• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

63. Matt Long, rhp

School: Miami (Ohio). Class: Sr.

Hometown: Granville, Ohio

B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-6. Wt.: 200. Birthdate: 2/23/84.

Scouting Report: Long was one of Ohio's top high school prospects in 2002, as scouts looked at his long, lean frame and expected his stuff would mature along with his body. After a detour for Tommy John surgery in 2004 and rehabilitating his elbow in 2005, those projections finally have come true this spring. Long's fastball now sits at 92-94 mph and has peaked at 96. His curveball was his best pitch in high school, and he has regained a hard, tight breaking ball. He also has shown the command and durability scouts hoped for. Miami has used him in relief, and he could move quickly if he remains in that role in pro ball. After turning down the Giants as a 34th-round pick last year, Long is now poised to go much higher, perhaps as early as the supplemental first round.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
With only 35 innings this year, Long could be pitching in the majors by the end of the year. He'll probably start at AA and move quickily.

The injury issues are a concern. But his stuff sounds good. If he can throw strikes he can move quickly.

From watching the scouting video, he sits at 91-93 (so I could see him touching 94-95) and had a really nice breaking pitch, an 11-to-5 hook (clocked at about 78 MPH). Also had good movement in on righties and away from lefties with his fastball.

I like the pick.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
From watching the scouting video, he sits at 91-93 (so I could see him touching 94-95) and had a really nice breaking pitch, an 11-to-5 hook (clocked at about 78 MPH). Also had good movement in on righties and away from lefties with his fastball.

I like the pick.

From a guy with prior elbow surgery, he has a really easy throwing motion.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
why are we drafting a closer? we have someone by the name of Bobby Jenks don't we?

a.) he could be used as a setup man

b.) he wouldn't be a closer for the big league team for at least a couple years

c.) he could be traded

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
Why didn't we take a power pitcher with our first pick? I'm sick of safe picks. Maybe there wasn't a shot at one, but does anyone know why? I'm sure there's more knowledgeable guys than me on this board.

I think Matt Long is (somewhat) considered a power pitcher. He sits at 92-94 and has a real nasty slider/curveball. Guys throwing 96-100 aren't going to be falling out of trees, and if they are, they probably can't find the strikezone.

Walden is still on the board -- I know a week ago, Jim Callis said that the Sox had some interest in him... I personally didn't see a whole lot in his scouting video, but again, that's coming from an untrained eye and from about a minute of video.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
Why didn't we take a power pitcher with our first pick? I'm sick of safe picks. Maybe there wasn't a shot at one, but does anyone know why? I'm sure there's more knowledgeable guys than me on this board.

Because you want to get a return on your draft picks, and this draft is considered very weak. Safe picks usually produce very well up until AA, and then can be flipped for major leaguers who are already producing. Or they can be very good middle of the rotation starters, which don't fall out of the sky.