interested...

While both Garland and Contreras are talented and can both easily repeat what they did in 2005, I would hope the Sox avoid signing Contreras for the money he's asking.

Prior to 2005, neither of these guys ever reached their full potential. Now perhaps they finally have figured themselves out and will be good to go for a few years, but for a team to give three year deals for nearly $10 mil a year each to two guys who are coming off their breakout season ... that just isn't logical.

Putting faith in one of them to never revert back to their old selves is one thing, but thinking both of them are going to repeat '05 and do it through '08 is iffy.

QUOTE(Molto @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
While both Garland and Contreras are talented and can both easily repeat what they did in 2005, I would hope the Sox avoid signing Contreras for the money he's asking.

Prior to 2005, neither of these guys ever reached their full potential. Now perhaps they finally have figured themselves out and will be good to go for a few years, but for a team to give three year deals for nearly $10 mil a year each to two guys who are coming off their breakout season ... that just isn't logical.

Putting faith in one of them to never revert back to their old selves is one thing, but thinking both of them are going to repeat '05 and do it through '08 is iffy.

:huh

Contreras had a "break out" season... :huh:

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
:huh

Contreras had a "break out" season...  :huh:

You could say that. He was never as consistent as he was in 2005. In NY, he was out of the rotation a couple of times and in the pen because of inconsitency. He showed flashes of this in NY, but he was never someone they could depend on, as far as I saw.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
You could say that.  He was never as consistent as he was in 2005.  In NY, he was out of the rotation a couple of times and in the pen because of inconsitency.  He showed flashes of this in NY, but he was never someone they could depend on, as far as I saw.

I'll agree with that, but he showed strong signs of being able to do it, and handle it. It's not like he never stepped it up before.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 08:10 AM)
I see nothing wrong with anything Contreras is asking for, just I like I had no problem with what Garland was turning down what he did.  Good luck to Jose, as this will be the last big contract of his life.

agreed. You are talking about someone who pretty much has the most "ace" stuff on our starting staff, carried us through the 2nd half, and was our top of the rotation guy in the playoffs. What he is asking is actually a little under the market price for a guy like that.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 07:10 AM)
In the same article, the Cubune was mooting Contreras being part of a deal for Miggy Tejada. Contreras and Uribe for Tejada, I don't know if either team would do that still. But I think both parties may still discuss it.

I wish Tejada hadnt opened his big mouth. I dont want to hear these rumors anymore, let the Cubs overpay for him. The Sox already have their SS

For the 10 cents its worth. BRUUUUUUUUUCE Levine stated that there is a lot of interest in Contreras, and that he thought the Phillies had Abreau on the table for Contreras at one point.

Now conjecture and bulls*** aside, Contreras pitched like a number 1 for the second half of the season and into the playoffs. A team would give up a lot of this type of pitcher. If we do dump Contreras and people believe he has finally turned the corner, man if Abreau is on the table, what else is on the table.

Edited by southsideirish71

I'll just go on record with my official stance on the issue right now:

Keep Jose Contreras for the entire 2006 season and give it an honest go with all six starting pitchers on the roster. If given the option of signing either Garland or Contreras to an extension, I, too, would have inked Garland. I just get the feeling that Williams and Hahn laid it out in front of both Contreras and Garland and said we are looking to lock up either one or both of you--in so many words--to extensions this off-season and if we're unable to, we have to look to the future and look to the best interests of the ball club; it would appear Garland came around and now Contreras is on the outside looking in.

What it comes down to is this: if the Sox are looking for a repeat World Championship, a roster with all six starting pitchers--one in which McCarthy once again fills a sixth/spot-starter/long-man role--gives us the best chance.

Inking the younger of the two pitchers allows the Sox to keep both Garland and Contreras in 2006 without putting the starting rotation of the future in jeopardy. Williams was all about cost certainty and he got it. Keep Contreras. Keep McCarthy in the bullpen until needed for a spot-start--he's developed, this will not hurt any further development. Keep Garland.

Once again, Williams finds himself in the cat-bird's seat. I thought it was nearly impossible to do given the current state of the starting pitcher's market and the contractual status of both Garland and Contreras, but, he's done it once again.

Essentially, you've swapped the 58-year-old El Duque with Javier Vazquez...incredible.